Supermax YCM-40 AB Bandit IV controller replacement

Thread: Supermax YCM-40 AB Bandit IV controller replacement

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Supermax YCM-40 AB Bandit IV controller replacement

Hi all.
    I am purchasing an in "almost new" condition YCM-40 with an AB Bandit 4 controller. The mill has less than 40 hours on it. It has been in a garage for many years and never connected to power since the person bought it.

Funny enough, the first controller I used was a Bandit 4.

That said, it was great in 1988, but not so much now. Since the mill is in basically from the showroom condition, I am hoping I can take an easy path to getting it up and running.

For power, I have a 10HP rotary phase converter that I plan to connect the mill to. Would there be any benefit to going to an VFD, since I already have the rotary converter?

Does anyone have experience replacing just the controller on this style mill? I have it in my head to strip out the AB components, and replace with an Mach 3 or 4 PC and motion controller. I hope it will be this simple, but something tells me I'm dreaming and will have to do a lot more than simply take out old controller components and replace with new items. This is where I have absolutely no experience, and will be learning from scratch. Any info will give me a leg up!

I pick up the mill Friday, so don't have specific info regarding servos, etc.

Thank you!