Z-Zero shifting mid-process - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z-Zero shifting mid-process

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Z-Zero shifting mid-process

Sounds like a math error somewhere. First check the G code to see if that Z move is being commanded at the failure point. If not, then I'm guessing a math/calculation error in your controller firmware. Some kind of computer hardware failure is unlikely.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

I agree it's a software issue and not a mechanical one. Some things I would be looking at real close:

Where does the controller think Z 0 is before and after the failure point. Does anything affecting Z height change such as work offset, tool length, machine calibration, or ??? Keep in mind that if it is a programming glitch, options you don't have but the controller can do could also change. I would be going over the g code with a text editor with markup and doing text search for anything that can affect the above.

How big and how many lines are in each file? An example of what can happen in a coding glitch is some times referred to as a buffer over run or variable type mismatch. It happens when a larger number that the programmer intended gets written to a memory location and it's so big it changes the next one after it. Kind of like running out of space on those change of address forms. Those kinds of problems happen at specific numbers base on bit size. Example 8 bit is 256, 16 bit is 65,536.

Good luck, I would also be asking tech support on the controller for help. They should have debug tools that can look for the above problems. Also check for firmware updates and read the change logs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tjbaudio View Post
    I agree it's a software issue and not a mechanical one. Some things I would be looking at real close:

An example of what can happen in a coding glitch is some times referred to as a buffer over run or variable type mismatch. It happens when a larger number that the programmer intended gets written to a memory location and it's so big it changes the next one after it. Kind of like running out of space on those change of address forms. Those kinds of problems happen at specific numbers base on bit size. Example 8 bit is 256, 16 bit is 65,536.

Good luck, I would also be asking tech support on the controller for help. They should have debug tools that can look for the above problems. Also check for firmware updates and read the change logs.
    Many many many years I ago I was an amateur coder, buffer overruns were common and that's what's popped into my head on this problem yesterday, but we're a long way from the KIM-1 and I would think the controller can handle the two models I've been using as test cases - they're not out of the ordinary at all - just off the shelf clip art.

I think Laguna is considering loaning me a temporary controller as a test. They're looking at the .crv files now. I've already inquired about firmware diagnostics and I think that's what prompted the notion of controller swap back at HQ.

Its RichAuto A11 hand controller.

BTW, this whole thing makes me feel like the Car Talk caller who calls in about an immobile Toyota and after 15 minutes of mystery finally discloses to the guys that the parking brake handle broke off. I'm just waiting to find out what dumb thing I did that I never mentioned. So ... we did have a power outage right around the time these shenanigans' started and maybe some portion of a logic board got toasted (?). The machine was powered up but not running when the mains went down and was in a main switch on condition when the mains came back up. Our quality of service isn't too good out here in the woods and I've started thinking about how a 220v buffer might work because of this. This is only piece of shop equipment I have that's not necessarily off when its off. If I blew the controller so be it - I'm ready to fork over the $500 and move on.

Downloads
    Uploads

I doubt the power-failure did any real damage. Usually those kinds of failures are more catastrophic. It could have caused some corruption of the firmware. I would consider an update or fresh flash. Just make sure you take a backup of your machine settings and configuration. Best to take one of those before and after any major changes.

I did a little reading on that unit. It seams easy to brick if you botch the update or lose your config.

Downloads
    Uploads

The issue was resolved with a firmware update.

The firmware version was q13-1213. Laguna sent the most recent firmware q13-1292.

I ran the two test jobs this weekend and both ran as programmed.

Thanks to the group for sticking with this and being responsive to my pleading - I really appreciate the help throughout.

I'm not sure if you've figured this out yet. I had the same problem while running a roughing toolpath when I first got the Laguna Swift a few years ago. Turned out My speed was too high.

I was running a program with about 100 identical parts in 6 rows across the bed. the further back it went, the deeper it got. I slowed the feed down to about 100 inches/minute max and hasn't been an issue since.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12