Need Help! Reccomended tooling for boring/drilling with toolchanger machine

Thread: Reccomended tooling for boring/drilling with toolchanger machine

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Reccomended tooling for boring/drilling with toolchanger machine

I have an industrial 3 axis nesting CNC with 12 tools toolchanger with ISO30 ER32 collet with 9kW spindle

Am wondering what bits to use to quickly drill holes such as 5mm system holes, and 3mm, 6, 8mm holes for dowels in chipboard and plywood.

Do I use boring bits meant for boring machines that has a 10mm shank (D shape shank),
    Or do I use single flute end mills or other bits.
    Plus what RPM is appropriate for the bits, as the the main tool changer spindle is considerable faster than a boring block. note: I don't have a boring block.

Any ideas? thanks.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Imaginashen; 02-13-2023 at 02:09 AM. Reason: added more details

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Reccomended tooling for boring/drilling with toolchanger machine

Is there some reason you can't use drill bits? The RPM will vary depending on the diameter, but a peck drilling cycle will help them clear chips.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

So I can just normal dowel drill bits with 10mm D shanks. The shank will work with a 10mm spring collet, correct?

Downloads
    Uploads

For drilling holes in chipboard and plywood on an industrial 3 axis nesting CNC with a 12 tool tool changer with ISO30 ER32 collet and 9kW spindle, I would recommend using a combination of twist drills and router bits.

For drilling 5mm system holes, you can use a 5mm twist drill with a high-speed steel or carbide tip. For 3mm, 6mm, and 8mm holes for dowels, I would recommend using router bits with a straight or spiral flute design.

You can use a straight flute router bit for drilling precise holes and a spiral flute router bit for faster drilling speeds. Carbide tipped router bits are also recommended for their durability and long lifespan.

In terms of RPM, you will want to adjust the spindle speed based on the diameter of the bit you are using. A general rule of thumb is to use a higher RPM for smaller diameter bits and a lower RPM for larger diameter bits. You can consult the manufacturer's guidelines for recommended RPM settings for specific bits.

It's worth noting that while boring bits meant for boring machines can be used for drilling holes, they may not provide the best results on a CNC machine due to their design and shank type. It's generally better to use router bits or twist drills specifically designed for CNC machines.