Problem Is this a motor stall, skipped steps, or something else?

Thread: Is this a motor stall, skipped steps, or something else?

Post Is this a motor stall, skipped steps, or something else?

Just received a new machine, Omio X8-2200L, and am running into an issue on both the X and Y axis.

During the cut (in softwood, .125 DOC, 1/4in 2 flute endmill, 100in/min feed, 12000rpm, nothing crazy or tough) I’ve now had both axis (separate occasions) suddenly stop for a moment, make a screeching noise, then continue, but the rest of the cut is off, this last time by about 1 inch, and when I stop the job and home the machine, the home is also off by an inch on the axis that stalled.

It is pretty obvious that the machine thinks it is traveling during that time it is screeching, so the cut / home then becomes off by however far it thought it traveled, and it looses track of where it is.

Do not believe it is an issue with load, as the Y axis issue occurred while it was traveling during a job, under no load. The X issue did occur during actual cutting, but the feeds and speeds being used were from my belt driven hobby machine so should be SUPER conservative for what this machine is supposed to be.

So I’m trying to get a handle on what this issue is called so I know where to dig in here, google the correct terminology, and start troubleshooting.

I’m doubting I’ll get much from Omio now that they have my money, sooo it will be up to me I’m sure.

Would you guys consider this a stall? Skipped steps? Slippage? Should I be looking at motor tuning stuff or a mechanical issue.