Need Help! Wiring up and installing a high-end Chinese CNC interface

Thread: Wiring up and installing a high-end Chinese CNC interface

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Wiring up and installing a high-end Chinese CNC interface

Hi all.

I'm in the process of setting up my lathe (a Warco GH1236) for a full CNC conversion. So far, I've bought as well-matched a set of components as I've been able - I've got a 12Nm NEMA34 motor for the Z axis, and a 3Nm NEMA23 motor for the X - they're both hybrid steppers, so they've got integrated encoders for fully closed-loop motion. I know enough about working with steppers to not have any major problems with tuning them, although dealing with the encoder side of things is a bit new to me. Either way, so far so good.

My main problem is with the fact that I had the bright idea of buying a servo motor for the spindle. In principle, I get what servos do and roughtly how they do it. I am confident that I'd be able to get the servo entirely under my control using an arduino or a similar microcontroller, but the CNC interface I've bought is a little obtuse to my mind. I have the NewKye 990TDb (the SZGH version of the manual can be found here, which is an impressively comprehensive piece of kit (it even allows you to edit the onboard PLC structure, which I was most definitely not expecting for the money I paid). The manual is, as is traditional, in weapons-grade Chinglish, and the pinouts are somewhat cryptically labelled. There is a pretty well-translated version that was rewritten by (as I understand it, the now deceased) John Stevenson, but it's still fairly close to the source material in terms of not really breaking down I/O functions and explaining them all that well.

What I'm struggling with the most is the fact that there's no apparent capacity for running the Servo in pulse/dir mode on the 990TDb - it only really offers the option of using an anaolgu voltage. not a problem initially, but the servo controller is expecting a full range from -10v to +10v, whereas the TDb only offers 0v to +10v I'm not sure how to either tell the servo that 0-10 is all it's getting, or to convince the TDb to treat the spindle as a pulse/dir-driven motor.

The spindle controller is the same as the AASD30A (manual can be found here) - I've had a general skim-read of it, but until I can print it out, I'm not going to be able to go over it in detail.

Has anyone worked with this kit before, and can shed some light on it? I'm still at the 'figuring out how best to wire it up' stage, so now would be agreat time to tell me if I'm doing it all wrong. I'll include diagrams of how I'm wiring this as soon as I get home and can start drawing it up coherently.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wiring up and installing a high-end Chinese CNC interface

@GerryG

I also converted my lathe to full CNC using an arduino and GRBL for the arduino controller software. I added a stepper (beside the original motor) for the spindle to use it as a C-axis. If you are able to get the spindle driver run in Step-Dir mode you could also use it as C-axis.

According to the table at 2.3.2CN2portinstructions the step/dir mode is supported.
    On page 45 of the manual there is a parameter to set (Pn002) to select this mode. But besides this setting, there are a lot of other parameters that could/should be set.

To run in speed mode, you can setup the analog input value and offset to operate between "any" voltage range including 0..10 volt. Look at page 68 of the manual.

I know this only shows you the way to go and that your goals are within reach using this controller. It will however take a lot of trial and error to get there.

Last edited by hfjbuis; 09-28-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don´t know that it matters.
    My servo, lathe, has s/d and analog and I just use s/dir.

My current tuning is way soft, but it has run for 100+ hours in cutting use.
    As I understood the docs, the tuning parameters are not related to the input type.

The faster I run, c or x or z, the higher the following error.
    I see it on the led.
    I plan to adjust the 2 parameters together to somewhat reduce this, and be happy with it.

Downloads
    Uploads

That was a damn good catch - thank you. I'd not spotted that parameter set, although i did think there'd be something along those lines in there. That should well be what I need. I'll report back when I've made some progress, and hopefully get to a stage where I can start a proper build thread.

I'm going to have to print that manual out and give it a proper read through.

@hanermo, are you using the same CNC interface? Quite aside from the servo driver setup issues I'm having (which, hopefully, @hfjbuis has found a fix for), there's an absolute tar pit of settings built into the interface that I'm still trying to get my way through at the moment.

Last edited by GerryG; 09-28-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Updated to address extra posts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Not that anyone seemed to be asking, but I figured I'd update anyway: I got the servo talking to the CNC interface, and also have life from all of the stepper motors, too. I'm going to be testing the NPN proximity switches I've got with it too sometime this week or next, and hopefully my pendant should arrive within the next couple of days too.
    I'll do as complete a writeup as I can when I get home tonight, to spare anyone else the *ahem* 'voyage of discovery' that I've subjected myself to on this project. All that really remains now is to finish desiging up the mounting plates for the motors and to start disassembling my mill to isntall all of this. After that it's on to the lathe for the same process (hopefully with a speedier setup this time).

FWIW, the Chinese seller for the servo system was remarkably helpful - Mia from the Master Jiang webstore was brilliant - if you're on here, thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads

hi GerryG, I'll be glad to see that! I also bought a Chinese CNC controller for the VMC I'll be building, bought the SZGH1000MDc it arrived yesterday,. it looks very very nice! I powered it up yesterday and the damn thing has LOTS of features and functionalities. I'll also be struggling with wiring myself and the manual is exactly as you say "weapons grade Chinlish", leaks lots of info but the guys from SZGH are being very helpfull, they even got an engineer helping on Whatsapp. so I'm confident... but a better manual would be much appreciated, this controller is Absolute so it get feedback from the servos and not a single page on the manual reffers how to setup this lol.... anyway I also will be making a full review, wiring and setup of this thing when I get it to work myself...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by vakeiros View Post
    hi GerryG, I'll be glad to see that! I also bought a Chinese CNC controller for the VMC I'll be building, bought the SZGH1000MDc it arrived yesterday,. it looks very very nice! I powered it up yesterday and the damn thing has LOTS of features and functionalities. I'll also be struggling with wiring myself and the manual is exactly as you say "weapons grade Chinlish", leaks lots of info but the guys from SZGH are being very helpfull, they even got an engineer helping on Whatsapp. so I'm confident... but a better manual would be much appreciated, this controller is Absolute so it get feedback from the servos and not a single page on the manual reffers how to setup this lol.... anyway I also will be making a full review, wiring and setup of this thing when I get it to work myself...

I have bought the same control. I'm having trouble controlling the spindle speed. Could someone provide a wiring diagram?
    The wiring diagram in the manuals are not very helpful.