How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T

Thread: How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T

Default How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T

I recently purchased a Daewoo Puma 6 that has a Fanuc 6T controller. It was working well until a week ago when one of the EPROMS on the board went out. Fanuc said it is a machine manufacturer issue, Daewoo (Doosan) is looking into it. It's been a week and I still don't know what the cost to fix will be and how long it will take to get the machine up and running. It's an old machine, even if it's a quick fix, I suspect there will be regular little things going wrong.

Here are the specs on the machine:

X axis motor- Fanuc 5M DC Servo
    Z axis motor- Fanuc 10M DC Servo
    Spindle- 7.5 KW AC Servo drive
    Hydraulic chuck, tailstock, and turret
    12 Tool Turret

I would like to swap out the control for something that would be easier to maintain. I don't need a high production machine, just something that can make parts.

I would prefer to keep the motors and the spindle drive. My main concerns are being able to cut threads and controlling the tool turret. To keep the cost down, a PC based controller seems to be the way to go. I run Mach3 with my CNC router and have been very happy with it. Was thinking mach3 or mach4 for this project.

Can anybody give me a road map for this build? Can I do it for under $1000? Attached are some pictures of the turret guts and some other machine info.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-img_9555-jpg   How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-img_9556-jpg   How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-turret-wiring-jpg   How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-img_9522-jpg  

How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-img_9523-jpg   How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-img_9549-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T

You might have a look at this thread https://www.cnczone.com/forums/gener...295-forum.html

and this thread https://www.cnczone.com/forums/hardi...-software.html

If you can write Mach3 macros and have reasonable electrical control system skills, then you should be able to do what you want. A lathe is a lot more complicated than a router, and you're not going to run it with a parallel cable breakout board. Interfacing with the Fanuc drives can be a challenge, but yours are DC so may not be so difficult. I gave up trying to interface my Fanuc AC servos and went with new servo motors and drives. The only thing that is original is the spindle motor and I'm running that with a VFD.

Can you do it for $1000? Maybe.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thanks Jim.

I've read a bit about the macros for tool changes in Mach3. Their website is currently having some problems so I can't do forum searches to read topics directly related to macros and tool turrets.

What makes the lathe a lot more complicated to control than a router? Spindle control and the tool turret?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

The turret control, spindle control, hydraulic system, and other various systems add more complexity to the system. There are a number of sensors, switches, relays, and contactors that don't exist in a router. These inputs and outputs are read/controlled by the computer. The Fanuc computer handled all of this, but you will have to duplicate what the Fanuc computer did in order for the machine to operate properly.

For instance, it looks like your turret has 3 prox sensors on it, each of these requires an input to the computer, code to do something with those inputs, and then output the proper signals to the hydraulic valves to rotate the turret and properly position the next tool.

People are running CNC lathes with Mach3, but most are simple bench lathe conversions that don't have all of the hardware that a commercial slant bed turret lathe has.

When I started my lathe conversion project I knew what I was getting into because I do this stuff for a living, know how to plan and execute a project like this, and had an adequate budget and other resources to complete the project even with the surprises that I encountered, like having to replace all of the axis servos and drives.

I suspect that your spindle motor might not be a servo motor. I thought my spindle motor was a servo motor also, but after doing a bit of research and testing, I found out it is just a more or less standard 3 phase motor with encoder feedback to the controller. I'm running mine with a sensorless vector VFD.

Here is the data tag on my spindle motor. Mine is a red cap motor, I suspect yours might be a black cap motor.

How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-spindle-motor-tag-jpg

If you feel up to doing a project like this then by all means go for it, but this is not a benchtop router.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-spindle-motor-tag-jpg  
    Last edited by Jim Dawson; 12-10-2018 at 12:48 PM.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Well, finally heard back from Doosan...something about not being able to supply new EPROM. For a mere $8,500 they will come take a look at my machine.

I won't be taking them up on the offer. I'd like the machine online sooner rather than later so I have a new plan:

I will remove the tool turret and make a setup for gang tooling. I don't run complex parts so a couple tools at a time will work for me.

I hope that my spindle motor is controllable with a VFD, that would simplify things. Can I keep the current encoder?

Shoot holes in this plan:

Fanuc 5M X axis- gecko 320X drive
    Fanuc 10M Z axis- DG4S-016035 drive
    Spindle- VFD

Chuck- Manual switch but I'd also like to be able to program open and close commands in order to use a bar puller. I'm hoping this is easy to control since it's a simple valve.

Lube motors/coolant- don't include them in my circuit. Setup some switches that I turn on when I'm using the machine.

Is there any reason that I can't use my current power supply for the DC components?

I have Mach3 already so I'd like to keep it as my lathe controller.

My router runs 3 Fanuc 5M servos w/gecko drives and a 10hp spindle. I can use it as a wiring reference for the servos but the spindle control will be diffrent.

Thanks,

Erik

Downloads
    Uploads

How nice of them to make that offer

You might concider mounting gang tooling to the turret rather than removing it. That way later you could add the turret controls with minimum pain if you wanted to. That would reduce your usable Z travel somewhat but should be manageable if your parts are not too long.

Ok, you do have experience with modifying Fanuc controls and an example already wired up so I think you'll be fine. Generally follow the router wiring. Overall I think your plan is sound.

Yes you can manually operate the chuck with a switch, a footswitch is a common way of doing it. It should be reasonably easy to close and open the chuck with a M10/M11 in G code, it would just need to trigger a relay to shift the valve. I'm sure there is a macro that is already written that you can drop into Mach3. My valves are all 100 volt AC, and the chuck valve is a 2 solenoid, maintained position valve.

Post a picture of the data tag on the spindle motor. Mine runs fine with a sensorless vector VFD. You should be able to use the existing encoder, I think on your motor it is a standard quadrature output. I use the encoder on mine for both threading and speed control. I installed an encoder input module in the VFD, but removed it because I didn't need it and it was causing me some problems. I use direct +/-10V analog control from my controller and have constant surface speed available for turning operations. Not sure if Mach3 supports that.

I would install a control power circuit that energizes the lube pumps, fans, hydraulics, and any other stuff that needs to turn on with power up. This would be seperate from the E-stop circuit that would kill power to the drives and other moving hardware. When the E stop is pulled out, you should have another button to energize the drives, ect, I call mine ''Reset'', nothing is allowed to run until that button is pressed.

Your existing DC supply should work as long as the voltage output is compatible with the new drives.

Sounds like a fun project. I'll be happy to answer any questions that I am able to.

Last edited by Jim Dawson; 12-11-2018 at 10:09 AM.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Floriptoolworks View Post
    Well, finally heard back from Doosan...something about not being able to supply new EPROM. For a mere $8,500 they will come take a look at my machine.

I won't be taking them up on the offer. I'd like the machine online sooner rather than later so I have a new plan:

I will remove the tool turret and make a setup for gang tooling. I don't run complex parts so a couple tools at a time will work for me.

I hope that my spindle motor is controllable with a VFD, that would simplify things. Can I keep the current encoder?

Shoot holes in this plan:

Fanuc 5M X axis- gecko 320X drive
    Fanuc 10M Z axis- DG4S-016035 drive
    Spindle- VFD

Chuck- Manual switch but I'd also like to be able to program open and close commands in order to use a bar puller. I'm hoping this is easy to control since it's a simple valve.

Lube motors/coolant- don't include them in my circuit. Setup some switches that I turn on when I'm using the machine.

Is there any reason that I can't use my current power supply for the DC components?

I have Mach3 already so I'd like to keep it as my lathe controller.

My router runs 3 Fanuc 5M servos w/gecko drives and a 10hp spindle. I can use it as a wiring reference for the servos but the spindle control will be diffrent.

Thanks,

Erik

Well, $8500 I would prefer to change all the CNC control and the servo motors with drives of X, Z and spindle.

http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

I took some time today to start pulling apart the machine.

It looks like the spindle motor is a regular motor, not a servo? I don't know for sure but it looks like pretty standard wiring. Motor tag is pretty much gone, it's a bummer and there isn't much to go on. I'd like to know the HP/KW rating of the motor. My manual says that a 10hp and 15hp were offered. I hope it's 10 because I have a VFD to drive it. I use VFD's but don't know much about them...I'll have more questions as the build progresses.

Tool turret has been removed- lots of area to mount gang tooling and anything else I can come up with.

How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-spindle2-jpgHow to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-spindle1-jpgHow to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-spindle-jpgHow to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-turretremove-jpgHow to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-turretslide-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-spindle2-jpg   How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-spindle1-jpg   How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-spindle-jpg   How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-turretremove-jpg  

How to Swap Out Old Fanuc 6T-turretslide-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You've been busy

From what I can, see your spindle motor looks just like mine. I suspect the the ''200'' is the voltage. I assume that the 15 HP is physically larger than the 10 HP, so I'll get some rough dimensions from mine to compare.

Get the name and part number off of your VFD and I'll try to find the specs and setup data.

You have a nice platform there to set up gang tooling.

Is that a Yale forklift? Looks a little newer than mine, mid 80's?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Your existing DC supply was resident inside each of your old Fanuc servo drives.

If they had a copy of the ladder files, it would be no big deal for them to burn you some new Eproms, if they still have the ability.

Fanuc recently told me that they do in fact still have the ability to burn software Eproms for 6 series controls.

Quote Originally Posted by generaldisarray View Post
    If they had a copy of the ladder files, it would be no big deal for them to burn you some new Eproms, if they still have the ability.

Fanuc recently told me that they do in fact still have the ability to burn software Eproms for 6 series controls.
    Would they be able to write the Daewoo software? That's the problem, the bad EPROM was programmed by the mach maker.

Thanks Jim!

I have a Delta VFD-B

The forklift is a Clark. It's impressive, rated for 5,000 but will happily lift 7,500. Any more than that and I need someone acting as my counterweight.

Downloads
    Uploads

My spindle motor is 8 inch wide x 10 3/4 long for the main frame not including the end bells.

I looked up the specs on your VFD, looks like it will work fine. It is a sensorless vector VFD so that's a good thing.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I think I have the 15hp spindle motor in my machine. I have an extra 10hp motor in the shop so I think I'll swap them out in order to avoid buying a new vfd. Waiting on a couple parts...looking forward to getting this machine running again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Keep us updated. I'm watching with interest.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA