Need Help! NCStudio OR Controller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NCStudio OR Controller

Downloads
    Uploads

Default NCStudio OR Controller

Hey guys

I have a challenge where I am running ncstudio since 2012. Thing is I need to keep packing the PC away because of theft. I am thinking to move to a controller.

What are your suggestions to go from ncstudio to a controller??

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: NCStudio OR Controller

Hey guys, no one has experience going from PC based control to an offline controller??

Downloads
    Uploads

With no details of what you have, machine, type, controls or other details it's difficult to make any comments. Perhaps you could use a laptop PC as they are easy to transport. An Ethernet based control would be easy to remove the control PC (especially a laptop).

What about DSP control systems? RichAuto have a few. The "brains" are in the hand control unit which would be about as easy to transport as a laptop.

You would likely need to replace the BoB module to suit it though.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by he1957 View Post
    With no details of what you have, machine, type, controls or other details it's difficult to make any comments. Perhaps you could use a laptop PC as they are easy to transport. An Ethernet based control would be easy to remove the control PC (especially a laptop).

What about DSP control systems? RichAuto have a few. The "brains" are in the hand control unit which would be about as easy to transport as a laptop.

You would likely need to replace the BoB module to suit it though.
    Hey there,

I have a 1212 3 axis cnc. It runs using NCStudio as a controller. It uses a pci card. I had the PC stolen so I must build a new PC which I have. I am very happy with ncstudio hence never going to mach3 etc. But instead of having to take the PC out the workshop each time I was contemplating a controller.
    DSP? I'll look into it. Tnx

Downloads
    Uploads

@he1957 what would you recommend as a descent ethernet connected controller?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm interested too! Richauto is USB only...

Downloads
    Uploads

All in one with USB usually are poor in G/M code languages and is often an hard job continue to move from PC to CNC with a USB key to place a program.
    I guees the better way is to use a valid CNC board (standalone with interpolator and input management) linked to PC with Ethernet way.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by shearder View Post
    @he1957 what would you recommend as a descent ethernet connected controller?

The OP was asking about an issue with theft of a PC controlling the machine. The suggestion of a DSP was based on that and the RichAuto control system is very compact. The BoB lives in the power/drive control box but the DSP handset is about the size of an over-sized TV remote control and is easy to disconnect and take home :-)

The operation and use of the RichAuto DSP is described very badly. It is not a USB driven controller. It has a USB connection to a PC to allow you to transfer G-Code files between a PC and the DSP but it does not function as a CNC control when you boot it to transfer files. After transferring files, you have to restart it as a CNC controller (and then the PC cannot see it).

Essentially, you use the DSP as a standalone controller and transfer job code between the PC and the DSP with a USB stick you have to keep removing/replacing between PC and DSP. Can be somewhat annoying if you make multiple small changes to your code. Some tricks can be to write the code to use faster movements/RPM but use the DSP to slow the speeds down in real-time to allow for different materials/cutters etc.

As far as an Ethernet control goes, have a look at the AXBB at https://www.cncdrive.com/AXBB.html

I'll be upgrading from a RichAuto DSP to an AXBB with an extra BoB for additional I/O channels and Ethernet when I can afford it. I kinda like the DSP but a serious limitation is it does not support parametric programming which is somewhat annoying for multiple parts or incremental cutting. You have to do this for yourself in the code generation.

There are other Ethernet options out there so perhaps if we knew more of the requirements others can chime in as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'd like a controller with ethernet connection to the PC, AND an on-board keypad/joystick at the router, to allow you to edit speeds, plate height etc from the console, like the laser Ruida systems.
    We have an Aussie Tekcel system at the moment- 20 years old- and it's great except for repair costs.
    So I'm looking for a system like it, that also has drives for the servos, where we can plug our encoder leads into them.
    Software and post-processing is no problem- we use an old version of Enroute- but I do need 3D capability.

I just have not had experience with other controllers, than assorted laser systems, and this Tekcel router one.

Thanks for any ideas...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by he1957 View Post
    The OP was asking about an issue with theft of a PC controlling the machine. The suggestion of a DSP was based on that and the RichAuto control system is very compact. The BoB lives in the power/drive control box but the DSP handset is about the size of an over-sized TV remote control and is easy to disconnect and take home :-)

The operation and use of the RichAuto DSP is described very badly. It is not a USB driven controller. It has a USB connection to a PC to allow you to transfer G-Code files between a PC and the DSP but it does not function as a CNC control when you boot it to transfer files. After transferring files, you have to restart it as a CNC controller (and then the PC cannot see it).

Essentially, you use the DSP as a standalone controller and transfer job code between the PC and the DSP with a USB stick you have to keep removing/replacing between PC and DSP. Can be somewhat annoying if you make multiple small changes to your code. Some tricks can be to write the code to use faster movements/RPM but use the DSP to slow the speeds down in real-time to allow for different materials/cutters etc.

As far as an Ethernet control goes, have a look at the AXBB at https://www.cncdrive.com/AXBB.html

I'll be upgrading from a RichAuto DSP to an AXBB with an extra BoB for additional I/O channels and Ethernet when I can afford it. I kinda like the DSP but a serious limitation is it does not support parametric programming which is somewhat annoying for multiple parts or incremental cutting. You have to do this for yourself in the code generation.

There are other Ethernet options out there so perhaps if we knew more of the requirements others can chime in as well.
    Thanks for that info. Ethernet would be great but my workshop is 80m from the house. I really dont want to lay cable and yeah wifi to router etc but adding further points of failure lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for that info. Ethernet would be great but my workshop is 80m from the house. I really dont want to lay cable and yeah wifi to router etc but adding further points of failure lol

You misunderstanding what ethernet is for. Of course you not having your control computer 80 meters away from your machine. LOL.
    You place the computer next to your machine in your workshop with the machine control box connected to the computer via ethernet connection with a few meters of ethernet cable.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    You misunderstanding what ethernet is for. Of course you not having your control computer 80 meters away from your machine. LOL.
    You place the computer next to your machine in your workshop with the machine control box connected to the computer via ethernet connection with a few meters of ethernet cable.
    OBVIOUSLY but my workshop is 80m away from the house which houses mybrouter and other networking appliances and I dont want another computer in the workshop for obvious reasons.

Downloads
    Uploads

For a Ethernet controller take a look at https://rosettacnc.com/en/

Downloads
    Uploads

There are some very efficient high speed EoP (EthernetOverPower) adapters these days. Plug one into a power point in the house and the other in a power point in the workshop. This gives you an Ethernet port at each end. Connect each end to whatever you need to and bingo, Ethernet between the two sites.

Make sure you plug the adapters into the same circuit if possible otherwise you may get a large throughput loss or intermittent communications.

At the workshop end, connect an Ethernet switch, that way you can plug the AXBB and the Laptop/PC in and take the PC with you when you leave.

The AXBB makers also have a wireless pendant that connects to the PC and provides most needed functions but I don't know of one with a full keypad, but they do have keys that can be programmed to execute macros that you can set to do whatever except make a cup of coffee.

Don't know the Tekcel machine but at 20 years old, you likely need new driver modules, maybe also servos. The AXBB with some ClearPath drives (servo or stepper killers) might be worth a look.

As mentioned I'll upgrade to an AXBB eventually, I'd also have zero problems dropping in a set of ClearPath Stepper Killers when I can afford it but the sounds of real steppers is generally quite pleasing :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

OBVIOUSLY but my workshop is 80m away from the house which houses mybrouter and other networking appliances and I dont want another computer in the workshop for obvious reasons.

In this case you will really need some kind of pendant controller, if you don't want a computer in your workshop.
    But then you will be limited to what that pendant can do. You cannot design anything on it, because it is not a computer and it cannot run CAM programs, so you will likely end up running back and forth between your home and workshop as CNC-ing often needs modifications of g-code programs. And those pendants are even limited in machine control.
    Or you can get some high end standalone CNC controllers which could do the job, e.g. DMG Mori makes some with built in Solidworks. But I don't think that you will want to pay for that.

You could connect the AXBB-E via router also and 80 meters direct cable would also work, but it would be very incomfortable to control the machine from a 80meters away computer.

Downloads
    Uploads

Or you could use a small fanless computer, which is just a fully enclosed box with PC functionality with less power than what a real computer has, but still powerful enough for CNC control.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a pc that I fo all my cad and other design work on. I just want something simple to do the control work. Maybe something I can plug in the unplug when I lock up

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Re: NCStudio OR Controller

Well...
    Laptop is your friend. A cheap one just for controlling your CNC machine.
    Buy a decent external controller, not cheap chinese, but one that connects with your computer over LAN cable, eg. USB SmoothStepper, Pokeys57, Purelogic PLCM, ...
    Walk 80m to your workshop with laptop, connect LAN cable and off you go.
    When you finish, unplug LAN cable and walk back 80m with your laptop.

Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ZASto View Post
    Well...
    Laptop is your friend. A cheap one just for controlling your CNC machine.
    Buy a decent external controller, not cheap chinese, but one that connects with your computer over LAN cable, eg. USB SmoothStepper, Pokeys57, Purelogic PLCM, ...
    Walk 80m to your workshop with laptop, connect LAN cable and off you go.
    When you finish, unplug LAN cable and walk back 80m with your laptop.
    Not sure if I want to walk but I guess I could use the Bentley...

BUT sounds good. My misunderstanding was that those with a lan connection were controlled over a literal network. If plugged direct to laptop does one need a crossover cable?

This seems a good idea!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I wont really use the Bentley! NCStudio OR Controller I'll uber!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast