Mach vs CNC12 vs ??

Thread: Mach vs CNC12 vs ??

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach vs CNC12 vs ??

Hello - I have a question that has probably been answered somewhere already, but I can't find specifically what I'm looking for..

I have an industrial CNC router from China (no ATC), it's a 48"x48" working size, floor standing, solid machine (similar to the 4x8 machines, but I wanted a smaller footprint)

It has Leadshine drivers and 750w servos on X, Y(2), and Z. (they are currently only using 3 drive outputs on the controller by sharing the single Y output between the two Y drives, so no squaring but it's soo beefy I'm not sure how possible and/or necessary squaring would be anyway)

It came with an XHC Mk3-v controller which has been quirky, and frankly concerns me that it will do something at some point to damage my machine.

I am going to swap the controller for something else, and want rock-solid, proven stability...

My first instinct is to swap for an ESS and either MB3, or C25XP breakout board, but that's only if I stay with Mach3 which is not a requirement as I have no experience/bias with the various controller software packages yet.
    My questions...
    Blank slate, what controller/software would you choose for a machine like this? If the answer is Mach3, then ESS controller? with either MB3, or C25XP? Other suggestions?
    I think I need to make a decision based on SW first, then that defines the controller option(s)

Thanks in advance!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mach vs CNC12 vs ??

ESS - MB3 - Mach4.
    UC300eth - UB1/UD1 - UCCNC.

That's about all I'd bother with from a basic/hobby user pov.
    Have a play with the software demos and see what you like best.
    Also check out the cncdrive and warp9 related forums.

There is also industrial options such as Acorn.

Downloads
    Uploads

Great, thank you! I hadn’t looked at UCCNC so that’s another option I’ll look into. I am somewhat familiar with Acorn as I bought one to convert a milling machine but haven’t had time for that project yet - not sure how CNC12 compares to Mach, or UCCNC… also very curious about Mach4 - some say it’s light years ahead of Mach3, while others say it’s buggy and to avoid it.

If Acorn is a more industrial option, I’d certainly head down that road as the cost is comparable with the other options.

Thanks again for the information - heading off to read up on UCCNC now..

Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I use Mach4 and an ESS and have done so for seven-eight years.....so I am biased. All development on Mach3 ceased seven or eight years ago, and I also found Cypress Enable, the dialect
    of VB that Mach3 uses for scripting to be atrocious. I elected to go to Mach4 which uses Lua. Lua itself has its quirks and detractors but it light years ahead of VB.

I have made my own breakout board, all three ESS ports developed, with 12 differential outputs (six pairs) for the servos, 31 24V tolerant inputs and 8 general purpose outputs, two of which are
    dedicated to a spindle. It is, if you like, a personalised version of the MB3. The MB3 has won much praise for its quality and well thought out design.

I've a friend whom uses UCCNC and it compares favourably with Mach4, with subtle differences, I prefer Mach4 where he prefers UCCNC. I did experiment with LinuxCNC and it was very impressive.
    If you are capable of coding in C/C++ then LinuxCNC is truly the king of versatility.....if however you prefer the comfort of a Windows PC the Mach4 or UCCNC are both good.

Another possibilty is the likes of Centroid Acorn. Its both the CNC software and a dedicated motion control from the one manufacturer. Its intended to be as near 'turn key' as possible
    and has generated some favorable reviews. It does lack the flexibility of Mach4 or LinuxCNC, but for regular three and four axis machines that flexibilty is a moot point.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Great - thank you for the information, I do like the MB3 with ESS, and it seems like Mach4 isn’t as scary as I’d heard - although those reviews were a few years old so maybe it’s more stable now?

Specifically between Mach4 and CNC12(acorn), is there a strong argument for either side, or does it just come down to personal preference?

I do have a P4-S mpg that works with Mach, but I don’t think it’s supported in CNC12, although that isn’t a strong enough factor to sway my decision.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

and it seems like Mach4 isn’t as scary as I’d heard - although those reviews were a few years old so maybe it’s more stable now?
    Believe it or not Mach4 has ALWAYS been more stable than Mach3....that was the major impetus for its being developed in the first place. The real reason that it gathered some negative
    reviews is because its different to Mach3. So many people are used to Mach3 and its many shortcomings/quirks/workarounds that they assume its 'standard' when it most definitely is not.
    Mach4 tries and very closely emulates Fanuc 21i.

Mach4 is a structured program with a distinct Lua dominated API and is for most people a steep learning curve......and many hate learning something new...especially if they think they
    are already expert in a given software. Mach4 will infuriate those people.

The good news is that its just so much better all around. Nearly all Mach3 Gcode will run seamlessly on a Mach4 machine, so its not the Gcode that changes, but rather the organisation of the
    program itself.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Great to hear, thank you for the clarification. I have no experience with Mach3, so the changes in Mach4 are invisible to me.