Help needed to connect Mitsubishi Meldas to PC

Thread: Help needed to connect Mitsubishi Meldas to PC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Help needed to connect Mitsubishi Meldas to PC

Hello All,
    I'm needing some help connecting a Mitsubishi Meldas 520 to a PC. I bought a null modem cable that has a DB9 connector on one end and a DB25 on the other, and I have connected the PC and CNC control together. All the parameters are properly set as per Mitsubishi's instructions-on the PC end, 7 data bits, even parity, 2 stop bits. On the controller, 8 data bits, no parity, and 2 stop bits. I'm attempting to use two different programs to transfer data. One is NCnet Lite 4.1, the other is Quick Link 2000 from Microcimm.
    Whenever I attempt to download from the controller, I can see the program scrolling down the monitor, but there is nothing going on at the PC. When I try to upload to the controller, the PC sends the program, but nothing happens at the controller, other than it times out. From what I understand, I should be seeing something, even if it is gibberish. So maybe someone out there has seen something similar, and could steer me in the right direction because I'm way out of my league here. Thank You for your time. Shane.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Whoa....both serial port settings need to be the same.

Downloads
    Uploads

On the 520, make sure you have the same port designated for send and recieve and that the device is the same, make sure the baud rate is the same, as you say, you should see something when downloading to PC, even if it is garbage, I usually use the 3 wire cable on this system, (handshake jumpered out).
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Al-
    Thanks for the information. You wouldn't happen to have a wiring diagram for the 3-wire cable that you could give me? Thanks for your time. Shane.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you look up the Mitsubishi M50 it should give you the pin out for the three wire and also they have a free DNC communication s/w. http://www.cadem.com/ncnet/ncnet_dncdetails-41.htm
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Al-
    I have soldered up a new 3-wire cable with the 1,4,6 & 7,8 jumpered together on the 9 pin, and the 8,20,6 & 4,5 jumpered together on the 20 pin. The 3-wires are going from 2-2, 3-3, and 5-7. Now the CNC controller is giving me a E04 Device not ready error. From what I can see, all the parameters are set correctly- any ideas? Thanks again for your input. Shane.

Downloads
    Uploads

With the hardware handshake jumpered out, it should show the device as ready, so as long as there is nothing wrong with the port itself, the usual problem for this message is that the wrong port is assigned. i.e. if you are connected to 0 and 1 is assigned. Mitsubishi usually has at least two physical ports, 0 & 1
    The 'devices' PC, punch etc are logical assignments and can be assigned to either port.
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

2 J ,
    Just curious, what kind of set up,laptop or desktop,lathe, mill,edm.
    Have been working on simular setup with Meldas 50 to laptop through
    usb to DB25 to RS232 (wierd results so far,nothing useable).Maybe
    if Caboose sees this thread he can help?,He was working on simmular setup.
    Bear

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Bear,
    I'm running a desktop PC using the rs-232 9 pin serial port to the CNC's 25 pin connector. The controller is a Meldas 520 on a Mighty/Viper VMC.
    I've tried a null modem cable and had the controller outputing, but the PC wasn't receiving the data. When I tried to use a 3-wire cable I get a E04 Device not ready error. I'm going to build another cable and try that. I'm attempting to use two different DNC programs: Quick Link 2K from MicroCimm, and NCnet Lite 4.1. What kind of issues are you having, and what type of set up are you using? Shane.

P.S. Thanks for the info Al, I'll look into that.

Last edited by 2_jammer; 09-14-2005 at 04:41 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 2_jammer View Post
    Hello Bear,
    I'm running a desktop PC using the rs-232 9 pin serial port to the CNC's 25 pin connector. The controller is a Meldas 520 on a Mighty/Viper VMC.
    I've tried a null modem cable and had the controller outputing, but the PC wasn't receiving the data. When I tried to use a 3-wire cable I get a E04 Device not ready error. I'm going to build another cable and try that. I'm attempting to use two different DNC programs: Quick Link 2K from MicroCimm, and NCnet Lite 4.1. What kind of issues are you having, and what type of set up are you using? Shane.

P.S. Thanks for the info Al, I'll look into that.
    Hi, Have you solved this problem? I'm having the same problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Angry Never got it woking

I never got that networking problem sorted out. The owner of the company didn't want to spend the money to have someone come and fix it, and I have since moved on to another organization. I tried all sorts of different cable configurations, and settings in the controller, nothing worked. All I can think of is maybe the network card is no good... It might be easier to just add a disk drive to it. If you ever get your problem solved, please post it here and tell us what you did.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

My machines have Mits M3 controls which are similar to the M520. I have a 9 pin to 25 pin serial cable with a null modem adapter on the 25 pin end. I use Windows Hyperterminal for file transfer with the following settings:

HT:
    9600 baud
    7 data bits
    even parity
    2 stop bits
    hardware flow control

HT requires some fiddling with the terminal emulation to get the line feeds correct.

At the control, I have the settings shown in the pictures.

I have not been able to get HT to DNC yet, only transfer.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help needed to connect Mitsubishi Meldas to PC-null-jpg   Help needed to connect Mitsubishi Meldas to PC-screen_1-jpg   Help needed to connect Mitsubishi Meldas to PC-screen_2-jpg   Help needed to connect Mitsubishi Meldas to PC-screen_3-jpg  

Help needed to connect Mitsubishi Meldas to PC-screen_4-jpg   Help needed to connect Mitsubishi Meldas to PC-screen_5-jpg   Help needed to connect Mitsubishi Meldas to PC-ht-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I would try

First I would try to set HT in XON/XOFF mode and try to send code from machine to computer first. let me know what hapens.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

please i need the diagram wire for the rs232 db9 to db25 for the Meldas 500 Series I hope your cooperation. My email peruparty@hotmail.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default nightmares

i have a dyna 4800 cnc with a m3 mitzubishi contol i am unable to get communication from the computer using mastercam baud rate is 9600
    7 data bit and 2 stop bits to the cnc machine
    the settings dynametronics gave me were rechecked to 9600 with the 7data and 2 stop bits i tried all settings 8 data bits included and my machine has been down for 6 weeks . can anyone help me

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

manuf,

You should be able to use the settings I have a couple posts up. I'm running Dyna DM4400s with M3 controls. Which port are you plugged into on the machine? The front control pendant or the rear power cabinet?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default FIXED

Quote Originally Posted by manuf View Post
    i have a dyna 4800 cnc with a m3 mitzubishi contol i am unable to get communication from the computer using mastercam baud rate is 9600
    7 data bit and 2 stop bits to the cnc machine
    the settings dynametronics gave me were rechecked to 9600 with the 7data and 2 stop bits i tried all settings 8 data bits included and my machine has been down for 6 weeks . can anyone help me
    Between a machine repairman and Mitsubishi tech support,helping him over the phone. I got my 1994 SuperMaxx, Max 1 Rebel with Mitsubishi Meldas 3 control communications working fine with Mastercam. Took them 15 minutes, I tried for 2 days, with the book. Call Mitsubishi tech support, it's free.

Downloads
    Uploads

2_jammer, koeitool,

Have some elaborate answers in post #4 and #6 in this here thread. Hope it can add some help. My Meldas 520 AM works great with those settings.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92907

Default Re: Help needed to connect Mitsubishi Meldas to PC

someone could help me, I would like to know how Mastercam RECEIVE programs to Meldas mitsubishi 50