CNC for beginner

Thread: CNC for beginner

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC for beginner

Hello, I am a hobby woodworker, new to CNC, and I have obtained a CNC3040 router for engraving and cutting 20mm plywood templates, and I am looking for the best software to connect.

My computer is a HP Compaq dc7700 with 32 bit Windows 7 Home Premium. This computer has a 25 pin parallel port and USB 2.0 ports

Can anyone please recommend a suitable software package for my application? Also, what type of connection and additional hardware will I need between the PC and the CNC3040 control box?

regards to all,

Jill

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC for beginner

Welcome!

Supply a link to the Manufacturers/Product page and/or photographs of the machine and the controller it came with.

Show the panels and connectors if you can.

Did it come with any software? (Names etc) would be useful.
    Did it come with any cables or other accessories?

There are many variations to a generic description of a "CNC 3040 Router".

There are many software packages around ranging from Freeware (typically Linux based but drawing applications may also run under Windows) through to expensive combinations.

Have a look at SimplyCam (from MR-Soft Nc Software Tools), not free or expensive but fully featured as a demo download and simple to use for what you describe (and runs on Windows)). It also has an inbuilt GRBL control if this would work via USB or Serial ports with your machine.

Others might suggest other software/packages (the "best software" is somewhat subjective :-)) but with no details of your machine it's all a bit vague right now.