Need Help! connectiong 2 computers

Thread: connectiong 2 computers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default connectiong 2 computers

I have a laptop that I make all my programs on and then put programs on USB then upload them on my computer that has Mach 3.

My Question is can I use a network cable to connect the 2 computers and simply map a drive and drag and drop the programs ?

any and all help is appreciated

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Default Re: connectiong 2 computers

Don't know if you are still working on this but...there are a few ways to do what you would like. First off, we will need to know what you are running for software on both computers and if both computers have a way to connect: parallel port, serial port, network cables, etc.

Hope we can help...
    D

Downloads
    Uploads

Learn,

This is very easy to accomplish if you have a network with a router just plug in both computers to the router and turn on sharing for both computers. If you have no network or router available you can still connect the two computers using a direct connection. This require a null modem type networking cable where some of the wires are reversed, they sell these at computer stores they are very common. If you have that cable you plug one end into each computer, now since you do not have a router there is no IP address assigned by DHCP, so you have to go to the networking tab and assign a static IP address like 10.168.1.2 and 10.168.1.4, then you must reboot the computers when they come up again they will have a static IP address. Now you turn on sharing and you will be able to see both computers and move files between them over the network link. Honestly, you might want to buy a cheap router and even do this wirelessly without any cables. You do not need a internet connection but a router would eliminate the need for setting up static IP address and the need to make changes each time you wanted to use those computers to access the internet.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

on my mach 3 computer it is windows XP

my other computer is my laptop and it is running windows 8

Downloads
    Uploads

Learn,

Can can still connect the computers with XP and Win8, you did not say if they had a network between them?

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No network in the garage. I do have an old router but I had no luck trying that

Downloads
    Uploads

Learn,

My advice would be to buy a cheap 2.4GHz wireless router, do you have a wireless card in the computer in the garage? If not they make cheap cards or small USB dongles that provide Wireless connection. The wireless approach is the easiest thing to do and some of these wireless routers are $40 at local computer stores like MicroCenter, Fry Electronics, etc. Once you have the computer so it can talk to the router the rest is simple. Just turn on sharing and you can setup a folder to move files.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

A lot of the wireless routers now support USB drives or keys, so this would make it much easier to share files from one location to another without enabling shares on machines.

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Downloads
    Uploads

Learn,

aarggh is correct the latest set of wireless routers have the feature to share a USB stick, however you can share the directory where you process your file with your CAM tool as well.

Russ