New Machine Build Help needed with settings i think.. Galaad / Kay

Thread: Help needed with settings i think.. Galaad / Kay

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help needed with settings i think.. Galaad / Kay

Hi all .,

I have buildt myself a cnc machine " workbee 1500*1500 " with acme ball screws.

Im using Nema 23 57BYGH 23HS9430 Stepper Motors and DM542A drivers , 2 psu´s 36v 9Amp "one for 2 steppers" so getting 4.5Amp to each stepper ,,, 24v 5amp psu for the Axemotion Pulsar Board

I have the Axemotion Pulsar board and galaad / kay for control

Im having problems with the movements , i have set all 4 drivers to 3200 steps , have sat the pitch to 8mm as suppose to , all axis to 3200 steps and using coupled Y axis..

Now my problem is that when i run the X axis i get perfectly smooth movement and the right travel distance.

BUT ., when i try to run the Y or Z axis im getting a travel distance of 40mm instead of 10mm , and if i try to run with feedspeed above 30mm/s the Y axis will stall randomly on right or left stepper and the gantry gets skewed..

Im not getting stalls on the Z axis but not getting right travel distance..

I have been using kay as a controller for about a year now with an old isel machine and not really had any problems... so wondering if im doing something wrong here..

Another issue im having is to try and run with a slave axis instead , cause no matter what i try i never get any movement on the stepper..

I tried all settings i can for 4th and 5th axis... as independent axis , lathe , Y X Z slave but i can never move the stepper one bit in manual control.. i know its setup correctly with wiring as it works as a coupled axis... and the X works perfectly and everything is wired in the same way in my box..

So there must be something im doing wrong with the parameters in galaad that im just not seeing...

So im really there are some " nerds " with enourmous brains that can help me out

If anyone needs pictures ., please just tell me what u need pictures of and ill post them..

Best regards ,

Kristjan

Ps: im posting almost the same post in woodworking forum also..

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help needed with settings i think.. Galaad / Kay

1) The correct step setting is (stepper motor steps per revolution) * (Screw revolutions per inch) * (microstepping ratio).
    If all the screws and motors are the same, then you can use one setting for all. However most systems have different screws for Z axis.
    2) Stalling can can be caused by a variety of things including incorrect setting on the driver, binding of the screw, and vibration to name three.
    3) If you are having trouble running a slaved stepper, you cnd wire the input to the drivers in parallel. That is, the Pulse, Direction, and Enable outputs for one axis from the breakout board are wired to both drivers. That way, both motors will be responding to exactly the same signals.
    Good luck.
    Bill

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help needed with settings i think.. Galaad / Kay

For the Y axis travel I would take a close look at the controllers to see if the DIP switches are where they are supposed to be-they are so small it isn't hard to nudge one when working inside a control cabinet.If they are correct,I would take a look at the location of the rails for the Y axis to see if they are absolutely parallel and you don't actually need numbers for this a slightly oversize metal C frame with some gauge blocks will do the job of detecting a difference.An 8mm thread pitch isn't one I have seen mention of very often and galaad/kay took some searching.It has to be worth looking through the configuration screens again and as a final check maybe disconnect the couplings on the Y and Z axes and measure the actual distance travelled with one complete rotation in case the wrong lead screws were picked from the parts shelf.

Good luck.