Newbie My 3018 CNC Pro Project

Thread: My 3018 CNC Pro Project

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My 3018 CNC Pro Project

Hi Everyone.

This is my first post, I think it's in the right place, let me dive in and give the details....

tldr; skip to the end, I'm after some advice on doing a spindle upgrade. (Search for The big project)

I've recently purchased a 3018 Pro CNC as a hobby project. I'm doing this for a couple of reasons.

1. I love learning new things and being able to get in the door with CNC projects is a good step for me.
    2. It's a good challenge to help stop me going stir crazy during this world virus lockdown (ok enough about that, I promise)

So, what machine did I get,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    It's the 3018 Pro-m + 7W here's the specs

CNC Control board - Woodpecker 3.4 running GRBL 1.1f
    Offline controller module to allow the CNC to be operated without a computer, using SD card to store the programming files
    ER11 Collet set, with sizes up to 7mm, but I've only used the 3.175mm (1/8") at the moment, it's suited all my needs so far.
    7000mW Laser module (I've not tried this yet, might do at a later stage, but not right now.

On getting the machine and setting it up, I have been impressed with the build quality and the construction, it feels solid and I've been learning loads from various youtube videos.

I've already started to modify the machine. Yep, this is why It's a hobby. My plan is to get it to be able to cut aluminium so that I can make precision brackets that look good.

The upgrades that I've done so far are as follows...

1. Upgraded the cable runs so that they are properly sheathed, this is to help protect the cabling and prevent cable snagging.
    2. Added a Z-Probe. purchased from Banggood, Just needed to add a couple of Dupount connectors and plugged it in, worked straight away.
    3. Stopped using the "offline controller" it's too basic for me.

Instead of the offline controler, I've decided to try something completely different. I can't afford Mach3/4 so decided to try the UGS Platform. This is running on a Raspberry PI 4 (4GB) with a 10" touchscreen, (the official pi touchscreen is to small for the software to be useful)
    Using a computer rather than the offline controller affords several great opportunities.

1. I can make use of all the features of the WoodPecker board (Limit switchs and Z-Probe)
    2. I can upload the G-code to the PI rather than having to mess about with SD Cards.
    3. Having a decent screen for the G-code sender allows me much more convenient control of the machine and better feedback. I can see what the machine software is planning to do, and not having to trust my memory)
    4. I can alter setting settings in the CNC.

My workflow from is going to be something along these lines....

1. initial design will be in my head, then scribbled on paper/doodled.
    2. CAD will be done in Fusion 360 (I'm a newbie at that too. yep, I'm really jumping in at the deep end)
    3. CAM will also be done in Fusion 360.
    4. The output .nc will be uploaded to the PI
    5. I'll load the stock, anchoring it with the cheap butterly clamps. (they work for now, I'm sure that I will upgrade them later)
    6. Load the correct bit, and make sure it's done up tight.
    7. set the 0 position for the machine. X&Y will be done manually, Z-Using the z-probe which I just installed
    8. I'll load the .nc file
    9. I'll double check everything is set right.
    10. start the program and hope my tool doesn't snap.

I've got a load of upgrades lined up for my milling machine. As I already said, I've done some of them already

1. Upgrade the offline controller to a Raspberry PI (done)
    2. better cable management (done)
    3. z-probe (done)
    4. Optical Limit switches - these are in the post and it will be a while before I have them installed.
    5. Upgrade the 775 Spindle to a 500W Spindle (This is a big project)
    6. Upgrade the Z-Axis from being 3d printed to full metal.

The big project that I need help with is the upgrading the 775 Spindle to the 500W Spindle.

What I'd like to do is have the UGS software still be able to control the spindle, but the 500W spindle will needs to be powered separately from the woodpecker board.

This is the spindle that I have https://www.banggood.com/Machifit-ER...r_warehouse=CN

The power supply has a POT for controlling the spindle speed, however I don't think that the output on the woodpecker board will be compatible.

To that end, I am thinking about getting a different power supply, I've found this one, which has a 0-10v input....
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32389962413.html

I'm not planning on doing this until have the Upgraded Z-Axis and can plug and play the new module as one.
    I can also see that will need to make an enclosure for that power supply, looks like it's meant to go inside a box/cage so that fingers cannot get there.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has any experience hooking up a 500W Spindle to a woodpecker board?
    I'm wondering if the output voltage from the spindle connector can be made compatible with the speed controller?
    Do I need to get the Mach3 power supply or can this work with using the POT input instead?

Is there anything posted that will help me to get this part of the project done?