Don't Waste your time and money on a Carvewright or Compucarve!!! - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't Waste your time and money on a Carvewright or Compucarve!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Ratissea View Post
    Bad reviews on the CompuCarve/CarveWright. It's time to look at what is now being said about the new Version C machine:

Older A & B models can also be upgraded to the new CarveTight Spindle.
    I still see very recent posts about how bad these CarveWright and Compucarve machines are. Just take a look at Amazon.com to see the real story about recent models. Then check out the BBB.

There are way better products on the market that will save you hours of frustration and hundreds of $. If the C machine is so great why dont they upgrade all the A&B machines free of charge ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CarveWright Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by sfxphil View Post
    I still see very recent posts about how bad these CarveWright and Compucarve machines are. Just take a look at Amazon.com to see the real story about recent models. Then check out the BBB.

There are way better products on the market that will save you hours of frustration and hundreds of $. If the C machine is so great why dont they upgrade all the A&B machines free of charge ?
    No doubt there were unhappy customers with the old Quick Change Chuck and we can still not please everyone, but look at those reviews. Look at the dates on most of them or look at recent posts that make references such as "I bought mine two years ago", "I was a beta tester", etc. Even on BBB, out of 24 complaints since 2008, only two are from 2011 and my guess is they are referring to an older model, not the new version C.

I have been in Marketing & Sales for the CW, since 2008. I started working very closely with the Customer Service Department a little over a year ago, because I got tired of hearing negative comments from our customers about our customer support. As of June 2011, I became the Customer Service Supervisor and, while we are still not flawless, I guarantee there has been change for the better.

There were problems in the past and improvements have been made with the new Version C. We continue to improve the machine and add to the capabilities of the software (which is fantastic and desired by many!). We have many tools that have been put in place over the last couple of years to assist the customer in learning how to properly use the system and to be successful including videos, Step-by-Step Design projects, user groups and training classes throughout the US and some in Canada.

There will always be some unsatisfied customers, as with any sophisticated machine, no matter what we do and they WILL post their frustrations. If you read between the lines you would see these were usually the ones that didn't take the necessary time to learn how to properly maintain or use the system. Sometimes the worst offenders are those that say "I've been doing woodworking for 35 years" or "I'm an engineer" and they don't learn that this machine is not like any other tool you have in your shop. You can't just throw a board in and hit "go".

You must properly educate yourself on how THIS machine works. Others were not properly educated about what they were buying. I've heard the stories of customers having to tell the salesman what the machine was, because the salesman they are buying it from didn't even know they sold it.

Was LHR faultless throughout the last 5 years? No, absolutely not. We went to market to soon and we sold it through salesmen that didn't know what it did, we didn't have the tools in place to properly educate customers or support them. We have grown as a company and addressed those issues.

The CW is not a machine that is meant for everyone, nor is it a replacement for the big commercial CNC's. That is not what the CW does, but what it does do is pretty spectacular! It also does it better and faster and less expensive. AND there are MANY MANY happy CW customers out there, otherwise LHR wouldn't still be in business. We had some "kinks" to work out and we've done that.

So, individuals that had a CarveWright or CompuCarve two or three years ago or who had a bad experience in the past, I'm sure you will chime in here with your comments. For those of you looking for an affordable desktop sized CNC carving system with some of the most sought after high-tech, full-featured software out there, that has and can produce more than my little brain ever imagined it could, it's time for another look!

Sales & Marketing Manager for LHR Technologies, the makers of CarveWright.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Ratissea View Post
    No doubt there were unhappy customers with the old Quick Change Chuck and we can still not please everyone, but look at those reviews. Look at the dates on most of them or look at recent posts that make references such as "I bought mine two years ago", "I was a beta tester", etc. Even on BBB, out of 24 complaints since 2008, only two are from 2011 and my guess is they are referring to an older model, not the new version C.

I have been in Marketing & Sales for the CW, since 2008. I started working very closely with the Customer Service Department a little over a year ago, because I got tired of hearing negative comments from our customers about our customer support. As of June 2011, I became the Customer Service Supervisor and, while we are still not flawless, I guarantee there has been change for the better.

There were problems in the past and improvements have been made with the new Version C. We continue to improve the machine and add to the capabilities of the software (which is fantastic and desired by many!). We have many tools that have been put in place over the last couple of years to assist the customer in learning how to properly use the system and to be successful including videos, Step-by-Step Design projects, user groups and training classes throughout the US and some in Canada.

There will always be some unsatisfied customers, as with any sophisticated machine, no matter what we do and they WILL post their frustrations. If you read between the lines you would see these were usually the ones that didn't take the necessary time to learn how to properly maintain or use the system. Sometimes the worst offenders are those that say "I've been doing woodworking for 35 years" or "I'm an engineer" and they don't learn that this machine is not like any other tool you have in your shop. You can't just throw a board in and hit "go".

You must properly educate yourself on how THIS machine works. Others were not properly educated about what they were buying. I've heard the stories of customers having to tell the salesman what the machine was, because the salesman they are buying it from didn't even know they sold it.

Was LHR faultless throughout the last 5 years? No, absolutely not. We went to market to soon and we sold it through salesmen that didn't know what it did, we didn't have the tools in place to properly educate customers or support them. We have grown as a company and addressed those issues.

The CW is not a machine that is meant for everyone, nor is it a replacement for the big commercial CNC's. That is not what the CW does, but what it does do is pretty spectacular! It also does it better and faster and less expensive. AND there are MANY MANY happy CW customers out there, otherwise LHR wouldn't still be in business. We had some "kinks" to work out and we've done that.

So, individuals that had a CarveWright or CompuCarve two or three years ago or who had a bad experience in the past, I'm sure you will chime in here with your comments. For those of you looking for an affordable desktop sized CNC carving system with some of the most sought after high-tech, full-featured software out there, that has and can produce more than my little brain ever imagined it could, it's time for another look!
    i gotta admit i admire your efforts and a general recall and replacement of the highly flawed quick chucks would go a long way towards Carvewright making things right... learning cnc is not easy and i agree there are a plenty owners who though it really was plug and play, carvewright did over sell it self in the beginning and a plenty of us jumped at the opportunity, other than the (well known) defective hardware the learning curve really was my fault.

James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cabnet636 View Post
    i gotta admit i admire your efforts and a general recall and replacement of the highly flawed quick chucks would go a long way towards Carvewright making things right... learning cnc is not easy and i agree there are a plenty owners who though it really was plug and play, carvewright did over sell it self in the beginning and a plenty of us jumped at the opportunity, other than the (well known) defective hardware the learning curve really was my fault.
    Well, thank you, Mr. McGrew. That means a lot. I'm glad you pulled your old A model CompuCarve out of the barn and hope you get it upgraded soon, so that you too can become a Carvoholic! (Definition of a Carvoholic: Someone that won't stop carving long enough to fix himself a drink!)

I would love to give everyone a free CarveTight spindle, but I want to keep my job AND stay in business for all of the HAPPY CW customers. LHR did make the new CarveTight Spindle, so that owners of the older A or B models could add it onto their machines.

With any quick chuck, even those that cost WAY more than our does, if you get a piece of debris or don't put the bit in just right, you ARE going to have problems with that chuck. We have many customers that are still using the QC successfully. The problem is that it only takes ONE TIME for a bit to be misplaced or a chip to get in there and then you will quickly see a degradation in the performance of that chuck. The bit adapters also get damaged (bb marks) in a bad chuck and if you stick that bad adapter into a new QC, you destroy it, too.

Check out the STEP-BY-STEP DESIGN PROJECTS under the Project Designer Tutorials in the LearningLab and there is now 3 1/2 years of Tips & Tricks that will also help make you more successful this go round.

Connie

Downloads
    Uploads

in a small way carvewright is lucky they have no been invited to a class action recall lawsuit, it would not take much to make that happen and would be better for all if they would just own it,, think of how many machines sitting in the back of the gararge that will get the cobwebs scraped off it that were to happen !! yep mine is out and set up gotta head cold and will try to get out this weekend and fiddle with it a bit more

as for the carving, carvewright is kinda responsible for that too !!! my wife wonders if rehab is possibble !!

here is a recent woodshopnews article on the work page 38

http://www.flashedition.com/publication/?i=75767

all of these were carved on a 3 axis 508 x3 camaster cnc machine. the cherry king on the rotary

panelusion** innovative architectural panel applications - home

James McGrew 3d Carving and CNC - Home

JamesMcGrewCabinetmakers - Home Page

it ain't been a cheap hobby and i directly blame carvewright for that (actually i am greatfull) thanks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Don't Waste your time and money on a Carvewright or Compucarve!!!-collages2-jpg   Don't Waste your time and money on a Carvewright or Compucarve!!!-img_4778-jpg   Don't Waste your time and money on a Carvewright or Compucarve!!!-img_6459-jpg  
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cabnet636 View Post
    in a small way carvewright is lucky they have no been invited to a class action recall lawsuit, it would not take much to make that happen and would be better for all if they would just own it,, think of how many machines sitting in the back of the gararge that will get the cobwebs scraped off it that were to happen !! yep mine is out and set up gotta head cold and will try to get out this weekend and fiddle with it a bit more

as for the carving, carvewright is kinda responsible for that too !!! my wife wonders if rehab is possibble !!

all of these were carved on a 3 axis 508 x3 camaster cnc machine. the cherry king on the rotary

panelusion** innovative architectural panel applications - home

James McGrew 3d Carving and CNC - Home

JamesMcGrewCabinetmakers - Home Page

it ain't been a cheap hobby and i directly blame carvewright for that (actually i am greatfull) thanks

Your work is awesome, James, and I know you have a little soft spot in your heart for the CarveWright. I look forward to talking to you on the phone, as we get those "cobwebs" off your machine. Someday, that camaster and compucarve might grow fond of one another, too! We might just work really well together.

Have a good weekend!
    Connie

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    And whatever you do, don't buy a used one. If you buy used, you get no warranty whatsoever and you can't even buy extended warranty.

Reason I say this is because I was looking at a used one.

Wade
    Bought my carvewright used with 20hrs on it. Gentleman swore it was junk and was worthless and never worked. Read all the horrible reviews online and heard all the horror stories. Bought it any way. Never had a single problem with it, even my first carve was perfect. Wasnt until about 70hrs did the psupply die. Hotwired in an old laptop psupply which has worked fine. Cost me nothing (cw wants 200 for theirs). Pushing over 200hrs now and have raplaced a ribbon cable and 2 roller bearings since cost 60bucks. I use my machine often and its abused and never maintained. Dont have a dc on it, never clean it and greased screws once in its life lol. I paid 500 bucks and make money with it daily. Its paid for itself 1000 times over. It owes me nothing. The biggest mistake cw ever did was make a piece of complex computer equipment then sell it in sears marketing it to an old demographic of retired handy dandies with zero computer or technological experience what so ever. Yes they break, everything does especially cncs. Its not perfect machine its finicky as hell and the controller software is herrendouse. The plausability check at the beginning of each carve is the dumbest thing ive ever seen. But it works and can do some really cool stuff albeit slowly. Like having an employee that never complains or wants a payroll check lol. If your not comfortable taking this machine apart and raplacing bolt in parts without calling cs to hold your hand and wipe the tears off your cheek then forget about it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Don't Waste your time and money on a Carvewright or Compucarve!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gbrlbll View Post
    Bought my carvewright used with 20hrs on it. Gentleman swore it was junk and was worthless and never worked. Read all the horrible reviews online and heard all the horror stories. Bought it any way. Never had a single problem with it, even my first carve was perfect. Wasnt until about 70hrs did the psupply die. Hotwired in an old laptop psupply which has worked fine. Cost me nothing (cw wants 200 for theirs). Pushing over 200hrs now and have raplaced a ribbon cable and 2 roller bearings since cost 60bucks. I use my machine often and its abused and never maintained. Dont have a dc on it, never clean it and greased screws once in its life lol. I paid 500 bucks and make money with it daily. Its paid for itself 1000 times over. It owes me nothing. The biggest mistake cw ever did was make a piece of complex computer equipment then sell it in sears marketing it to an old demographic of retired handy dandies with zero computer or technological experience what so ever. Yes they break, everything does especially cncs. Its not perfect machine its finicky as hell and the controller software is herrendouse. The plausability check at the beginning of each carve is the dumbest thing ive ever seen. But it works and can do some really cool stuff albeit slowly. Like having an employee that never complains or wants a payroll check lol. If your not comfortable taking this machine apart and raplacing bolt in parts without calling cs to hold your hand and wipe the tears off your cheek then forget about it.
    Boy, you resurrected an old thread. Thanks, (I think...LOL). Glad you have had such success. Many are.

Connie
    CarveWright

Downloads
    Uploads

The carvewright proprietary machine is a joke period.
    The company makes their money on repairs not sales.

Downloads
    Uploads

Reviews speak for themselves carvewright not stellar revies 3/5 rating which isnt good at all...many 1 star reviews see link for proof

https://m.sears.com/product-details/p-00921754000P?partNumber=00921754000P

Fyi dont listen to anything that comes out of LHR carvewrights mouths ...they are obviously biased..listen to what carvewright customers say.

Common sense people...common sense...good products get good reviews and bad products get bad reviews

And remember one thing ..just because a product has sales does not mean its a good product..ex. .dollar store items are junk crap but they sell. And look at all the junk infomercials on tv...carvewright has great brainwashing sales tactics and their target customer are naive uninformed people

Carvewright uses outdated 20yr old technology..8mb pcmcia memory card lol...seriously?lol..8mb? And bulky proprietary pcmcia ..why not micro sd?...who makes 8mb memory cards ..even 8gb is obsolete nowadays...and guess what carvewright charges for their proprietary 8mb memory card.. $129.00 ..lol a 8gb memory card thats 1000 times more capacity retails for $4.99 lol...this alone should speak loud on LHR iand who they really are.

Last edited by Shelby5041; 04-21-2020 at 06:27 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

very poor reviews on all carvewright products its highly recommnended that you see the real reviews so you dont buy the product and get stuck with a $2k door stop.

https://www.amazon.com/CarveWright-C...ews/B00KOO4V8E

https://www.amazon.com/CarveWright-C...ews/B0042XAMSG

https://www.amazon.com/CarveWright-C...pe=all_reviews

Downloads
    Uploads

I bought one for $100.00 bucks it has been a good little machine for what it is.
    Good learning curve.
    Soon after I built a 4 ft X 4 ft CNC router machine.
    Still have the Carvewright.
    mark-s

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah for $100 lol

would you have paid 2k for the pos?

its a horrible design..it breaks down and has way too many restrictions ..reminds me of an overcontrolling mate lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12