I wish I had a new story to tell. I was a victim of the same old story ! Give a low quote to get me in the door, then raise the price. If that was not bad enough, it lasted only till the third time I turned the controller on. It was a Dan Foss VLT 8000 .
I am adding the email chain, so you see the facts, response and effort I went through to get them to warranty their failure. No where on their website or invoice do they offer a warranty !
You to use another company to protect yourself from this sad old story !!!
Regards,
John Satterfield

Remember,,, email chains start at the bottom and run up.

Will do John.

-Mike Madsen

Expert Industrial Electronic Repair
Servo Drives, Power Supplies, PC Boards,
Controllers, HMI’s, Servo Motors & more

EIC, Incorporated
Phone: 770.956.7838 - Fax: 770.956.1118
E-Mail: mike@eicrepair.com - Web: www.eicrepair.com

Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 8:53 AM
To: mike@eicrepair.com
Subject: Re: Danfoss 1

Mike,

All things have been thoroughly checked here, no problems anywhere.

After giving reasons and documentation for more than a week to have you see reason, my view is only reinforced. I made a mistake sending my unit to your company.

Please return it as sent.

My shipper number is 113-584

Just send ground.

Regards,

John

Sent: Friday, January 25, 2019 4:46 PM

To: 'John Satterfield'

Subject: RE: Danfoss 1

Hey John,
We would like to help you & we would definitely like to be your repair company of choice. However, we firmly believe the problem to be on your end & not with the repair & that is why we cannot repair this a 2nd time under warranty, but rather as a show of good faith offer you the $895. We believe in our work & to not stand by it would show a lack of integrity. We suspect you can understand that being a business man yourself.

We strongly suggest that you make sure you have taken care of the following regardless of the route you choose:

• That there are no issues w/ the windings in the motor grounding when it’s turning
  • That there is no leakage of any of the internal windings with ground connection in the motor
  • All cables used for the connection of this drive to your environment are good
  • Incoming power on start-up is not more than the drive can handle

You have mentioned other quotes for new and warranties with those quotes and if you decide to go that route (without getting your motor fixed), you may want to get in writing that their warranty will be good even in the event your motor takes their drive out.

Thanks John. Let me know what you decide. Hope you have a great weekend!

BTW: Everyone here thought those pics you sent of your carburetors were awesome!

-Mike Madsen

EIC, Incorporated

Sent: Friday, January 25, 2019 12:23 PM

Mike ,

I am attaching two more bits of information.

1) A current estimate to replace from a long time friend. ( who owns the largest electric motor shop in New York)

2) A copy of the original invoice from EIC.

I looked for a warranty on the invoice and your website, could not find one anywhere, interesting.

Last response, I sent a copy of what a new replacement would have cost including insulation. That offered a two year warrantee.

The quote I have for the newest replacement comes with a three year warrantee.

The parts price on your original invoice was $359.00.. That seems like a small price to warrantee a produce and keep a customer happy!

I tried your company because I have other Dan Foss units in the field, with customers,,, and wanted a repair source. That has not worked out.

At this point, I would sell them new when there is a problem.

Here is a link to our Test System using these controllers.

dAM Wet Flow 3000

I hope all is reconsidered,,, so we may do business now and in the future.

Regards,

John

Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 4:13 PM

Appreciate your response John. Let us know what you decide & then we can go from there.
I will get w/ Parul tomorrow to see about the test voltage for the controller.

Thanks & have a great evening!

-Mike Madsen

EIC, Incorporated

Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 12:17 PM

Hi Mike,

I have been thinking about this email response, that is why I have not communicated with you.

It is nice to see you are now following some of the suggestion I have made about the first installation.

I called Henery Schreck of HA Scheck ( in Poughkeepsie NY )where I am from. Probably the largest eclectic motor repair shop in New York State.

We have know each other more than fifty years, so getting some getting some help is not a problem.

He is also aware of the environment in our area.

Can you show me your test voltage for the controller?

The test machine this controller goes on allows me to text my products below and above any range a customer will ever see, to be sure my products exceed the range of use.

I have checked these item while Parul was on the phone. Everything is good.

In your email you talk about a warrantee , this is where that should take place, if you stand behind your work!

I am also attaching a quote I received at the same time from another company for you to see why I said to Chad and yourself my mistake was choosing your company in light of how I am being treated.

The other company would have supplies a new controller and drove here from New Jersey to install it for the same original quote Chad gave me $2495.00.

I choose your company because you said it could be fixed and there would be no trouble. That has not turned out to be true.

I am still considering things. I am hoping your company realizes I am not the average customer, I wanted a long term relationship with a company who could repair

Dan Foss units, because that is what I have sold my customers in the past.

Please look over the attached quote to see why I am sad at this point, and still thinking about what to do.

Regards,

John`

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 5:01 PM

Hey John,
I have met with our owner, Jerry. I have also met in an additional separate meeting w/ Jerry, Chad & Parul together. We have gone over the notes and documentation that we have on file from the beginning (back in September). As a show of good faith, we are able to offer $895 (not to include S&H) for this repair (instead of your current quote of $1795).

In addition, since it is our belief that there is an issue on your end causing the drive to blow, we will need you to confirm via email that you have verified the following list of items on your end:

• That there are no issues w/ the windings in the motor grounding when it’s turning
  • That there is no leakage of any of the internal windings with ground connection in the motor
  • All cables used for the connection of this drive to your environment are good
  • Incoming power on start-up is not more than the drive can handle

Without these items being addresses and confirmed, then we will not be able to offer you a warranty on this 2nd repair should you choose to approve it. Please know that it is our belief that any drive you install will blow without your environment being addressed, whether it be one that we repair for you or one you purchase elsewhere. If you require videos of your drive running a motor under load, we are happy to provide that as well. We are also happy to be on the phone / facetime during installation if needed, just please let us know.

Thanks John, let me know how you want to proceed. I will give you a call tomorrow, if I do not hear from you first.
Have a good evening.

-Mike Madsen

EIC, Incorporated

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 11:49 AM

Mike,

Here is the story line information you asked for.

The first person I communicated with at your company was yourself, as you can see in this letter.

You referred me to Chad for an estimate of repairs, so I could choose repair or replace.

On the phone Chad said the range he expected would be between $500 to $700 . So I sent the unit to your company.

The quote came back at $2395.00 . I explained to Chad then, that was to far from the phone quote to be anything I would consider,

When this kind of thing happens, I start loosing faith in the person and process at that point.

Chad said, he would see what he could do. He came back with $1795.00 .

Still far beyond the estimate, needing the controller, I said go ahead with it at that time.

That into account that this is how your company works. I could be satisfied if all worked well for a normal time.

Controller came back to me with no special instructions.

I installed it, and it worked. So I had no reason to think anything needed further attention.
First time I used it again was January 10, 2019 . I did have an alarm when I turned the circuit breaker on. I figured it was cold, so I turned

Breaker off then on,, all was good. Used it to wet flow a carburetor. The running time for testing is around 15 seconds.

Five seconds at 30%,, five seconds at 50% and five seconds at 70% blower drive speed.

Last week when I turned on the circuit breaker on, the alarm came on, so I reset it again. The panel came up fully, but no motor speed.

I called,, Chad passed me to Parul. He started deflecting as soon I started telling him what was happing. I explained to him then, that we were only going talk about the problem and solution.

He was on the phone as I went through his check list.

Check voltage

Listen to relays connect

Look at on screen outputs

Check output to motor voltage

I sent controller in.

Here we are again,, saying everything is bad again. As I explained, nothing is the same here between the first time and this time.

First time, when I turned on the circuit breaker nothing happened. No screen,, no circuit breakers,, no fans ,,, nothing.

This time,, everything is working, just no output voltage to the motor.

This motor only turns a fan. It is a huge overkill for the job that it is doing. It never gave me an issue while running, only when turning on the circuit breaker.

Because I have two CNC’s running all the time, I monitor voltage regularly. I have two in-house transformers to make any adjustments necessary for them.

I would like to develop a relationship where if I have needs or problems they can be solved.

I am not willing to pay again for what I have already paid for. That seems normal to me.

I can go on, but this and our conversation should be enough.

Regards,

John

Please let me know you received this email.

Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 8:01 AM

Morning John,
Hope you got my VM yesterday. I just wanted to touch base and let you know I am working on pulling some numbers for an estimated range on the boards vs the drive. Obviously, it will be cheaper to do just the boards, but as we discussed yesterday, you run the risk of there being something else wrong causing issues with one of the boards and actually end up costing more. Basically, it will all come down to your confidence in what is going on with the drive.

I will get you those numbers once I get them. Let me know if you have any other questions. I have attached a packing slip for you, just so you have it if you decide to send any of these units to us for free evaluation & repair.

Thanks,
-Mike Madsen

EIC, Incorporated