machining graphite - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: machining graphite

Community Moderator
    Downloads
    Uploads

You should evacuate or catch the dust in any case, so the guides aren't a problem.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The graphite used in edm is a byproduct of oil refining. The graphite for lubricating is the mineral graphite. Two completely different things with the same name.

When I ran a edm most of our electrodes were form ground on a surface grinder. We would have a set-up electrode to get the correct dimension on, then take the rest of the electrodes to size with one cut each. Talk about dust

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by packrat View Post
    The graphite used in edm is a byproduct of oil refining. The graphite for lubricating is the mineral graphite. Two completely different things with the same name.

When I ran a edm most of our electrodes were form ground on a surface grinder. We would have a set-up electrode to get the correct dimension on, then take the rest of the electrodes to size with one cut each. Talk about dust
    I can smell the oil after the cut. Fortunately the water trap works wonders for keeping the dust under control and I don't have a black nose. It gets nearly all the dust expect for the lager bits which escape the vacuum. I still need find a way to cover the ways on the lather though.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Another interesting thing about graphite

is that the dust conducts electricty. It's used to make motor brushes and conductive paint, among other things. So if you let it float around your shop, it will get into your computer, with results you may not be happy about...

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a pretty decent article on graphite on wikipedia.

Graphite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was surprised that in the US, most graphite is synthetic, and most internationally sourced is from natural sources. It didn't surprise me that the US supply is mostly synthetic, I just didn't realize it was a natural product.

The range of variations was also a surprise.

The reason I looked at graphite, is that I need a reasonably pure carbon source for a project, and wondered if scap graphite from machining was a viable source for it. The answer seems to be maybe.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: machining graphite

here is the article What Is Graphite and What Makes It So Special? hope it helps!
    catty

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: machining graphite

Hello everyone!
    I need milling graphite electrodes. Those used in electric furnaces of the steelworks .
    Someone can help me with Ks data or the value of the cutting pressure of this material ?
    With this data you could calculate the necessary power forward speed , and cutting speed .
    We also need to know what kind of tool would be best: fast or carbide steel insert .

Greetings and thanks for the help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12