Masso G3 Wonders

Thread: Masso G3 Wonders

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Masso G3 Wonders

I almost don't buy Masso because of this forum!!!!!

This is not a rant, but a post to anyone looking for an opinion about a great controller.

I am in Australia and somehow found a second hand Shapeoko, original form, old white controller, 600 x 600 machine size...

I started having issues with disconnects with the machine and the support guys form Carbide 3d suggested to purchase a new updated board...

This was my entry to GRBL and arduino based CNC (after years of building my own based on arduino mega)

Well, i looked around for other options and got a really nice openbuilds blackbox, WAY better but still needing more....... i started to cut aluminium and also made upgrades to the machine, Steroids...

Masso G3 Wonders-image1-png

I was looking for tool changing functionality and also better probing and lastly 4 or 5 axis control...

Searching the web i found MASSO, and remembering i used to be part of this forum (long time ago, 2009) i looked for opinions inside the forum, and found what other 2 friends told me, not mature product, lack of support, ETC...

somehow, being stubborn and after some YouTube videos from CNCNUTZ, i decided to but a MASSO G3

Masso G3 Wonders-image2-jpg

All of the sudden, all my dreams came true, all my issues flew away and NO MORE reliability issues, not even a PC on the control side of things, so happy...

Really...

I cant be happier!!!!!!

i have an ATC coming and this thing controls tool changer PERFECTLY

Support has been immediate and effective, i wonder why i cant see way more people using this boards....

i added my own version of swivel control panel with buttons (wanted to use some of the many inputs)

Masso G3 Wonders-image3-jpg

Every day cutting 6061 alu, making parts for telescopes, and Masso has been a perfect companion for me...

I am no one to say this is really AWESOME, compared with people that operates BIG CNC mills, i have only been on the struggles of smaller machines and limitations from GRBL systems, this controller won my heart as soon as the first chip flew off the bit...

This thing can control mills, lathes, plasma and laser, 2,3,4,5 axis machines, supports Linear, umbrella, and whatever ATC, the manual tool change routine is also a beauty, Tool setter, and probing, all flavors, the best, NO PC.....

I transfer the files via WIFI, the cycle start button begins the fun and she goes....

Not a glitch, and everything i want, it does......

I really hope the next person looking for Masso finds this post.... this controller improved my productivity, no limits...

Masso G3 Wonders-image4-jpg

Last edited by burs; 01-20-2022 at 10:01 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Masso G3 Wonders

thanks for your review, I have been getting tired of dealing with PC issues over the years while running Mach3. Mach3 has served me well but PC based systems can be a pain with constant system updates , etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

Found this post and purchased a Masso because of it, so Thanks!
    Unit is in transit now, hope you are still happy with it!

Downloads
    Uploads

@aventgps Thank you for the initial post. Can you talk about your experience on the following since you've had some time on the machine? (also your image links aren't working - so I'd be curious to see those)

Have you noticed any issues with resolution at the edges or steps being lost?
    Are you running just a mill? Have you used the other software options?
    Have you done any relief cutting with it? Do you have pictures of the quality?
    General thoughts on features and capabilities since you've been using it for a while?
    How do you feel about their support and their forum? Since as you said most "outsiders" seem to dump on it and even their FB is pretty dead.

Thank you for this - I've been looking at cheaper Chinese offline controllers, but none of them seem to have a slave Y axis option for squaring the gantry (something I want my controller to have as eventually I'd like to upgrade to a rack and pinion Y axis, which could easily go out of square while it's off).

Quick question - I saw someone mentioned that Masso can't do proper relief cuts, but didn't see much details on what that means. Any experience with doing relief cuts on your setup?

Man thank you for this. I can say ive been on the fence about getting a Masso, i'm probably 80% leaning towards it. What you said pushed me over the edge!

My business builds furniture for recording studios, dangerfox.com. My Laguna Smartshop 2 CNC router is where every bit of our product starts. Yes its a $55k machine, but the controler in it is awful, and I mean REALLY BAD! You'd think for the money it would be waaaay better, but no sir its not. Ive had it for 3.5 years and have had issues since day one and it all seems to stem from the controller and the B&R drivers.

We've been looking tp upgrade to another machine like felder, homag centaqu and Onsrud but ws trying to hold out on spending that much cash, they are amazing and also a pretty penny.

So we've deciding to gut the smartshop and retrofit it with a Masso and servos motors. This will allow us some more time to upgrade and also have a screamin machine.

I can tell the Masso is amazing and seems extremly reliable. I guess time will tell, but I feel really confident with this move.

Thanks for reading all my rambles... Also thank you again for your comments on Masso, they really helped!

Quote Originally Posted by aventgps View Post
    I almost don't buy Masso because of this forum!!!!!

This is not a rant, but a post to anyone looking for an opinion about a great controller.

I am in Australia and somehow found a second hand Shapeoko, original form, old white controller, 600 x 600 machine size...

I started having issues with disconnects with the machine and the support guys form Carbide 3d suggested to purchase a new updated board...

This was my entry to GRBL and arduino based CNC (after years of building my own based on arduino mega)

Well, i looked around for other options and got a really nice openbuilds blackbox, WAY better but still needing more....... i started to cut aluminium and also made upgrades to the machine, Steroids...

I was looking for tool changing functionality and also better probing and lastly 4 or 5 axis control...

Searching the web i found MASSO, and remembering i used to be part of this forum (long time ago, 2009) i looked for opinions inside the forum, and found what other 2 friends told me, not mature product, lack of support, ETC...

somehow, being stubborn and after some YouTube videos from CNCNUTZ, i decided to but a MASSO G3

All of the sudden, all my dreams came true, all my issues flew away and NO MORE reliability issues, not even a PC on the control side of things, so happy...

Really...

I cant be happier!!!!!!

i have an ATC coming and this thing controls tool changer PERFECTLY

Support has been immediate and effective, i wonder why i cant see way more people using this boards....

i added my own version of swivel control panel with buttons (wanted to use some of the many inputs)

Every day cutting 6061 alu, making parts for telescopes, and Masso has been a perfect companion for me...

I am no one to say this is really AWESOME, compared with people that operates BIG CNC mills, i have only been on the struggles of smaller machines and limitations from GRBL systems, this controller won my heart as soon as the first chip flew off the bit...

This thing can control mills, lathes, plasma and laser, 2,3,4,5 axis machines, supports Linear, umbrella, and whatever ATC, the manual tool change routine is also a beauty, Tool setter, and probing, all flavors, the best, NO PC.....

I transfer the files via WIFI, the cycle start button begins the fun and she goes....

Not a glitch, and everything i want, it does......

I really hope the next person looking for Masso finds this post.... this controller improved my productivity, no limits...

Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone tested the Masso G-3 Touch?

Downloads
    Uploads

I've just received one.
    Looks good out of the box, just waiting for a login to set it up.

I had a very positive experience with Masso G3 as well. I can second the CNC NUTZ videos are absolutely awesome for anyone getting in on this - I referred to them many many times on my build.

I just recently posted my machine build with it (including soundproofing enclosure)
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/open-...-thoughts.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pk7639 View Post
    I've just received one.
    Looks good out of the box, just waiting for a login to set it up.
    Didn't have time to wait for a response so I have ordered a unit myself. ???? Just received the package and can't wait to start assembling.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MrEmo View Post
    Didn't have time to wait for a response so I have ordered a unit myself. ???? Just received the package and can't wait to start assembling.
    Got the software loaded this afternoon. Realistically it'll be a few months before I have an informed opinion. I WILL be implementing a toolchanger though.
    We've just built a batch of machines with DDCS V3.1 controllers. Not really in the same class (or price range) as the G3 Touch, but I kinda like them.

Quote Originally Posted by pk7639 View Post
    Got the software loaded this afternoon. Realistically it'll be a few months before I have an informed opinion. I WILL be implementing a toolchanger though.
    We've just built a batch of machines with DDCS V3.1 controllers. Not really in the same class (or price range) as the G3 Touch, but I kinda like them.
    I'll be curious to see your thoughts on the tool changer capability of the Masso G3... I'm upgrading to a machine with ATC and vacuum that's running RichAuto B57, and I think if I really hate it, I'll have to rewire it for Masso G3 in the future...

Downloads
    Uploads

I really really hope everyone that ordered a Masso gets a "good" control. My experience with them has been nothing short of a nightmare.
    I'm running a G2 and it's not even a good boat anchor because it's not heavy enough! It bogs down when approaching the 10000 line limit on the screen display to a point where the machine is waiting for the code to get there. after the limit is hit my machine takes off running smooth...of course in the mean time the bit is just sitting there burning while it's waiting for code.
    They gave me some BS about it will bog when loading the file and the graphics...side stepping the actual question about it bogging after "cycle start"
    I can only use their probing cycle for G54. It will NOT probe for the other 5 WCs. So much for keeping a number of fixtures on the table, "zeroed in" ready to go!
    If anybody in here wants it they can have mine for $50. I'm ripping it out this weekend so I can put Mach3 back in and get back to making some money.
    My personal experience and opinion is Mach3, even though it's discontinued was light years ahead of the G2.

That is an unfortunate experience. I wonder if there is a way to have the controller bypass the graphics so that the controller just focuses on processing the G code? Not that you are looking for a new Masso, but I think there is a significant difference in processing power between the G2 and G3 - I believe in part as a response to user feedback. Since you are considering PC based controllers, have you looked at the Centroid Acorn as an alternative? I believe Centroid has been in the CNC business for decades, and I have seen many good reviews for its controllers.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I really like my G3 and when I get my new machine with RichAuto B57 I'll probably be looking for a reason to rip it out and buy a new Masso (selling my current machine in advance of new one getting in).

I did hear really good things about Acorn, but having run UCCNC and Mach3, and also seeing my buddy's Syntec, I'm partial to dedicated controllers.