Romaxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romaxx

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Romaxx

I received my Romaxx HS1 CNC router today. I have not found much info on the forum about the Romaxx. Thought I would post my experience so far with Romaxx as someone that is completely new to the world of CNC. I have no ties to Romaxx other than being a customer. Please try and over look my spelling and grammar.

I will be running Mach3 to control the machine and VcarvePro and PhotoVcarve.

First thing was the box. Romaxx knows how to ship equipment they enclosed the machine in a plywood crate. The crate was packed in a cardboard box. It came with no dints, dings and nothing loose inside. (Thank You Fedx)

After removing the bolts that secured the machine to the plywood bottom I installed the leg supports in their place. I ordered the feedback option, which required a second port in the PC. Romaxx included the PCI card to be installed in the PC with two cables that connects the PC to the machine.

I do not have the machine “moving” yet, but my first impression of the workmanship is very positive. Very solid machine for it size and well built. (Very well built)

Will update as I make progress. (And hopefully learn what I am doing )

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Romaxx-1-gif   Romaxx-2-gif   Romaxx-3-gif  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default good looking machine

looks well built.
    i noticed yesterday, that rockler pro catalog has a 14x31 machine available

it's not on thier website but the stock number was 35150,

i believe we are going to see an explosion of sales in this size router after

carvewrights exposure of cnc to the woodworker and that the machine probably will not male it in the long run (lot'ssssss of problems with long term use of the machine) and yes i have one!! i also have a 4x8 camaster

i am still hoping tha they will notice and realize the software they have created is probably where thier money is.

jim

Downloads
    Uploads

Default i just took a good look

at the website that one well figured out router for the money much better built than the one at rockler jim

Downloads
    Uploads

Default after seeing the machine

i have a 4x8 camaster and am about to embark on having another one built,

however my wife and her friends are members of the local woodturners club and they want my old carve wright compucarve it has way to many problems and while i have it in working condition i want to keep it that way, so i am thinking of the machine you got for out here at the farm and my wife

http://www.romaxxcnc.com/.

have you run machine show me some pic's whats your impression
    here site for those interested

jim

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim
    I first came across the CNCzone a few years ago and was amazed at what people had built/bought and the work they did with them. I was put off on the whole CNC idea as I thought I would never be able to pick it up. When Sears first started selling the compucarve I got interested again but for reasons you referred to I put off getting one. I was going to have only one crack at a cnc router and if it did not work out the banker (wife) would be a hard sell for another one. I purchased Vcarve pro last year to make sure I would be able to pick up that end of CNC and would be able to make something that would be more than shop vac full of sawdust. Two months of playing with it and I was committed to getting a CNC router.

The HS1 is ready to run out of the box, install your spindle hook up the cable(s) to your pc and your off. If I had known anything about Mach3 it would have taken me less then 15 minutes to have it moving.

I am very happy with the HS1. I was playing with it today trying to get me head round Mach3. It has a “massive” feel (not sure that is the correct word) for its size. Nothing on this machine makes you think it was an afterthought or add on to correct a design error or gives you the impression it was put together by someone that has a cut off saw and a big hammer and wants to make quick buck.

I was running it at 60 ipm today, (Ron provides conf files for 60,100,300 and 1200ipm. Nice touch for people like me that know zip about Mach3 and changing the configuration) I have it setting on a large table and it did not move. After I get more confidence in setting up with the correct work offsets will try 100 or 300.

When I created the part in Vcarve and loaded it into Mach3 I was also getting a bunch of circles with the part I loaded, had no idea why. Quick email to Ron and an even quicker reply and problem solved. Nice to have this type of customer service. (on a Saturday even)

And the old man learned a few things today.

1. The big red stop button is there for a reason. I drove the bit to the table. No real damage, the router was not powered on and I had it “loose” fit in the mount, (know idea those steppers had so much power)

2. I now know what people mean when they say, “cut air” first. The picture of the scrap MDF with the word "Anything“ on it had a burn hole on the end. Seems I have a problem comprehending + and – on the Z axis. (Yep, that big red STOP button sure comes in handy)
    3. Be sure to remember what bit I use in Vcarve and try and mount same in router. (CNC With Romaxx) plus take your time to line up you scrap board with your axis.

I think I’m going to like this CNC stuff.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Romaxx-1-gif   Romaxx-2-gif   Romaxx-4-gif   Romaxx-5-gif  

Romaxx-6-gif   Romaxx-7-gif  
    Last edited by lovebugjunkie; 01-12-2008 at 11:08 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default that is the

strongest looking unit i have seen in that size machine

off to bed here back in the am est
    jim

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Lovebugjunkie,

I see you have purchased one of the finest CNC routers available! I have studied that machine a lot and have emailed with the owner of the company so I am aware of the machine and the owner.

You hit the nail on the head with the comment about the cutoff saw and a hammer. My background is larger, metal cutting/grinding CNC machine tools, so that is my basis of comparison for all these small scale CNC machines. The more you look at the machine and its design, the more you realize it isn't the typical pile of parts you see from other router designers. Between the bigger, low cost router mfgs, and the guys that think they can sell an MDF router, they have done a remarkable job of giving CNC a bad name. It surely looks to me like most other mfgs. looked only at cost during design - make it cheap.

The Romaxx machine is at the opposite end of the spectrum when compared to all the other routers out there. Ron, the owner of Romaxx, did a truly remarkable job of designing, building, and bringing it to market at the price he is. When quality is factored in, there isn't a better value machine on the market.

It looks like your off to a good start with your entry into CNC routing - trust me, you are going to have a LOT OF FUN!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by lovebugjunkie View Post
    Jim
    I first came across the CNCzone a few years ago and was amazed at what people had built/bought and the work they did with them. I was put off on the whole CNC idea as I thought I would never be able to pick it up. When Sears first started selling the compucarve I got interested again but for reasons you referred to I put off getting one. I was going to have only one crack at a cnc router and if it did not work out the banker (wife) would be a hard sell for another one. I purchased Vcarve pro last year to make sure I would be able to pick up that end of CNC and would be able to make something that would be more than shop vac full of sawdust. Two months of playing with it and I was committed to getting a CNC router.

The HS1 is ready to run out of the box, install your spindle hook up the cable(s) to your pc and your off. If I had known anything about Mach3 it would have taken me less then 15 minutes to have it moving.

I am very happy with the HS1. I was playing with it today trying to get me head round Mach3. It has a “massive” feel (not sure that is the correct word) for its size. Nothing on this machine makes you think it was an afterthought or add on to correct a design error or gives you the impression it was put together by someone that has a cut off saw and a big hammer and wants to make quick buck.

I was running it at 60 ipm today, (Ron provides conf files for 60,100,300 and 1200ipm. Nice touch for people like me that know zip about Mach3 and changing the configuration) I have it setting on a large table and it did not move. After I get more confidence in setting up with the correct work offsets will try 100 or 300.

When I created the part in Vcarve and loaded it into Mach3 I was also getting a bunch of circles with the part I loaded, had no idea why. Quick email to Ron and an even quicker reply and problem solved. Nice to have this type of customer service. (on a Saturday even)

And the old man learned a few things today.

1. The big red stop button is there for a reason. I drove the bit to the table. No real damage, the router was not powered on and I had it “loose” fit in the mount, (know idea those steppers had so much power)

2. I now know what people mean when they say, “cut air” first. The picture of the scrap MDF with the word "Anything“ on it had a burn hole on the end. Seems I have a problem comprehending + and – on the Z axis. (Yep, that big red STOP button sure comes in handy)
    3. Be sure to remember what bit I use in Vcarve and try and mount same in router. (CNC With Romaxx) plus take your time to line up you scrap board with your axis.

I think I’m going to like this CNC stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default lets see some work

photos and reviews!!!! jim

Downloads
    Uploads

Got around to playing with the router today. Cut a piece of corian. The wife wanted something to put under the coffee maker to make it easy to pull from back of the countrer. Put 2 small “Hot Coffee” engravings on it that was in a Vector Art collection I have.

I cut it too deep and need to space a little more between letters. I have to get use to working with .00 - .000 place measurements. Looks like its time to hunt up some very small dia engraving bits.

I like the accuracy of the HS1. I think I re-homed it 3 or 4 times after starting the test engraving on MDF. I made depth changes in VcarvePro and reloaded the file back to Mach3. Each time it started cutting the updated file spot on where it started before. Have I said yet that I like the Romaxx.

Also had a chance to see how the mini Clear Vue cyclone works with a shop vac when used with 3 inch PVC and two different diameter size hoses. (I did not expect it to work very well)

I wanted something to support the vac hoses so I picked up some 3in PVC. Was going to run the hose from the router to the mini cycles via the pvc but thought I would see if the pvc would work as part of the connection. (I’m cheap and already had the shop vac hose laying around).

Cut 2 hose adaptors from MDF to fit the opening of the PVC with a hole in center to fit the hose and a plug to put in the base of the PVC. I wanted to keep the hose going to the router small so was not sure how going from 1.5 inch hose to 3 inch pvc then to 2.5 inch hose to the cyclone would work. Hose from cyclone to shop vac is 2.5 inch.

Still have to clean up the supports and make a dust shoe to mount on the router but found it works really well. After dong the test engravings in MDF and cutting the corian I only had a very light mist of very fine corian dust in the shop vac. The bucket under the cyclone had 98-99% + of what was vac’ed up.

Chris
    Have to agree with you on all points on the Romaxx. I almost went with another machine with a bigger cutting area but had a much bigger price. I called the other company to ask a few basic questions. The person that handled the sales was not in so I ask the person who answered the phone. Nice enough guy but considering the questions I ask (I don’t know much) I was…..how shall I say…..amazed at his answer.. (Considering what he said his position in that company was) Looking back on it I am very happy going with Romaxx. If I ever do find I need a bigger cutting area maybe by then Ron will have a HS1 big brother going out the door. So far I do not see me needing more.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Romaxx-1-gif   Romaxx-2-gif   Romaxx-3-gif   Romaxx-4-gif  

Romaxx-5-gif   Romaxx-23-gif  
    Last edited by lovebugjunkie; 01-19-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default what bit

did you use looks like 1/16 or 1/8" end mill

made some headway with mine and am ordering another for the commercial
    end of business i am going to talk to romaxx on monday

jim

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Romaxx-img_0691-jpg   Romaxx-img_0695-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim

Yes the handle/board and cut to catch water was cut out using a 1/8 straight .
    (I messed up the cuts when I tried to take off the sharp edge with a hand sanding block.)

The "Hot Coffee" was done with one of the v-bits (60 degree I think) that came with the starter set from Centurion Tools.

Saw your web site.....Very nice work. I have seen what I thought was upper end woodwork in some high end houses that I put in phone systems for a contractor friend. Your work puts them to shame.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default we work

with guys like yourself who wire home cat 5 systems we do the theater cabinetry thank you for the compliment i try to stay grateful to the guys who work with me. i am new to cnc bought a carvewright in june and camaster in late november so i am happy to watch us all jim

i got bunches of corian/solid surface pieces in off fall where do you get yours

is controller cable in line so as to allow for a printer to be attached why two ports or is it a hand held controller
    jim

Last edited by cabnet636; 01-20-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I picked up the corian on Ebay, guy was selling 12 (13.5 x 11.3/4 inch) for around $45-50 Its ¼ inch thick . (no idea if that was a good price or not)

I have done a little looking in the Houston area but so far just came up with some people that wanted to sell me their old counter top that they remove for way too much money for my use. Going to try and see if I can find installer in the Houston that will sell me some of his waste.

The extra cable is for the “Closed Loop” upgrade that Ron sells. He also sends the PCI card to put in the pc with it. Not sure if the MPG also uses it. Card comes with a driver CD to install on the pc, don’t over look it like I did. (Had to make a mad dash to the trash bin) beat the trash pickup guys by about 15 minutes.

I almost bypassed on the cast aluminum plate table, sure glad I did not. The predrilled ¼ x 20 threaded holes come in real handy.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone interested in a good/efficient cyclone check out Bill's website on dust collection. He doesn't just talk about chip collection but fine harmful dust that is usually just blown around your shop.
    http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Downloads
    Uploads

Default i used to chuck

a lot of offall solid surface but after seeing your work i will probably carve in it

you also can find your local importer of metals (copper, stainless sheets and aluminimum) the pallets that some metals come from asia sometimes are mohogany and some great pieces and parts can be found this way

jim mcgrew

Last edited by cabnet636; 01-23-2008 at 05:27 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

He said he had a clear vue, clear vue = bill pentz.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
    clear vue = bill pentz.
    Not really. ClearVue licences the design from Bill Pentz, but it's not Bill's company. Unless that's basically what you meant to say.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool

clear vue touts bill pentz left and right and its long been information on bill pentz's personal website that they use some of his work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
    clear vue = bill pentz.
    that's not a bad thing either aslong as they don't rest on bill's laurels

Back to the Romaxx, or atleast the most effective way to attach a cyclone dust collector with 6" piping to a Romaxx. LoL!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Glad to see your review on the Romaxx machine. I am really close to pulling the trigger on my first CNC machine and really like the looks of the Romaxx unit. It is just too small for my needs. However, after emailing Ron he said a larger machine is in the works which would suit my needs to a T.

On another topic, I have the Clear0vue mini cuyclone AND the 8' high MAX system in my shop. They are both simply outstanding tools that I would highly recommend!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast