CNC Motion Control Board - Page 7


Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
Results 73 to 82 of 82

Thread: CNC Motion Control Board

  1. #73
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    622
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC Motion Control Board

    Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    Craig, this is still not particularly fast. Some people are using LinuxCNC with a 4Mhz Servo thread. The Mesa external step generators run at up to 10 MHz... However the difference is that with a smoothstepper you are limited to the features are in the hardware. LinuxCNC's best kept secret is the ability to write your own components which once compiled and installed with the halcompile program becoe an extension of LInuxCNC. Yes you neet to be able to code in C but with so many people playing with arduinos today, this is not a major drawback.
    People playing with Arduinos, copying example codes and making minor modifications does not nessessarily mean that they can code in C. Yes they usually think they can but give them a task with no example codes.



  2. #74
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    261
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC Motion Control Board

    Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    People playing with Arduinos, copying example codes and making minor modifications does not nessessarily mean that they can code in C. Yes they usually think they can but give them a task with no example codes.
    But that might be all they need to write a Linuxcnc component. Its amazing what can be achieved in a component with 10 lines of code. But as samco has said, he built a complex retrofit without coding anything, just using the standard components. So coding is not a requisite, but it is extremely powerful and can't be done with a motion controller card. Just one of the reasons why some of us are converts to the real time capabilities of LinuxCNC.

    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au


  3. #75
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    622
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC Motion Control Board

    Coding not possible with motion controllers? Can you please explain this? With Mach3 and UCCNC you can also code if you like, just not needed for basic applications. In Mach in VB and in UCCNC in C#.



  4. #76
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    East Anglia,England
    Posts
    146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC Motion Control Board

    I haven't found myself needing to deal with any code at all,which is just as well because I wouldn't know where to start.As for running Windows software under Linux-I haven't yet found anything that won't run in Wine,there may be some out there though.Similarly,I haven't had to fight with installing drivers in years as the Linux distros I have used just found it and made it work.I'm not sure how things are with Windows 10 as I haven't much experience with it and that puts me in a similar position to anybody that hasn't tried using Linux in the last few years.I do know that something like 85% of the web is Linux based and I know of a server that has been running Ubuntu server for almost ten years without any faults.



  5. #77
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    261
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC Motion Control Board

    Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Coding not possible with motion controllers? Can you please explain this? With Mach3 and UCCNC you can also code if you like, just not needed for basic applications. In Mach in VB and in UCCNC in C#.
    But by your own admission, the real time part of your windows system lives on the motion control board. Please show me an example of plasma torch height control coded directly into Mach3 or UCCNC without the addition of additional THC hardware. I'm not aware of any examples that work in this way becasue you don't have access to the real time part of your CNC system.

    I'll leave it to Samco to show you a video for his plasma torch height control managed by LinuxCNC. Its this versatility and extensibility of the real time system that has caused many commercial CNC companies to migrate from Mach to LinuxCNC.

    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au


  6. #78
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    622
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC Motion Control Board

    Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    But by your own admission, the real time part of your windows system lives on the motion control board. Please show me an example of plasma torch height control coded directly into Mach3 or UCCNC without the addition of additional THC hardware. I'm not aware of any examples that work in this way becasue you don't have access to the real time part of your CNC system.
    I'm not admitting I'm asking, I don't know how it works and you seemed like you know, so I asked how that works.

    THC hardware just measuring voltage and generating the THC up and down and arc ok signals. You have to have a hardware which measures the arc voltage, I mean you need that with linuxcnc too right? Or you connecting the hundreds of volts directly to the computer?!
    My understanding is that the motion controller is controlling the THC with Mach3 and UCCNC so it is realtime on the motion controller. I guess voltage could be also digitized into the motion controller, it has 2 analog inputs, but I did not try to use that because I have a THC controller.



  7. #79
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    1368
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC Motion Control Board

    Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    As for running Windows software under Linux-I haven't yet found anything that won't run in Wine,there may be some out there though.
    One that comes to mind is Fusion 360 because it checks for operating system, getting that to run in Wine takes sorcery beyond my skills. CAD/CAM is one of the few reasons I have a Windows license. Virtual machines work if you've got the horsepower and a spare Windows license,

    The computers running Linuxcnc in my shop aren't usually used for much else except a bit of text editing. That's a choice and not done out of concern of Linuxcnc misbehaving. In the days when smart hardware was less common I read experienced Mach3 users recommend disabling anti-virus, updates, really all manner of things that might interrupt.

    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.


  8. #80
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    511
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC Motion Control Board

    The chief difference between LinuxCNC and buffered motion control systems like Mach or UCCNC is that the real time motion control parts of LinuxCNC are done at the host
    and are therefore accessible to system integrators in a way that buffered systems motion control apparatus is not. In most buffered systems the motion control code is proprietary,
    hidden and not user extensible. In contrast LinuxCNCs motion control setup gives users/integrators direct access to all real time motion in an environment with almost unlimited memory and CPU horsepower.
    This allows real time customizations that are not practical or even possible with buffered systems, unless the hardware manufacturer adds the feature.

    This power and flexibility does come at a cost, it requires that the host computer run a real time operating system.



  9. #81
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    261
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC Motion Control Board

    Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    I'm not admitting I'm asking, I don't know how it works and you seemed like you know, so I asked how that works.

    THC hardware just measuring voltage and generating the THC up and down and arc ok signals. You have to have a hardware which measures the arc voltage, I mean you need that with linuxcnc too right? Or you connecting the hundreds of volts directly to the computer?!
    My understanding is that the motion controller is controlling the THC with Mach3 and UCCNC so it is realtime on the motion controller. I guess voltage could be also digitized into the motion controller, it has 2 analog inputs, but I did not try to use that because I have a THC controller.
    Thats my point. You only need to send the divided voltage and ArcOK to Linuxcnc and the motion controller can directly control z axis torch height instead of using a rather crude method of generating up and down signals for the reasons outlined so eloquently by Peter from Mesa in a more recent post. But not only that, you can build vastly more sophisticated control such as velocity anti dive, kerf crossing, auto torch sampling etc into the
    motion control setup that has direct access to all real time motion in an environment with almost unlimited memory and CPU horsepower


    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au


  10. #82
    Registered
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    622
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: CNC Motion Control Board

    Quote Originally Posted by rodw View Post
    Thats my point. You only need to send the divided voltage and ArcOK to Linuxcnc and the motion controller can directly control z axis torch height instead of using a rather crude method of generating up and down signals for the reasons outlined so eloquently by Peter from Mesa in a more recent post. But not only that, you can build vastly more sophisticated control such as velocity anti dive, kerf crossing, auto torch sampling etc into the
    I think UCCNC can do the same with UC300ETH, it has 2 analog inputs and it controls the THC in realtime or at least I see no delays. It also has anti dive, anti down etc.
    I'm using a THC controller though it was the simplest to do for me.
    And I do not see any difference if an electronics (THC) measures and compares the voltage to a set point and sending that to the controller of if the controller measures that voltage and internally generating those up down movements. Maybe there is difference which I do not see, but the THC controller method works perfectly for me, I do not need a better one.



Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

CNC Motion Control Board

CNC Motion Control Board