Help with losing steps in x+ only

Thread: Help with losing steps in x+ only

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help with losing steps in x+ only

New homebuilt machine, im losing steps in x+ occasionally. Im using Mach3 with ESS controller on a laptop with windows 7.

If i hit the jog y+ and then z+ , and then tap x+ key, my x axis motor wont turn but the numbers in mach3 move.

Now if i hit the y- and then z+ then tap my x+, it will move everytime.

Would this be a windows 7 issue, a laptop issue or an Ess issue?

Ive tried swapping out the x driver, ive tried xp on a desktop,.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help with losing steps in x+ only

Since it has done it with a desktop xp, and a laptop win7, i leaning towards a bad Ess controller?

I should have gone with linuxcnc i think.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a video demo of my problem.

Any ideas?...

Downloads
    Uploads

Well, i have swapped out a new driver,
    Tried a newer windows 7 laptop
    I have swapped x and z motor plugs and z acts the same way x acted.
    My logic points to the ess card but for the fact everything works if i hit the y- first.

Not looking for spoon fed answers here, just not sure what to try next? A new z book will be here Wednesday. After that, i guess an new ess card?

Also i have tried the drivertest but it says it does not sense a driver, maybe thats for parralel ports? Tired and frustrated. Lol

Downloads
    Uploads

I just looked at the product details and saw this:

The USS can be powered directly via USB. However, you need to make sure that you are using a quality USB cable. Some inferior USB cables can't carry a sufficient amount of current, in which case the 5V logic of the USS may perform erratically.

That might be a good place to start.I would suggest downloading LinuxCNC and running it from a live installation (either a usb memory stick or DVD,rather than a permanent installation) to see if the problem persists as well.One part would determine that the hardware was the source of the problem and the other would eliminate the Mach 3 installation and configuration.It must be hugely frustrating to have the machine sitting there apparently ready to go,but for an intermittent fault.A fault that is present every time is less exasperating as you can be sure that the fix will be just that and will last.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    I just looked at the product details and saw this:

The USS can be powered directly via USB. However, you need to make sure that you are using a quality USB cable. Some inferior USB cables can't carry a sufficient amount of current, in which case the 5V logic of the USS may perform erratically.

That might be a good place to start.I would suggest downloading LinuxCNC and running it from a live installation (either a usb memory stick or DVD,rather than a permanent installation) to see if the problem persists as well.One part would determine that the hardware was the source of the problem and the other would eliminate the Mach 3 installation and configuration.It must be hugely frustrating to have the machine sitting there apparently ready to go,but for an intermittent fault.A fault that is present every time is less exasperating as you can be sure that the fix will be just that and will last.
    Hey, thanks for the reply. My ESS does not use a usb connection and needs a 5v power supply. I have a good 5v power supply powering it.

I like the linuxcnc idea, if i can use my current hardware and controller for testing, that would be great.

Not sure if i need to buy a new controller and drivers to test linuxcnc. I will start reading up on linixcnc.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would be surprised if you need a new controller or drivers,at that level its about turning 0's and 1's into pulses that turn the steppers.If Linux is totally alien to your experience,don't be too alarmed.The main difference once you get it installed is that the start tab is at the top left hand corner of the monitor.You can try it without altering your computer in any way if you run it live.In step by step terms you need to (a) download the .iso image, (b) burn that image to a DVD or make a usb memory stick bootable,(c) apply the DVD or memory stick to your computer and make sure it selects whichever you are using as the first boot device.After a small amount of time the operating system desktop will appear and you should spend a little time exploring it.

Once it seems less alien open LinuxCNC and go to stepconf and fill in the values that apply to your machine to create the specific configuration.Save this for future use and then you can open this particular file and try moving your machine around.Do you have a program for generating the Gcode for a test piece?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    I would be surprised if you need a new controller or drivers,at that level its about turning 0's and 1's into pulses that turn the steppers.If Linux is totally alien to your experience,don't be too alarmed.The main difference once you get it installed is that the start tab is at the top left hand corner of the monitor.You can try it without altering your computer in any way if you run it live.In step by step terms you need to (a) download the .iso image, (b) burn that image to a DVD or make a usb memory stick bootable,(c) apply the DVD or memory stick to your computer and make sure it selects whichever you are using as the first boot device.After a small amount of time the operating system desktop will appear and you should spend a little time exploring it.

Once it seems less alien open LinuxCNC and go to stepconf and fill in the values that apply to your machine to create the specific configuration.Save this for future use and then you can open this particular file and try moving your machine around.Do you have a program for generating the Gcode for a test piece?
    I will give linuxcnc a try. Ive been reading about using the ESS controller with linuxcnc and have not found much encouraging info. I have zero experience with linuxcnc .

This is from the link below, " I do doubt that the smoothstepper card will work with linuxcnc since
    the smoothstepper does the trajectory planning on the card
    and linuxcnc requires the planning done in the computer.

Chris M"

Thats from 4 years ago so not sure whats new

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/38-genera...smooth-stepper

I was using the lazycam program to post code to mach 3. So i will probably need something similar for linuxCNC i imagine.
    Thanks again Sir.

Downloads
    Uploads

As a test, i loaded up mach3 on my wifes pretty much identical laptop and i experienced the exact same problem. So that makes 3 computers that have the same error. If i hit the y- last after setting up a cut in mach3, it works fine.

Here is an .032" endmill on 1/8" plywood . It looks clean.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with losing steps in x+ only-20190322_160424-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I think i will order another ESS card in the hopes that this one is a dud. If that and a new zbook doesnt work i will move to linuxcnc and be done with windows.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a similar vid showing the lights on the ESS as i hit the keys

Downloads
    Uploads

So i tried moving my x axis pins from pin 2 and 3 to pin 14 and 16 and it made no difference.

Then i tried and older version of mach3 and again, same problem.

I have a new ESS coming but john lee says its not an ESS controller issue so not sure what that means other than its my 3 computers.. i guess well see.

Downloads
    Uploads

So i finally fixed my machine. I took off the add on terminal board off my ESS board and wired a 26 pin plug from port 1 of my ESS directly to my drivers.

Whew.