Which motion control / software for a combo machine? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which motion control / software for a combo machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Which motion control / software for a combo machine?

A few points of clarification as some of the following statements are untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Don't forget that Centroid workers and contractors posting in those forum threads. Islaw (Gary Campbell) who is a contractor of Centroid and always talking BS about UCCNC, likely because he wants to sell his Centroid control boxes he build and posted a few videos here about it.
    I am not a contractor of or for Centroid. I am a semi retired independent small (1 man) cnc control builder that over the last few years has built cnc controllers using ShopBot, UCCNC, WinCNC and Centroid Acorn. All have their high and low points when comparing features against each other. There is no "one size fits all". I am not a "fan boy" of any of them as each is simply a vehicle that allows me to generate income.

That said, in Jan 2018 I stopped building controls that used ShopBot components due to difficulties getting their controllers to connect to user computers.

After receiving a file from a customer (running a UCCNC controller) with an issue regarding feedrates on spiral interpolated circles with Z depth change generated by Vectric CAD/CAM I too, noticed what he had observed. UCCNC would not maintain the set feedrate, nor would it execute the same geometry at the same feedrate when that geometry used line segments output via CAM vs line segments output by the controller.

I made videos of these anomalies and forwarded them to CNCdrive (privately, off forum). I also made videos of the same code running on 2 other controllers. Neither exhibited the slowdown or herky jerky motion that was present with the UCCNC controller. All were shared with Ger21 and he assisted me to try and alleviate the issue. We got it better, but never eliminated. CNCdrive was no help. Later when another user posted a thread because he was experiencing similar issues, I posted a link to my thread and commented that it didn't seem likely to be acknowledged (as in my case) and therefore unlikely to be fixed in the near future. I was sent an email by CNCdrive stating that this was a warning, my last warning before being banned from their forum.

I have worked with numerous controllers over the years and these "bugs" never make the developers happy. That said, this was the first time I had received a banishment threat rather than thanks. I used this a sign to sell all my remaining UCCNC controllers and IO board and stop using the product.

I would like you to consider that I am not speaking "BS" (your term) here. That when I give an opinion on how one controller performs when compared to another it is based on the fact that I have tested them side by side using the same code. And when there is an anomaly I provide a video that shows the difference. To me, it is impossible to give an objective comparison unless one has tested all products being compared. In all but the rarest of cases, I am willing to not only tell you why I prefer why I feel one may have an edge over another, I am willing to SHOW you.

A few more that don't quite seem accurate to me:

UCCNC has much more complex customisable sctripts than just PLC routines.
    It has custom macros and custom plugins. Also all macros compile and run on the fly so development of them is kind of an ease even for me.
    It also has built in screen editor with which you can build your own screen or just modify the screen if you want.
    With UCCNC these are not only plans, but actually parts of the software already.

This will be always a subject of debate, but a programmer friend has told me recently that I have much greater flexibility with Centroid's internal programming features that with the others I have used (all 3 others) Not being a programmer, I defer to his greater knowledge.

UCCNC is also 5+ years old, I mean it is available 5+ years, not 1 year old and marketed to be 30 years old like the Acorn.

The Acorn hardware is now approaching 2 years of existence and runs a feature limited (mostly IO) version of the same software and the same controller (Beagle Bone Green) as the high end Centroid 8 axis controller products. Yes, ongoing improvements for 30+ years. The "Hickory" product line, which exists in PA, but hasn't been released from internal testing yet, is set to do so in Sept and will offer 8 axes, 5 encoder inputs, multiple analog out and ins, plus numerous features that cannot be mentioned publicly at this time. #gamechanger

UCCNC is also not just a software company, they make their own motion controller hardwares and breakboards and other stuff.

So does Centroid. They have in their US (Pennsylvania) based HQ, their own PC board burning, pick and place machine and "dunk tanks" for complete quality control over their branded products. They also supply racing fab shops with 5 axis machines for producing engine blocks and cylinder heads from billet in their Performance Racing line: A560 5-Axis CNC Articulating-Head Porting Machine - high-speed cylinder head porting, digitize and port intake and exhaust ports and combustion chambers...

If I remember corecctly, at the time the best IO board I used with UCCNC was the UB1, which was I believe, 3rd party.

UCCNC has motion controller with over 80 I/Os (UC300ETH-5LPT)

The current (on my test bench) IO expansions allow a total of five 1616 (16 inputs 16 outputs) to be added to the Acorn's existing 8 for a total of 88, which is far beyond my perceived needs. They are compatible across the Centroid line and can even be mounted out of the control box, near the electrical panel if desired, to control high amperage single and 3 phase equipment "at the source"

In any case, it appears to me that while they all operate nearly the same, there are some advantages to each. Sometimes price, sometimes feature, I try to be agnostic, until machine operation is affected. I am disappointed you took my words as BS. I work hard to always have backup to all claims, which is rare in the CNC internet realm. If the biased opinions of one brand vs. another by fanboys were valid, Mach would be the best controller out there. We all know that it is not. Test them side by side, then give an opinion. I have.

Gary Campbell GCnC Control
    Servo Control & ATC Retrofits

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think that the developers don't like if anyone report bugs to them. I think you're wrong about this. If you read into the cncdrive forum ther are even rants which are still there and were not removed.
    So, if they warned you about something then I am sure that it was not about you posting bugs, but the way you wrote your post(s).
    But it is understandable if you want that company to look bad when you selling the concurent products, it is helping your business if you do so.

I don't think that the Acorn can have higher flexibility than the UCCNC, it has 4 axis only and some annoying PLC language, no screen editor, no access to GUI things, nothing can be modified like what can in the UCCNC.
    So, I will sure stick with the UCCNC for now, it works absolutely fine for me. I'm not interested in buying a more costy product with less features and less flexibility.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I don't think anyone offers phone support, without paying for it.
    UCCNC provides email support, and has a fairly active user forum.

I would think that it's very hard to compare bugginess. All software has bugs. What's important is that they get fixed.
    Some people have complained that it's been over a year since the last "lockdown" release of UCCNC. But in that time, there have been a LOT of development releases, with lots of new features. CNC Drive tries to catch all the bugs before releasing a lockdown version, so that hopefully bugs are not an issue.
    Since the development versions are prone to bugs, they are updated regularly when serious bugs are found. Minor bugs tend to be fixed with the next release, whenever that happens to be.
    Since I've been using UCCNC, they've added a lot of features requested by users. So they do listen to their users.
    Having said that, I wouldn't count on a lathe version anytime soon.

Note that both UCCNC and the Acorn are relatively new, and still evolving. This is not a fast process. As I mentioned, it's been a long time since the last UCCNC lockdown release.
    The previously mentioned Acorn expansion board has been talked about for about a year, as well.
    The only part of Acorn control that is new is the Hardware, the Software has been in use for many years and is industrial proven

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The only part of Acorn control that is new is the Hardware, the Software has been in use for many years and is industrial proven
    Please explain what "industrial proven" means? Why is it proven more industrial than mach3, mach4, linuxcnc, uccnc, planetcnc?
    I do not see any more industrial, it is just another controller with less features than the others for more money.
    If you mean "reliability" then I can tell you that UCCNC has never missed a beat for me for 2 years now, so saying that acorn is more industrial makes no sense to me in this regards.
    If it would offer more features then it would be a go for me, but it does not.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think that the developers don't like if anyone report bugs to them. I think you're wrong about this. If you read into the cncdrive forum ther are even rants which are still there and were not removed.
    So, if they warned you about something then I am sure that it was not about you posting bugs, but the way you wrote your post(s).
    But it is understandable if you want that company to look bad when you selling the concurent products, it is helping your business if you do so.

I don't think that the Acorn can have higher flexibility than the UCCNC, it has 4 axis only and some annoying PLC language, no screen editor, no access to GUI things, nothing can be modified like what can in the UCCNC.
    So, I will sure stick with the UCCNC for now, it works absolutely fine for me. I'm not interested in buying a more costy product with less features and less flexibility.
    You are completely wrong in saying it can't be modified, the Acorn control you can do what every you want if you know how to program or they will do what ever you want, it is just as flexible as UCCNC and has more to offer than UCCNC

I have UCCNC, it lacks a lot of very basic G-Codes that it can use like G20 G21 for one of the most important G-Codes to have, I'm testing Acorn now and to date it is working very well also doing a 8 tool changer with it , I do a lot of software and hardware testing even Eding is up with the best picks for a control expensive but one of the best I have tested in this price range

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

G20/21, hmm I've never used those. I always code in millimeters or inches, never in both. So I can switch profile when needed, but 99% I work in millimeters so no need to do that too often.

You said lots of g-codes? Which are the ones you missing? I mean G20/21 is just one set of the same function code, but what else you mean by "lots of"?

Can you add custom buttons, custom DROs to the acorn screen? What more can it offer than others? Please explain, because I do not see anything, I only see lacking of functionalities compared to all the other softwares I have mentioned.

UCCNC can also do toolchange just fine, I do not see it as extra if the acorn can do that, because all the other softwares can do it.

Videos:

Downloads
    Uploads

Please explain what "industrial proven" means? Why is it proven more industrial than mach3, mach4, linuxcnc, uccnc, planetcnc?
    I do not see any more industrial, it is just another controller with less features than the others for more money.
    If you mean "reliability" then I can tell you that UCCNC has never missed a beat for me for 2 years now, so saying that acorn is more industrial makes no sense to me in this regards.
    If it would offer more features then it would be a go for me, but it does not.
    There software has been used in the industry for over 30 years there are many OEMs that use Centroid Software for there machine controls, the same software they use in there 5 axes machine they supply with the Acorn Hardware

There software is fully developed and does not compare to any of the Hobby software you posted which are still being developed except for Mach3 which is no longer supported

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

That is BS and you know that.
    Then we could say that mach3 is 20 years in the industry and used by hundreds of thousands of people and machines, so in this regards mach3 wins over the acorn.
    Let's be specific the acorn is not even 2 years old yet, don't come with the 30 years in business and most reliable manufacturer marketing BS, I'm not that kind of guy who takes that.

Tell me, what is more developed than in the other softwares? Give me some examples please, because I still only see the lack of functionalities over the others.
    What extra features does the acorn offer?
    I'm still waiting for real answers. If there is any not only your feelings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12