Used ZCorp Printer Buying Advice Needed

Thread: Used ZCorp Printer Buying Advice Needed

Default Used ZCorp Printer Buying Advice Needed

I'm looking at getting a 3D printer for printing direct casting molds for aluminum for small scale prototype work. I'm thinking it will save a fair amount of labor from my current process (making wood patterns for sand casting on the CNC).

I found a ZCorp 310 locally for two thousand bucks. The guys does not seem to know much about printing but claims it works. Any advise/suggestions are welcomed. A few questions below:

1. Are there expensive parts on this printer that commonly break / how to test for good functionality?

2. It seems the printer has a computer, does this computer run both the software that imports the STL file and processes it as well as controls the printing or just the latter and you need a separate pc with slicing software?

3. How does the ZCorp software licensing work - do I need to make sure I have a key and setup files in case I need to re-install at some point? Will ZCorp give you the software for free if you own one of their printers? I would hate to end up with a printer that needs $$ worth of software.

Thanks,
    Adam

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Used ZCorp Printer Buying Advice Needed

Quote Originally Posted by adamflyer View Post
    I'm looking at getting a 3D printer for printing direct casting molds for aluminum for small scale prototype work. I'm thinking it will save a fair amount of labor from my current process (making wood patterns for sand casting on the CNC).

[I'm not sure sand-casting patterns made on the Z-310 will really be any better or easier to make than the wooden ones you're making on your CNC. The surfaces won't be as smooth, and the material is less durable. The main excuse for using a machine like this is the ability to have part configurations that aren't machinable, but that doesn't apply here, since a drafted pattern won't have any surfaces that a tool can't reach.]

I found a ZCorp 310 locally for two thousand bucks. The guys does not seem to know much about printing but claims it works. Any advise/suggestions are welcomed. A few questions below:

1. Are there expensive parts on this printer that commonly break / how to test for good functionality?

[Yes, there are plenty of them, and they aren't readily available, since those machines are old and obsolete. The printheads it requires are an example; they aren't made any more, so they've become quite rare and expensive. You can run it to make sure it works, but that's no guarantee it's going to keep working.]

2. It seems the printer has a computer, does this computer run both the software that imports the STL file and processes it as well as controls the printing or just the latter and you need a separate pc with slicing software?

[The same computer should be able to do both the slicing and the machine control.]

3. How does the ZCorp software licensing work - do I need to make sure I have a key and setup files in case I need to re-install at some point? Will ZCorp give you the software for free if you own one of their printers? I would hate to end up with a printer that needs $$ worth of software.

Thanks,
    Adam
    [Z-corp isn't in business any more. Their assets were bought by 3D Systems, which incorporated some of their IP in their current ProJet lineup. Zcorp used to be fairly friendly about license transfers and didn't enforce a re-licensing fee for the software, but I don't know what the 3DS policies are on that, or if they even have the software available for legacy machines like yours.]

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking the printer would be a good all around solution to cut down on mold making labor. I mostly do prototypes and I rarely do duplicates of the same part. You may still have a point that it would be better to do traditional patterns on the CNC. Right now I am working on a new cylinder head design that has especially tough geometry that is going to be a real pain to make sand cores for with traditional pattern techniques.

Now that you mention it I remember hearing 3D Systems bought out ZCorp. I did not realize parts are not available anymore. That is too bad. They also bought out Alibre which I was pretty happy with, only to stick a dumb name on it, take away features and double the price....

I'm going to call them in the morning to see if they can tell me anything about the software and if they support it in anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads

There are people who can make sand molds and cores using a technique similar to the Z-corp process. Look up Hoosier Pattern for one: Sand Printer | Hoosier Pattern Inc.

Good luck on the parts...

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]