Newbie Retrofitting Hercus VMC 300

Thread: Retrofitting Hercus VMC 300

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Retrofitting Hercus VMC 300

Hello all,

So I'm looking at installing a new control system for a Hercus VMC 300 that I pulled apart a few months back, It was running on a control system made by a local company but unfortunately they're no longer around.

It runs on 4 Electro-Craft motors; The three axis are all the same motor type (S240-1A8 REVM, P/N 0240-04-022) And the spindle is a little beefier (S644-3A REV L, P/N 0644-01-034).

Being quite new to retrofitting a machine from the guts up by myself, I was looking for some advice on control systems compatible with Mach3/4, I'd prefer to keep the original motors and just buy a plug and play kit, But will upgrade the motors if that's easier.

I am looking at installing limit switches and tool height detectors too, So the ability to interface tools is also a goal of mine.

Budget is $800-1000

If you have any questions or would like photos for a better understanding for what I mean I can do that

P.s. I live in NSW, Australia.

Kind regards,
    Aaron.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Retrofitting Hercus VMC 300

I see that this is an older thread and you got no replies. I have a Hercus v300 mill that I did a retrofit on. I used a breakout board from PMDX a 126 model. I also used their speed output board. Going from memory the motor control I used is a KBWT-240. I used gecko drives for the servos. model 320x. I put it all together and got it working. I immediately realized I needed a bigger mill so the hercus has sat idle since. I replaced it with a bigger mill. I'm keeping it around because some day it will have a niche thing it can run when the other mill is busy. If you need any other information let me know.

I do recommend that you consider something other than mach 3. I just replaced the mach 3 control on the big mill with an acorn and will probably do the same with my other machines.