What CNC controller for new CNC machine?

Thread: What CNC controller for new CNC machine?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What CNC controller for new CNC machine?

Hi CNC's

I really hope that you can help me out....

I'm going to buy a CNC router machine, and have talked to various suppliers/sellers. The machines I have got quotes for are using different controllers, and frankly speaking I have absolutely no idea, what to choose.
    DSP/NK105, Mach3 or NC-studio?

What controller would you go for, and why?

Really hope for some informative replies.

Thanks a lot in advance...

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What CNC controller for new CNC machine?

Centroid Acorn or UCCNC.
    Both are well supported, and far superior to Mach3.

You won't get much if any support from China for the DSP or NC Studio.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Aze View Post
    Hi CNC's

I really hope that you can help me out....

I'm going to buy a CNC router machine, and have talked to various suppliers/sellers. The machines I have got quotes for are using different controllers, and frankly speaking I have absolutely no idea, what to choose.
    DSP/NK105, Mach3 or NC-studio?

What controller would you go for, and why?

Really hope for some informative replies.

Thanks a lot in advance...
    Eding is probably close by for you all of the controls in this list are good controls, it would depend on how much you want to spend and what you want to do

Eding CNC would be a good choice for you Eding CNC - PC based CNC control

Centroid Acorn Acorn CNC controller, Step and Direction 4 axis CNC Control board with ethernet communication.DIY CNC kit

Planet CNC https://planet-cnc.com/

UCCNC control CNCdrive - motion controls

Mach3 / Mach4 Mach4 - Newfangled Solutions

Did not read your post very well out of the controls offered probably only one NC Studios, the problem you are going to have with all these controls is they will be copies and none of them function how they should, so in reality none of what you can get with the machine are going to be great with Mach3 though at least you can get a real copy quite easy

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you very much for the replies.

But now I'm even more confused and unsure about the controller! The controllers you mention, are they for use in "factory build" CNC machines as well? Because none of the suppliers have talked about these at all!

Should I buy the CNC and then change the controller later? Or could it be an option telling the supplier to use this specific controller by design?

The controllers I have got quotes for, are they completely useless, or what is the problem?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you very much for the replies.

But now I'm even more confused and unsure about the controller! The controllers you mention, are they for use in "factory build" CNC machines as well? Because none of the suppliers have talked about these at all!

Should I buy the CNC and then change the controller later? Or could it be an option telling the supplier to use this specific controller by design?

The controllers I have got quotes for, are they completely useless, or what is the problem?
    The controls we posted are what can be used to run any machine like what you are getting, so there are lots of choices

Mach3 will be a copy for sure, which don't always perform as it should, if the machine is not expensive then NC Studio can will be a copy also, sometimes users have no trouble and then there are those that never get them running with the control they come with,, so if you where to get it with Mach3 then that would be the easiest one to get up and running even if you had to reload with the real Mach3 software

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the explanation...
    It's not a cheap-cheap CNC I'm looking at, but it is from China. It will be from one of the companies that are mentioned in the CNCzone "trusted suppliers"-thread. But I have no idea how to find out if the controller is a copy or not!

Do you know the DSP system "NK-105"? This is an option as well, but I can't find out if this would be better then the PC-based controllers like Mach/NC-Studio?!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the explanation...
    It's not a cheap-cheap CNC I'm looking at, but it is from China. It will be from one of the companies that are mentioned in the CNCzone "trusted suppliers"-thread. But I have no idea how to find out if the controller is a copy or not!

Do you know the DSP system "NK-105"? This is an option as well, but I can't find out if this would be better then the PC-based controllers like Mach/NC-Studio?!
    Go through the NCStudio manual, and then look at the NK-105 control and see which one has the features that you want NK-105 is made by the same company that does NCStudios

CNC NK105 G2 DSP Control System Weihong NK105G2 Kontroler for 3 Axis CNC Routers

Attached Files Attached Files
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I have an Axiom Elite router that uses a HUST DSP. While it is nice enough, there are few user controls. Higher level controls and settings are there but are password protected and are a bit of a pain to get into to change. It is a rock solid performer though.
    A DSP is not something I would recommend for a beginner.
    I would go with the UCCNC. I am working on installing the 400ETH in my old Pulsar mill now. Taking my time with it. Dead easy though.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec: Haha, I have no idea what to look for, so I'm just in to find the best solution for my purpose as a totally newbie! I don't know what "features" to look for! Just need the "best" solution from the start.

LeeWay: How come the DSP should be more advanced to use, than the "PC-based" controller with the PCI-insert card? Isn't the DSP just a faster way to get started? Isn't it the same software, etc that is used for making the actual files for the machine?
    Can I just buy the UCCNC controller to replace the ordinary controller in a standard CNC machine?

Downloads
    Uploads

It is just a pain to input all the settings in a DSP when initially setting up the machine. It's not a PC, so no mouse. It is certainly doable. You only have the features that are programmed into it. No adding things like you can with a PC.

As far as the best solution goes, they will all do the job. Some more reliable than others. Some with different features and ease of use. Not really a right and wrong selection here.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Can I just buy the UCCNC controller to replace the ordinary controller in a standard CNC machine?
    Yes, but it probably won't be a simple plug and play swap. It may require a lot of rewiring, depending on the existing system. I'd probably recommend the DSP.
    But with any chinese machine, be aware that you may want to or need to replace the control in the future.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Aze .. everything has pros and cons.

From Mach3/pp .. to HAAS ... to Siemens 802D ... chinese GSK .. Mach3/4 CSlabs .. Machx PoLabs .. Linux/Mesa, .. others ..

For a fairly basic wood router on steppers, most stuff wont matter.
    The more advanced, fast, accurate, industrial one goes, the more complex it gets.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just got a reply from one of the suppliers I have talked to...
    They are using a controller from Eding CNC, which they talks very good about!
    Do you know the controllers from Eding?
    Eding CNC - PC based CNC control

I really prefer to buy the machine with the right controller by design, instead of replacing it later!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, the Eding control is good.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Downloads
    Uploads

I just got a reply from one of the suppliers I have talked to...
    They are using a controller from Eding CNC, which they talks very good about!
    Do you know the controllers from Eding?
    Eding CNC - PC based CNC control

I really prefer to buy the machine with the right controller by design, instead of replacing it later!
    This is a very good control expensive but worth the cost I have the Ethernet control model I would not go for the USB model as you can have problems with the USB connection, this goes for any USB control connections avoid them if you can

That would be kind of unusual if the Chinese was offering the Eding Control, you could check with Eding to see if they supply the company you saw that is using there control
    You can find Eding here

+31 40 7803052
    Fransebaan 590B, 5627JM Eindhoven, The Netherlands

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know what size or kind of CNC machine you're looking for, but have you considered an off line controller? I have a 3020 router with a DDCSV1.1 controller. The biggest advantage is that it eliminates the need for computer control. You can use almost any G-Code file to run your machine. You can use any cadd/cam program you want to generate a G-code, then copy the file onto a thumb drive or stick. Insert the drive into the controller and run the file.
    After many weeks of trying to get any computer program to even start my machine, I gave up. I'm a machinist, not a computer programmer, so I tried looking for an alternative to the computer control systems and ran across this off line controller. I decided to try it since it cost less than some of the cad/cam software I'd seen. The wiring was a project in itself but nothing I couldn't handle. The biggest problem was that the system on my machine was equipped for a USB computer connection that I couldn't use. ( a parallel equipped machine would have been a snap) The bottom line is that it really simplified turning drawings into products.

Skip

Downloads
    Uploads

So Aze, which controller did you end going with, and why?