SMC5-5-N-N Chinese controller - anyone have experience with it? - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SMC5-5-N-N Chinese controller - anyone have experience with it?

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Re: SMC5-5-N-N Chinese controller - anyone have experience with it?

Hello,
    I hope everyone's doing great!
    I am in the process of designing a cnc milling machine, and would like to use the SMC5-5 controller.
    However, the machine will have an ATC spindle ( JGL-110/4.2R24-30 ) , and I have no idea if the controller is made to support/use toolchangers.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to program toolchanges in this controller? Ideally how, would also be awesome to know!
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, since I couldn't find any reference to this functionality in the manuals or forums.
    Thanks!
    Kind regards,
    Max

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SMC5-5-N-N Chinese controller - anyone have experience with it?-diy-cnc-v3-concept-jpg   SMC5-5-N-N Chinese controller - anyone have experience with it?-cnc-v3-concept-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: SMC5-5-N-N Chinese controller - anyone have experience with it?

Quote Originally Posted by maxtechnics View Post
    Hello,
    I hope everyone's doing great!
    I am in the process of designing a cnc milling machine, and would like to use the SMC5-5 controller.
    However, the machine will have an ATC spindle ( JGL-110/4.2R24-30 ) , and I have no idea if the controller is made to support/use toolchangers.
    Does anyone know if it is possible to program toolchanges in this controller? Ideally how, would also be awesome to know!
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, since I couldn't find any reference to this functionality in the manuals or forums.
    Thanks!
    Kind regards,
    Max
    Shouldn't somebody with the screen name maxtechnics be telling us?You really need to be asking the supplier of the controller if the potential is there for releasing and re-engaging the tool holder as the rest of it is a matter of moving the spindle to the location of the tool or tool carousel and then to the point where the subsequent operation starts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the feedback, i'm in fact talking to a supplier, but he simply pointed to the chinese crappy manual

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1050 View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice in this thread. Finally got the controller to do what I wanted using Fusion 360.

Does anyone know if there is a guide on how to setup the post processor and its settings? Been machining for many years but CNC is still too new for me. Thanks in advance.

boB

Downloads
    Uploads

I just today noticed that the controller, while it can be used to edit the G code, cannot enter or edit the "comments" within the G code. There are no parentheses available. The comments are given in parentheses, like this:

(This is a comment of a new program)
    (The basic initialization for XY plane etc.)
    G90 G17
    (The following is the compulsory Tool command at start)
    T1 M6
    G1 X1 Y1
    (10 second delay follows)
    G04 P10000
    G0 X0 Y0
    (Program end follows)
    M30

I wish as many SMC5 controller users as possible should give feedback and other bug fix proposals / feature enhancement proposals to support-at-lollette-dot-com. I suppose they're the only ones who can make this nice controller to become even better with future firmware fixes!

//Corhoin

Corhoin Wizardonik Customworks, Finland *** Ham Radio: OH2CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

In 2001 I used to make injection molds on a Mazak FJV250 which had a control system named Mazatrol.
    It was a lovely control system, but 95% of the time cadcam files were running and hardly any use for lovely firmware, it had similar processing to the SMC5.
    Cadcam is the key for this control, and servos to match the file processing.
    Foinnc just released a 5 axis very similar in dimensions and processing, it looks to be a version 2 of the SMC5, i may sell SMC5 and jump at version 2, IF, the g code has had massive upgrade.

Downloads
    Uploads

I hope someone will provide English translation of the latest manual.

Downloads
    Uploads

Foincc M350 is the new version, Google search yeilds no result, probably Fanuc are banning them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Foincc m350 is now rebranded as Digital Dream ddsc Expert, Foincc seems to be extinct now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by elmerfud View Post
    Foincc M350 is the new version, Google search yeilds no result, probably Fanuc are banning them.
    The M350 controller is not related to the SMC5-5-N-N controller, they are very unlike each other. The M350 controller seems to be an upgraded version of the DDCSV2.1 or V3.1 controllers and they are quite widely discussed at various forums, even their own forum at ddcnc.com has some information. It seems to have much more properties and functions than the SMC5-5 controller, but I like the UI of the SMC5-5 much more. Even if there are still a lot of front panel buttons without a known function...

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I bought this a while ago to avoid Mach 3 and a PC and it's been working well other than an issue with the probe (I couldn't get it to reset the Y when it touched).

I'm not massively familiar with G-codes etc, I 'get' what they do but I'm a lazy CNC'ist. I mostly use vCarve to generate a file full of the stuff, push it onto a memory stick, plug it in and press go.

So thanks to this thread I found the contact details and obtained a newer version of the firmware (4.0.7 apparently).
    I've installed it and set everything up but when I boot I get a "AtuoGM Data ERROR!" box appear (I assume that should read Auto), it then takes me to an AutoGM configuration dialog and at this point I'm stuck.
    I've read the bit at https://www.shaogecnc.com/smc5-5-n-n/ on AutoGM but I don't understand it, it sounds like it wants me to create a set of files but containing what?
    I don't remember anything about it on the original version (3.7.1).

So before I do a factory reset does anyone have any pointers?

Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

I suppose you'll be safer if you do a full factory reset after a major firmware version upgrade. You may still have old versions of the AutoGM macro files in the internal memory card, or perhaps the file structure of the card has changed in version 4.x.x firmwares. If nothing else helps, formatting the memory disk with code 010101 should help.

From "the manufacturer's web site (shaogecnc.com):
    If an error occurs after upgrading, please enter in factory mode, 000001, to restore the factory state.
    If the overall system disk speed is slow after upgrading, please format the memory disk. The factory mode code is 010101. Note that the memory disk data will be cleared.

For newer versions (upgrade from 4.0.2 to 4.0.6 for example), just a couple of reboots seems to do the job. I suppose these upgrades have no changes in the memory card files.

PS. According to some of my early photos of my controllers, firmware version 4.0.1 (2020-9-1) has "AutoGM" written correctly in the Machine Configuration menu. The typo "AtuoGM" could be a more recent upgrade in 4.0.2 (2020-10-10) and newer versions... It would be nice to have these small typos corrected, but even more important would be to have some instructions and explanations for the many unknown functions and menu entries! And there are still a few buttons in the front panel which seemingly have no use...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Corhoin View Post
    I suppose you'll be safer if you do a full factory reset after a major firmware version upgrade. You may still have old versions of the AutoGM macro files in the internal memory card, or perhaps the file structure of the card has changed in version 4.x.x firmwares. If nothing else helps, formatting the memory disk with code 010101 should help.

From "the manufacturer's web site (shaogecnc.com):
    If an error occurs after upgrading, please enter in factory mode, 000001, to restore the factory state.
    If the overall system disk speed is slow after upgrading, please format the memory disk. The factory mode code is 010101. Note that the memory disk data will be cleared.

For newer versions (upgrade from 4.0.2 to 4.0.6 for example), just a couple of reboots seems to do the job. I suppose these upgrades have no changes in the memory card files.

PS. According to some of my early photos of my controllers, firmware version 4.0.1 (2020-9-1) has "AutoGM" written correctly in the Machine Configuration menu. The typo "AtuoGM" could be a more recent upgrade in 4.0.2 (2020-10-10) and newer versions... It would be nice to have these small typos corrected, but even more important would be to have some instructions and explanations for the many unknown functions and menu entries! And there are still a few buttons in the front panel which seemingly have no use...
    Ah, OK - so "factory reset" doesn't do what I supposed and return me to 3.7.1?
    I'll give that a go.

[edit]
    Thanks that worked. Just need to enter everything again.

I completely misunderstood the meaning of a factory reset, I assumed it was a last ditch "if all else fails it'll take you back to where you were" sort of thing.

Downloads
    Uploads

That one is in Chinese do you have an English upload?

thanks
    Glen

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1050 View Post
    Hi Glen

Yes I had to put a G90 after very G17 command. I also had to disable the Z soft limit. When I get more time I will try and experiment with it.

Fusion put a G90 in after every G28. Apart from that it has been accurate and easy to use though I have worked out the draw g code yet.
    Hi Steve,
    do you you have any updates for your post processor?
    Ive put in a request with Fusion 360 to create a custom post processor for the s course-5-5-n-n

so far I’m still having to go in and hand change my Tap file to add G90 and get ride of machine coordinates at the start of the files.

Also so what’s the latest firmware?

Glen

Downloads
    Uploads

I have bought SMC5-5-N-N. It came with latest firmware dated feb/march 2021. But, it has been waste of money for me. It does not work with my closed loop nema 34 motors and hybrid drivers. Disappointed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Arjcnc,

This is interesting. How does the problem with closed loop steppers and their drives show? What model drives are you using and how did you connect them?
    I've successfully used normal open loop steppers and DM542 type drives, and I don't see how closed loop drives would be very much differently connected if they use the normal "step" and "direction" inputs.

For the DM542 drives for example, you'll need to connect three wires between the SMC5 controller and each drive : +5V, "step" (PUL) and "direction" (DIR). The +5V line is looped to both positive "step" and "dir" inputs on the drive side and the PUL / DIR signals to the relevant negative "step" and "direction" inputs on the drive.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Arjcnc View Post
    I have bought SMC5-5-N-N. It came with latest firmware dated feb/march 2021. But, it has been waste of money for me. It does not work with my closed loop nema 34 motors and hybrid drivers. Disappointed.
    Hum... that's interesting about the closed loop stuff!
    Ahh... they have a newer firmware update, I'll have to request it, if only I could remember how to get it?

Glen

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Corhoin View Post
    Hi Arjcnc,

This is interesting. How does the problem with closed loop steppers and their drives show? What model drives are you using and how did you connect them?
    I've successfully used normal open loop steppers and DM542 type drives, and I don't see how closed loop drives would be very much differently connected if they use the normal "step" and "direction" inputs.

For the DM542 drives for example, you'll need to connect three wires between the SMC5 controller and each drive : +5V, "step" (PUL) and "direction" (DIR). The +5V line is looped to both positive "step" and "dir" inputs on the drive side and the PUL / DIR signals to the relevant negative "step" and "direction" inputs on the drive.
    I connected exactly the way you described. It does not turn the motors at all. I moved the connections from smc5 to mach3 controller board which works fine. I will give it another go when I have some time. May be it’s something to do with the settings.
    I am using LeadShine HBS86H drivers.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Arjcnc View Post
    I connected exactly the way you described. It does not turn the motors at all. I moved the connections from smc5 to mach3 controller board which works fine. I will give it another go when I have some time. May be it’s something to do with the settings.
    I am using LeadShine HBS86H drivers.
    Weird, I plugged my SMC-5-5-n-n to some 220v AC servos (closed loop of course) using some old Tamagawa drivers, and after configuring them it works great using PUL/DIR, I'm sure it will work if you check everything in wired up & configured correctly

BTW, I too have a DM542 driver for the Z axis of my CNC, and it is a nema 23 stepper, which works great, are you sure you did plug in the DC+ & GND to the stepper?, I know it may seem stupid, but it does need it on top of the DIR/PUL signals, maybe their is a wire having issues in there?

Hope that helps.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast