Roland MDX 40 Computer Recommendations

Thread: Roland MDX 40 Computer Recommendations

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Roland MDX 40 Computer Recommendations

Hello-

A few years ago I purchased an MDX40, which came with a desktop computer operating on Windows XP. The machine's firmware was upgraded to an MDX40-A. I have been using SRP Player for tool pathing. The computer needs to be replaced, and I'm looking for people's recommendations on the most stable / reliable computer to run the machine...

* Laptop vs. Desktop: I've read that desktop is preferred, but would be interested in laptop for better mobility
    * What operating systems is suitable? Does the MDX 40 run with windows 10 - has anyone had problems with this OS?
    * What speeds up the calculating of tool paths? Is it processor speed?

Thanks for your help!
    Kristen

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Roland MDX 40 Computer Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by kvonno View Post
    Hello-

A few years ago I purchased an MDX40, which came with a desktop computer operating on Windows XP. The machine's firmware was upgraded to an MDX40-A. I have been using SRP Player for tool pathing. The computer needs to be replaced, and I'm looking for people's recommendations on the most stable / reliable computer to run the machine...

* Laptop vs. Desktop: I've read that desktop is preferred, but would be interested in laptop for better mobility

A laptop would probably work, since it works off the USB and it's not dependent on a parallel port. But you'd need to purge it of any automatic update software or power management routines, since that will interrupt CNC functions.

* What operating systems is suitable? Does the MDX 40 run with windows 10 - has anyone had problems with this OS?

I wouldn't go with anything more recent than Windows 7, since the firmware's pretty old and hasn't been updated in a while. Here are instructions for loading the drivers: http://support.rolanddga.com/docs/Do...stallation.pdf

* What speeds up the calculating of tool paths? Is it processor speed?

Thanks for your help!
    Kristen
    That "SRP Player" software is quite primitive and incredibly slow; I doubt that running it on a faster computer would help much. Upgrade to DeskProto (which writes Roland code) and be amazed at all the time you save (we can give you a great deal on it too).

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Roland MDX 40 Computer Recommendations

I run Roland's software on a 2006 MacBook Pro laptop with Windows XP running in Parallels for Mac. It is an old system but very capable for Roland's software. The laptop is next to my Roland MDX-40 in my basement model shop.

I access files over WiFi with my iMac desktop in my office. The desktop computer is newer and much faster than my old laptop. I can also un Roland's design software on my desktop with Windows 10 in Parallels for Mac. Everything works just great.

I model my projects in Vectric Aspire software on my desktop which directly creates Roland toolpath files. The toolpath files run in Roland's Vpanel on my laptop.