New Machine Build Control box half done now to setup mach 4 for testing need help

Thread: Control box half done now to setup mach 4 for testing need help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Control box half done now to setup mach 4 for testing need help

Hello,

I have made a component box for a three axis machine. I setup x and y hardware and wanted to test with mach4. Not sure how to go about setting up the parameters. Do I need special software for the serial cable? I'm utilizing cables 2 go serial to USB connector for communication. Installed mach 4 and looked for the pin setup of the breakout board. I didnt see anything in the options menus that was indicative of the pin setup.

At this time I'm trying to run some tests to determine functionality. Anyone have any experience? Using Ebay stepper kit, bob is db25-1205, driver is dq860ma

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Control box half done now to setup mach 4 for testing need help-20190106_221545-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Control box half done now to setup mach 4 for testing need help

Do I need special software for the serial cable? I'm utilizing cables 2 go serial to USB connector for communication.
    Do you mean USB to parallel? If so, that won't work. You need a PCI or native parallel port.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Do you mean USB to parallel? If so, that won't work. You need a PCI or native parallel port.
    Yes I bought a serial to USB cable from cables 2 go for communication from PC to controls.

Downloads
    Uploads

Serial and parallel are two different things. I still don't know which you have.

Mach4 can't communicate via serial cable.
    A USB to parallel cable will not work.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

You can get a UC100 from CNC4PC and run mach4 via USB.

Downloads
    Uploads

This looks like a fairly familiar problem to me.I had a similar fight with the same BOB,but I am using LinuxCNC .Its all 1's and 0's in the end but they need to be sent from a parallel port via a suitable cable.It can be done,but I have to defer to the Mach 4 gurus regarding how.Be aware that you may need to use a logic high configuration which may require an inversion of the output terminals.Couldn't resist the chance to show my control box internals.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Control box half done now to setup mach 4 for testing need help-electrical-job-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the heads up. On the cable and comm stuff. I still have not successfully tested the system. I keep going through the options but no luck. I ended up just plugging direct to the PC port on the motherboard but like I said nothing happening... I may just go buy a native parallel card to eliminate that issue and use a more updated PC. Any mach4 gurus want to chime in on some setup guidance? I found a setup guide online and read some of it, seems there is plugins that need to be added for functionality. Is this where I need to devote some time on? I may just go with linuxCNC if I dont make headway with mach4.

Downloads
    Uploads

It isn't clear how the power supplies are connected to the dq860ma controllers.I hope I have attached a couple of files that may be helpful,I know how difficult it can be to locate good information.Some of the components may be slightly different,but they show the arrangement and one contains notes for Mach 3 that may help in some way with Mach4.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Control box half done now to setup mach 4 for testing need help-image110-jpg   Control box half done now to setup mach 4 for testing need help-st-v2-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Still trying to test this box out. Bought the Darwin legacy driver's for parallel comms with the PC. I know it's not top tech choice but I wanted to test it before I spend lots more money on control hardware. So far I set the specs on Darwin as the video unstructed and still no motion on the motors. Dont understand where I'm missing a step. Anyone want to lend a hand?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by routalot View Post
    It isn't clear how the power supplies are connected to the dq860ma controllers.I hope I have attached a couple of files that may be helpful,I know how difficult it can be to locate good information.Some of the components may be slightly different,but they show the arrangement and one contains notes for Mach 3 that may help in some way with Mach4.

Thanks routalot, the info is very helpful to confirm what I have done. So far connections and software setup is in line with the suggestions provided. I did use Darwin parallel port software instead but that's the only difference. Settings and all that are a close match. Not sure what I am missing. Here are some pics.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by silverdrgn View Post
    Here are some pics.
    Here are a few pica

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Control box half done now to setup mach 4 for testing need help-20190127_135356-jpg   Control box half done now to setup mach 4 for testing need help-20190127_135401-jpg   Control box half done now to setup mach 4 for testing need help-20190127_135424-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The other avenue that might be worth exploring is to use a meter on the terminals from the dq860ma s.It is quite possible in my experience that the correct current is reaching this point.It is equally possible that the cables from the steppers are wrongly connected and I recommend that you verify that the pairing is correct with an ohm-meter.You just never can be sure if the motors were wired up by somebody colour blind.I can offer no advice related to Mach 4 though.

Downloads
    Uploads

I checked the wiring of the motors in the beginning. I believe the issue is a software communication issue. I keep ending up at breakout board and PC comms. Some of the basic tests of successful communication over the parallel port are nullified so I'm thinking of a solution there. Perhaps downgrade to mach3 and try setup again. Or go with ethernet smoothstepper and stick with mach4. LinuxCNC is sounding pretty reasonable about now