Retrofitting a Shinx CNC router with CSMIO IP-A - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Retrofitting a Shinx CNC router with CSMIO IP-A

Downloads
    Uploads

The problem with Z could be a few things, if you want to zip your xml I will have a look and see if I can find the problem.
    Hood

Downloads
    Uploads

I do use Gerry's 2010 screenset (which I think he did a great job with), and it may have something to do with how it's put together since I recall in his instructions that he highly recommends against setting your home up from the switch.
    With my screenset, the Home switch needs to be at the top of the travel (and be set to Machine Coordinates Z zero). It's the only way to make sure that the Auto Zero functions wouldn't crash into the top of the Z on the multiple setups that people are using it on.

There are definitely a few things that work a little differently in Gerry's screenset than they do in Mach's standard screenset, but mostly I've found those differences to be improvements. It could be that it's a safety (machine, not personal) implementation that it won't home the Z without it being off the home switch. I do have separate switches for home and limits, so generally I'd be safe anyways if it went up from home.
    Actually, it should work pretty much exactly the same way that the standard screenset works. The buttons and DRO's are in different places, and look different, but any function in both the 2010 screenset and standard screenset should function exactly the same. Besides the additional featues, the only real difference is that the stock screen stores it's VB code in the buttons, and I have the buttons call macros (which contain the VB code). In use, the functionality of these buttons should be identical.

I didn't read every single thing you wrote, so I'm not sure exactly what type of issue your having. I've also never useany CS Labs products.
    But, if the Z won't home because it's on the switch, why not just modify your posts (or SafeZ in Mach3) to send it just below the switch. While in use, my z axis never goes all the way to the top except when it's Homing. I actually keep my Safe Z at -.5 to keep it away from the switch. My g-code typically sends it to the Park position, which is set the same as Safe Z. (Call M883 in the g-code to send it to the Park position)

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Gerry,
    I'm pretty good with mechanical and electrical stuff, but I'm really not that knowledgeable about scripting yet, though I am working on understanding that aspect of software. I'm probably more advanced at scripting within Bobcad's post processor than I am Mach, but I would be generous in calling myself anything other than a novice. If I understand, you're saying that everything in your screenset is based off of operations that exist within the software. I do have to say that your screenset provides an operator far more access to things like jogging that aren't there in Mach's standard screen, strictly from a user perspective, so for the novices it does seem that you've improved areas of it, even if only through accessibility. I think it was the "Z Inhibit" function that I was wondering about, but I can now see that it is related to depth of cut. Also the tool length system, but I don't think that's applicable for me anyways since I don't implement it. Thanks for the info, it sounds like there should be nothing to find there and will help me keep my search focused on my Mach settings.

Hood,
    I'm thinking it may have something to do with the way that my Z axis is set up mechanically. I'm not sure of the reason yet, as I set up Mach to work and didn't look any further, but my Z axis has always run backwards. Not to mention that I've never quite understood the Mach settings in the Homing system, which would indicate that Mach is homing positive (when I would think that means the motion from home would be negative), but in fact it homes to the negative, providing motion in the positive quadrant of X and Y. I assumed the label was just counter intuitive or poorly named, but perhaps there's something weird there. The Z axis is reversed because in it's normal state, if you jog positive, it moves down (and vice versa). I then had to check to "home negative" when it really seems more like it should be stating that it's homing positive which is again opposite of what I'd expect for settings. It seems like there could be some issues in there that may be the culprit. I've uploaded what I think is the XML, but you'll have to forgive me for not knowing for sure. It's the same name of file as the name of the icon I use to start up Mach, but with the XML extension. It's also the one most recently modified as I've been fooling with it much of the day.

https://files.secureserver.net/0sT82jCsMaUZb4

Downloads
    Uploads

I've also spent some time today working with some of the Mach settings that I hadn't previously had time to compare. One of the major changes, I think, is the use of the CV mode and setting the CV angle. I'm not sure yet of what drawbacks this may bring, but it does seem to make a significant impact on the speeds at which I can run some of those jobs where there are inside corners without getting really ugly corners. I may have a large job coming up with as much as 105,000 small interior squares to cut, so even a subtle increase in overall feedrate without the drop in corner quality is very welcome and could save half a day of machine time. The difference after tuning the servos a bit and using the CV feature so far seems to significantly reduce the time needed to make those cuts since the feedrate as a whole can be much higher, so I'm somewhat curious as to what the downside is. It's not perfect, and there is still a difference between a toolpath run at 2000mm/min and 3500mm/min making a 90 degree turn, but it's much closer with CV set up than it was previously.

Downloads
    Uploads

Try turning off Home Sw. Safety on General Config.

Will digest the rest of your info regards Z direction in a while when I get a bit more time.
    Hood

Downloads
    Uploads

If I understand, you're saying that everything in your screenset is based off of operations that exist within the software.
    Yes, although I've omitted some functions that I felt were not needed by the vast majority of Mach3 users.

You can't really change any of the functionality of mach3 with a screenset. Mach3 has predefined LED's and DRO's, and built in functions. You can pick and choose which ones you want to use, where you put them, and you can make them look any way you like.
    For example, the Goto Zero button is a built in Mach3 function. You can't change the way it functions if you choose to use that function. But, you could create a macro to do a similar function, and call that Goto Zero. You can also create your own DRO's and LED that are user defined for use with macros, to extend the capablities somewhat.

So basically, yes, all the stock Mach3 features in the 2010 screenset function exactly the same as the standard screenset. The methods used to activate them may look a bit different (ie, checkboxes vs buttons), but they perform the same functions.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the way that my Z axis is set up mechanically. I'm not sure of the reason yet, as I set up Mach to work and didn't look any further, but my Z axis has always run backwards.
    The normal way would be for Z fully up to be Zero in Machine coords and all moves down to be a negative value.

Not to mention that I've never quite understood the Mach settings in the Homing system, which would indicate that Mach is homing positive (when I would think that means the motion from home would be negative)
    That sounds correct

but in fact it homes to the negative, providing motion in the positive quadrant of X and Y.
    Not quite sure what you are meaning here, was thinking you were referring to Z but you mention X and Y.

I assumed the label was just counter intuitive or poorly named, but perhaps there's something weird there. The Z axis is reversed because in it's normal state, if you jog positive, it moves down (and vice versa).
    Sounds like you have your Z dir set wrong or the jog keys assigned wrong. The Z should move negative when going down and positive up. If that is not the case then you change in Homing and limits by choosing Reverse or not choosing it if already chosen. Normally you can also choose to change the Dir pin active state to do the same thing but if I recall that has no effect when using the CSMIO as they must only be looking at the Homing and Limits setting.

If however it is working correctly and it is only your Jog keys that are wrong then you can change them, how will depend on what you are actually using for Jog keys, ie keyboard or external.

Hood

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Hood, unchecking the box for "Home Sw. Safety" did the trick, though it's somewhat of a mystery to me why it only affected one of the two axis that were sitting on the limit switch. Regardless, it now homes properly while sitting on the switch, so there's one more thing checked off the punch list!

I think we're on the same page for the homing setup in Mach and I had set them up as you say. The jog buttons are correct, it's just backwards if you leave the setup the same as the X and Y axis. I checked the leadscrew to see if it's a mechanical difference, but the leadscrew is normal in that a clockwise motion draws the heads up to the homing switch the same as the other two axis. There aren't really any labels to the motor leads other than the Tach wires, so there is no way to know which main wire is which. Double checking the encoder shows it's the same as the other encoders. I may try reversing the motor leads later in the week, but for now I have to run some parts and don't want to tempt fate.

Thanks for the help, it's nice to be able to just hit Ref All without having to jog anything now!
    -Mike

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234