Need help setting up network

Thread: Need help setting up network

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help setting up network

Got a new computer, it is a Windows 8 64 bit system. It has wireless networking. My old computer had the 9 pin RS232 port, this one does not. I could use a USB-9 pin adaptor but was hoping to eliminate that also. I have a Netgear wireless router and a Linksys 5 port switch. I am assuming I need the switch because I have more machines than ports on the router. The machines all have a 25 pin connector, and I have cat 5 cables running to each machine from the same area the router/switch are.

My specific questions are: Do I need cross over cat 5 cables since my cross over took place in the cat 5/9 pin adaptors?

Or, should I make the cross over in the 25 pin/cat 5 adaptor?

Where do the router and switch fit in the system? (desktop-router-switch-machine tool) or (desktop-switch-router-machine tool)

Thanks, Denis

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help setting up network

My head nearly exploded reading this post, I'm assuming you are talking about simply connecting computers together is a local area network? As the 25 pin references didn't make sense in this context. If your purely talking IT networking, you shouldn't need cross over cables unless your hooking two computers directly together bypassing any switches.

Most switches now have auto sense ports, so standard and cross over cables should work from switch to machines or to routers.

Is this what you meant?

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help setting up network

I should have explained better, I am trying to hook up cnc lathes and machining centers so I can send/receive part programs, (text files) via communication software (Predator). The machines have a 25 pin serial port and my new computer has wireless communication.
    Now that I think of it, the real question is, can serial type data be transferred wireless? Is there hardware available to do this?