Newbie Looking for a 5000$ precision CNC router HELP

Thread: Looking for a 5000$ precision CNC router HELP

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Looking for a 5000$ precision CNC router HELP

I am looking for a CNC router for precision millings of Epoxy, Foam, Carbon fiber, and Wood at 5000$ without electronics.
    Would it be possible to have a ball bearings screws and linear rails CNC at a budget of 5000$?

Expected dimensions
    x axis 1000>mm
    y axis 1000>mm
    z axis 200>=mm

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for a 5000$ precision CNC router HELP

$5000USD ? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Define Precision.

Are you looking for a kit, or an assembled machine?

I'm not really aware of any small ballscrew machines. XZero used to make them, but are no longer in business.

Possibly an imported Chinese machine,but I don't know if you can get them without electronics.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

0.01mm would be perfect for my application.

Kits

I saw XZero machines and I really like them, and as you said out of business.

Any Chinese machines that you know are good enough?

Downloads
    Uploads

Those materials themselves aren't capable of holding super-tight tolerances (wood is hygroscopic, and most of the other materials listed have grain sizes that can be in excess of 0.001"); so I'm going to presume that "precision" in this context means in the neighborhood of +- 0.001"... (er... 0.025mm)

If you DIY the machine frame; then yes, you can get the requisite components (excluding spindle, motors; drivers; and a control) at that size for under that price point. They will be Chinese parts, but they are available and will perform the desired task as indicated in the original post.

If you do decide to DIY such a machine; because of the desired dimensions, be sure that you don't under-size the ballscrews - you don't want them to start whipping during a rapid move.

I haven't looked for a fully assembled machine of that size recently, so I can't say if a frame is available with the desired attributes pre-built at the desired price point (however, I would tend to suspect the answer is "yes").

Downloads
    Uploads

If you really need to machine carbon fiber, save some money in your budget for bellows, since the abrasive dust from cutting it will destroy your expensive precision ball screws and slides (not to mention your lungs.)

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Seeds - Your going to have to be very thoughtful and knowledgeable to achieve 0.01mm accuracy. Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Define Precision.

I'm not really aware of any small ballscrew machines. XZero used to make them, but are no longer in business.
    The ones in that size he wants were more like 10k all in. They would be a lot more to re run now too.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Seeds - Your going to have to be very thoughtful and knowledgeable to achieve 0.01mm accuracy. Peter
    Rather easy, over a distance of 100mm ;-)

If 0.01mm is required all over travel distances (i.e. XYZ), then might be worth looking at X10(min.) the initial investment (50k) :/

Downloads
    Uploads

Generally when people say they want 0.01mm.... they don't have a clue what they really need.

Over 1 metre, you aren't finding a machine that will hold that under half a mil. Even 0.001" (0.025mm) over 1M would not get many guarantees under 100k. You need linear scales for that, and active temperature.

Realistically, on an xzero demom (which is as mentioned over his price even if it was available) you will get a linear precision of about 0.002" and a repeatability of about 0.0003" (backlash in the drive system). Squareness of the machine when set up properly would be in the 0.001" over 6" range, and out by as much as 0.005" end to end as the base frame is extrusions and thats all they are guaranteed for straightness.

That machine is about the "best" you'll find on any larger router under $10000.

*my* personal xzero predator is much more precise and would hold better than 0.002" anywhere on the table and repeat to 0.0002" as it has no extrusions and runs higher end ball screws. But it is also smaller at 400x740mm travel, and substantially more money (15k us range for frame with no motors, electronics or spindle)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    Generally when people say they want 0.01mm.... they don't have a clue what they really need.
    I get/got your point ;-)

With that budget you are pretty much limited to an Asian import. Needless to add; if you do press-on with that sort of machine, you can call +/-0.05mm over 1000mm(1m) a highly precise machine-tool and rather unusual. I'm not talking about an unloaded ballscrew left-to-right accuracy measurement, I'm taking about measuring/inspecting that final cut when that machine has 3~6 months usage (prod). Those machines aren't engineered in any way (e.g. random material selection, no stress & strain curves avail, no linear/non-linear analysis nor reinforcements, nothing, nada, etc). Just a huge pile of what one could call metals joined together with 8.8 grade machine screws and driven by locally sourced hardware and electronics. But you are possibly already aware of that.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with procuring one of those, all depending on your drawings & their tol really. However as one other member mentioned, if you are hoping to gear up for "precision" you will need to be extremely creative and smart to bring it to where you are half-satisfied. That may take you long hours, weeks, months... every machines are different, so consider this into your entry price. (hence why I've proposed to just upgrade that budget a bit and get a machine you'll be able to keep for 10~20 years).

To The Cuts! G'luck

Downloads
    Uploads

You need linear scales for that, and active temperature.
    And active climate control of the facility, not just the machine - both temperature, and humidity. Since his materials list includes wood... and wood will warp if you look at it funny... yeah...

That may take you long hours, weeks, months...
    In the process you will learn lots about structures; materials; electronics; computers; control systems & feedback loops; and a bunch of other esoterica... whether you want to or not. Oh; and don't forget all the wonderful tools you'll end up with! You'll probably end up with an upgrade to your digital multi-meter; and then there's the oscilloscope (fortunately, prices on those are way down from what they used to be); you might want a variable bench power supply; you'll definitely want to grab at least one tenths-reading dial indicator; and a test indicator isn't a bad idea either; you'll want some precision squares, straight-edges, a gauge-block set and a decent granite surface plate; a height gauge isn't a bad idea; and of course, a precision machinist's level.

Now... would I trade all that for a machine that just worked out-of-the-box? Oddly, no... but; I'm in it for the journey as much as the destination. Somebody else may well have totally different priorities... and that's OK - takes all kinds, ya know?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by __Britt View Post
    and then there's the oscilloscope (fortunately, prices on those are way down from what they used to be)
    I love scopes so much I have two. One beautiful blown-up-and-burnt one and a brand new and functional one! You know... rather important to isolate your circuit before measuring current with that 1x probe & gnd fixed on a shunt!

ps: I do have Asian imports, 4 in fact. Two small ones at home and two at the bigger shop. The amount of time, tools, resources and money doshed in to patch them up to a half-functional level was absolutely phenomenal when you think about it. It is what it is I guess. Takes all kind indeed... some learn harder than others ;-)

I'm selling an Xzero in excellent condition under your budget. Sent you a PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dasilvaboards View Post
    I'm selling an Xzero in excellent condition under your budget. Sent you a PM.
    yours is smaller than he wants, but it might be his best bet if he can do with the narrow width..if yours a newer model with the custom extrusions?

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    yours is smaller than he wants, but it might be his best bet if he can do with the narrow width..if yours a newer model with the custom extrusions?
    Yep, upgraded high quality ballscrews too. It's a great machine, served me very well! just doesn't get used at all anymore as most of my current work is larger than the machine envelope.