Z height for 4th axis

Thread: Z height for 4th axis

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Z height for 4th axis

Hello friends,

Need some help getting an accurate Z height on a Laguna CNC rotary index turner. Zero is center axis.

The problem:
    the Richauto cnc controller has .5cm height adjustments, and there is no tool touch off. Laguna doesn’t make one either.

Questions:
    Is there a way to change the resolution of movements within a richauto controller?
    Is there a way to manually turn the ball screw to the correct height?
    Is there an aftermarket tool touch off that can be installed? I have a touch off from the shop Sabre

Things I’ve tried:
    Using the Southbend, turned a bar to exactly 15cm. Chuck that bar in the laguna. loosened the collet on the laguna to contact the tool, then adjust and zero 7.5cm down Problem is the collet pulls the 1/2” bit back slightly as it tightens. I could use a stop collar on the bit to prevent this, but there has to be an easier way!

Thought about making a jig to have correct height for bits with a stop collar, which would be taken off before use. Unless there are balanced collars that won’t introduce balance issues.

Thank you for your help. It surprises me that this isn’t addressed in the manual. It will be good to know the solution, as we’re getting a 12 spindle carving machine soon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z height for 4th axis-bfa4a5dc-95c9-4eb8-a314-15b944b4a201-jpg