Newbie SMC 4-4 Failure

Thread: SMC 4-4 Failure

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy SMC 4-4 Failure

Hello Everyone,
    At the risk of being yelled at for being in the wrong forum I can only say that I have spent countless hours scouring the internet for answers to my problem, all without a result
    Here is the text of my original post:
    SMC 4-4-16A-16B D Connector Pin Connections

Hi CNC Experts and Newbies,
    I have recently bought the abovenamed off-line unit to replace my aging, treacle-slow Windows 7 laptop which was used to run my 6040 Milling setup. The laptop finally died and I'm trying to resume machining afresh with a more appropriate stand-alone unit.
    As noted elsewhere, the Chinglish so-called manual is very light on connection details for such things as limit switch inputs, E-Stop connection, etc.
    Has anyone with the greater knowledge than most of us actually wired one of these units so that the Spindle control, Motor inputs, etc., are laid out in the way some of the earlier BIQU breakout boards were shared on this forum?
    It would be really useful if we could have a schematic for all the D connectors when used with six separate X, Y and Z axis + and - Home and Limit switches. I'm not too sure which wire from the NO or NC microswitch should go to which terminal.
    Also I'm not sure how to wire the Emergency off switch.
    The control for the Spindle, I recall, is connected to the PWM output but, again, I'm really unsure about this. My 1.6kW Spindle driver has 'AVI - 10V - COM' input terminals and I think I could do some damage by getting it wrong so I prefer to 'fess up my ignorance.
    Any help or pointers will always be gratefully received.

I have since managed to get the End Stop Switches and the E Stop Switch test to work, so obviously the Input connections are okay.
    Also, the spindle works fine on manual setting, using the 0-10V Output to my Spindle Drive electronics. So far, so good...

My problem remains; No matter what settings I put into the multitude of windows, the four axes are completely dead.
    The motors rotate freely so there is no energising of the windings.
    I have been unable to find any guidance on the allocation of numbers in the Output windows which I think is the source of the trouble.
    The Chinglish manual is almost impossible to decipher so I would be infinitely grateful if some kind person would post some screen shots of their working system. At least that way I can reduce the number of incorrect settings.

I am considering replacing this poorly supported unit with something a bit more accessible to an ageing hobbyist but I suspect I would end up with a similar problem. Most of the likely candidates seem to have declined to print a comprehensible user manual too!

Forgive me if I have stumbled into the wrong forum. It's an occupational hazard when desperation rules

Cheers,
    Trooble.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SMC 4-4 Failure

Hi Trooble,

If your steppers rotate freely, that indicates that the stepper drives are not operational or they have their "enable" signals (actually "disable") set high. The controller unit doesn't necessarily have anything to do with this. What stepper drives do you use and how have you connected them? If you have connected the drive "enable" inputs to the controller, try disconnecting them first. For example, on a typical "DM542A" or "new TB6600" type single-motor drives the enable input doesn't need to be connected, unless you want to power down the motor windings for some reason while the system is powered on.

The SMC4-4 controller is not quite bad for the price, although it's not as good as the alternatives twice as expensive. Should be good enough for a basic 6040 setup.

Corhoin Wizardonik Customworks, Finland *** Ham Radio: OH2CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: SMC 4-4 Failure

Quote Originally Posted by Corhoin View Post
    Hi Trooble,

If your steppers rotate freely, that indicates that the stepper drives are not operational or they have their "enable" signals (actually "disable") set high. The controller unit doesn't necessarily have anything to do with this. What stepper drives do you use and how have you connected them? If you have connected the drive "enable" inputs to the controller, try disconnecting them first. For example, on a typical "DM542A" or "new TB6600" type single-motor drives the enable input doesn't need to be connected, unless you want to power down the motor windings for some reason while the system is powered on.

The SMC4-4 controller is not quite bad for the price, although it's not as good as the alternatives twice as expensive. Should be good enough for a basic 6040 setup.
    Hello Corhoin,
    Thanks for taking the time to respond to my query. I eventually discovered the cure, which is exactly as you describe. I had effectively disabled the drivers by incorrectly setting the EN pins. All is well.

In the meantime I decided to upgrade to the DDCSV 3.1 controller to try something a little more versatile and with a Spindle Path display and quality MPG. This seems to be a reasonable compromise between cost and complexity and it will fit nicely into my enclosure.
    At least it has a decent User Manual and refined MPG so I hope to be a bit further along the (steep) learning curve in a few weeks. My ageing brain struggles more and more these days but I try to keep it challenged, even at this fairly simple level...

Again, many thanks for your kind assistance,
    Trooble.