Need Help! Adtech 9640 and "elastic" tapping?

Thread: Adtech 9640 and "elastic" tapping?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Adtech 9640 and "elastic" tapping?

Does anyone have an Adtech 9640 and has done what Adtech call elastic tapping?
    A friend of mine recently purchased the aforementioned control and after a fair bit of work he has got it mostly working but the tapping is proving impossible.

He doesn't seem to be getting anywhere with the support from his supplier and also from China, the latest advice from them seems to be most people use step/dir servo spindles now and you have an analogue servo so you should change it.
    To me that is not the solution, the manual states it can do rigid tapping which requires a step/dir servo BUT it also says it can do "elastic" tapping which basically translates to tapping with the Z axis closely following the spindles encoder.
    I have recently fitted an SZGH CNC1000TDC control to my lathe and I have had no issues at all with the tapping (in simulation) and I am using an 11Kw induction motor controlled via a VFD so if the SZGH can do it with a VFD controlled motor surely the Adtech should be able to do it with an analogue controlled servo motor.

Hoping that someone out there can help as if not it looks like his control is basically useless for what he wants to do.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Adtech 9640 and "elastic" tapping?

Ok just in case anyone runs into similar issues with this controller it seems that it was software related. Adtech China have sent a file for my friend to load into the control to update it and he now has "elastic" tapping working.

Downloads
    Uploads

Another update, sadly I was mistaken. I thought my friend had said the tapping was working but what he meant was that the update worked. The tapping itself seems marginally better in the respect that it is not totally going crazy but the feeds are all wrong and the spindle is very noisy on the infeed. Looks like it will need more work from China.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just to tidy up this post.
    The control went back to Adtech UK and they tried to get it working with, I believe, several software updates from China but it never worked properly.
    To Adtech Uk's credit they have refunded my friend the full cost of the control so now he is looking to get a different one. He could have gone for the older 4640 from Adtech but I think he will probably go SZGH CNC1000.
    I have the lathe version of that and it works well so far and rigid tapping seems to work fine, in simulation at least.