Need Help! Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations

Thread: Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations

Default Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 1988 Millport 3KVHC 3 axis Milling machine with a Anilam Crusader M control system. I was told that some time ago the CRT screen quit working and someone was brought in to do some trouble shooting on it. Anyways it never got fixed and the machine was just used in manual mode until I bought it. I plan to upgrade the control system, but I would like to get it working first so that I know the parts I plan to keep work, and maybe I can sell some of the old controller parts to help to pay for some of the newer control system.

I opened up the panel behind the CRT screen and noticed a capacitor that was all corroded and misshaped so I changed the cap. Then I noticed a few cables disconnected in the main lower control cabinet, so I matched the labels on the cables to the markings on the board. After this I had my fingers crossed that it would work, but not luck. The fans turn on in the control box, and the power supply has 5v, 12v and 15v etc, but nothing else seems to be live. pressing buttons on the control face does nothing, and it makes no sounds when you try the buttons. (I was told that even when the screen died, the machine could still jog, and even run programs if you knew what order to press the buttons without having the screen)

I'm hoping for some guidance before I dig deeper into troubleshooting this thing.

I'm trying to figure out the following

1) Are all the correct cards here and in the correct spots? ( It has 4 cards total, 1 green,1 red, 1 black and 1 white)
    The red and black cards match the dots on the case
    It looks like maybe green dot fell off the case?
    The white card is not where the white dot on the case is? but if I move the white card to where the white dot is, there are no plastic rails that would support a card?
    There is no orange card
    Update, I found out that the orange card in the main controller card, so I definitely need that one
    The is no blue card
    Update, sounds like the blue card is only used for additional I/O's
    Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations-1-jpg
    Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations-2-jpg
    2) The following 2 connectors were disconnected on the back of what looks like the main board. I matched the I/O3 and I/O4 labeled cables to their respective locations marked I/O3 and I/O4 on the board. This seemed simple, but these locations don't lineup with any of the installed cards? this makes me think i'm missing the orange card, and that the white card needs to move over?
    Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations-4-jpg
    Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations-5-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations-3-jpg  
    Last edited by colegobin; 11-09-2019 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Edited the year of the machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations

I'd suggest you to upgrade it to modern controller like Acorn and maybe Clearpath servos

Taig 2018 Mill
    Delta Vh3600

Downloads
    Uploads

How did I miss this thread? I have a machine about like yours. Did you ever get it running?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by colegobin View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 1988 Millport 3KVHC 3 axis Milling machine with a Anilam Crusader M control system. I was told that some time ago the CRT screen quit working and someone was brought in to do some trouble shooting on it. Anyways it never got fixed and the machine was just used in manual mode until I bought it. I plan to upgrade the control system, but I would like to get it working first so that I know the parts I plan to keep work, and maybe I can sell some of the old controller parts to help to pay for some of the newer control system.

I opened up the panel behind the CRT screen and noticed a capacitor that was all corroded and misshaped so I changed the cap. Then I noticed a few cables disconnected in the main lower control cabinet, so I matched the labels on the cables to the markings on the board. After this I had my fingers crossed that it would work, but not luck. The fans turn on in the control box, and the power supply has 5v, 12v and 15v etc, but nothing else seems to be live. pressing buttons on the control face does nothing, and it makes no sounds when you try the buttons. (I was told that even when the screen died, the machine could still jog, and even run programs if you knew what order to press the buttons without having the screen)

I'm hoping for some guidance before I dig deeper into troubleshooting this thing.

I'm trying to figure out the following

1) Are all the correct cards here and in the correct spots? ( It has 4 cards total, 1 green,1 red, 1 black and 1 white)
    The red and black cards match the dots on the case
    It looks like maybe green dot fell off the case?
    The white card is not where the white dot on the case is? but if I move the white card to where the white dot is, there are no plastic rails that would support a card?
    There is no orange card
    Update, I found out that the orange card in the main controller card, so I definitely need that one
    The is no blue card
    Update, sounds like the blue card is only used for additional I/O's
    Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations-1-jpg
    Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations-2-jpg
    2) The following 2 connectors were disconnected on the back of what looks like the main board. I matched the I/O3 and I/O4 labeled cables to their respective locations marked I/O3 and I/O4 on the board. This seemed simple, but these locations don't lineup with any of the installed cards? this makes me think i'm missing the orange card, and that the white card needs to move over?
    Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations-4-jpg
    Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations-5-jpg
    Here's how they are in a working machine

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations-img_20200209_164909-jpg  
    Taig 2018 Mill
    Delta Vh3600

Downloads
    Uploads

I can confirm that the Crusader M will jog even with a dead CRT (but you won't be able to tell if you are in feed, rapid, or jog1/2/3 mode). I just replaced my CRT with an LCD for $265 in parts--I've documented the process here: https://suryadesign.com/upgrading-th...rusader-m-cnc/

The old owner of the machine just found the Orange controller board! so I'm going to pick it up next week. if i get lucky it might work with the caps I changed in the CRT display!

Thanks! As I dive into it I might have a couple more questions for you. It looks like my "White" card is not in the proper location.Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations-capture-jpg

Wow this is very helpful! I did see someone buy an LCD conversion kit and install it (i think it was on youtube) but it was very expensive, this is a great solution. Thanks!

I just went back out and looked at the machine again and remembered that it doesn't have the plastic guide rails to hold the card in the location where the white dot is? Where the white card is currently located, it doesn't look like any wires connected to that I/O location on the back of the "motherboard" card?

So i'm not sure if I need to somehow install the plastic guide rails where the white dot is
    or
    Can I leave the card where it is (and do I have to move the wire on the backside of the mother board from where the white dot is, to where the white card actually sits?) like the photo below?
    Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations-capture-jpg
    Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations-capture-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anilam Crusader M - # of Cards and Card Locations-capture-jpg  

Yes this is probably the path I will eventually go. But I would really like to get the machine operational before swapping the controls, so I know what works and what doesn't (like servo motors, power supply, servo drives etc) This could help me decide what I keep and what i change

I was looking at the AllInOne controller as I would work with my existing DC servos and power supply.

But the Acorn is much cheaper, so maybe I could use it with Step/direction to analog converters and keep my DC servos and drivers, or maybe I swap my DC servos to step and direction and it would still be cheaper than using the all in one. I will have to do some more reading.

Cheers
    Cole