Can't Machine a Simple Circle with a Probotix Fireball - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Can't Machine a Simple Circle with a Probotix Fireball

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Can't Machine a Simple Circle with a Probotix Fireball

Quote Originally Posted by he1957 View Post
    Looks like one of the drive shafts is moving/sliding. If the Y is top/bottom then look at Y. Your backlash test may not be exerting enough pressure to show it. Try using RCaffins RTZ (ReturnToZero) loop to test it in a repeating fashion and at a moderate velocity. Put a pause between direction changes to allow time to see the DTI. The idea is to move quickly and stop suddenly then change direction.
    Thanks, I'll try that. It's still weird how the non-concentricity of the ID and OD is consistent, though. Maybe a setting somewhere?

Downloads
    Uploads

It looks mechanically off center (in one axis by the look of the image). Whatever is moving (that shouldn't) doesn't always move but does. How many times were those circles drawn?

Draw a third and fourth circle with proportionally larger diameters using the same centre and see if the offset(ness) are proportional.

Try drawing a square repeatedly (say) 5 times over itself, then move it by 5mm in X and Y, repeating to cover 4 quadrants - maybe that might help identify but guessing Y shaft.

If the machine has Acme Lead Screws, check the one on the right, if it has a split brass nut it might be the split section is fractured.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Been off the air for a few days. The HUGE tree on the phone line has now been removed.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

UPDATE: Now that I've had some relief from 12-hour workdays, I have had time to do some research on the possible causes of my problems with machining using the Fireball with the Planet CNC Mk.1 controller.

I reset the controller and reinstalled the Probotix settings file. Tested by cutting circles, squares, and zig-zag patterns, but really no change. Checked connections again to make sure that the stepping motors were getting power. Looked good there. Took a program written in Vectric Cut 2D, used the G code and put it through simulation on a HURCO at work. No problems.

So, I've taken the frame work completely apart and inspected everything for cracks, warpage, bending, etc., and put it back together. Cleaned all electrical contacts, ran system checkup on my dedicated PC, and fired it up again. Same problem. It started out not as bad, but has progressed to where X and Y axes are 'drifting' further than before. I believe unshielded cables, and having too many devices connected to the same power strip must be part of some kind problem, but unlikely the root cause.

With Christmas just a couple of days away, I'm going to look at getting either a new USB connectable controller, or splurge and get a more sturdy build altogether. This was NOT meant to be another hobby unto itself, but as a means to support the hobbies which I already have. I'm moving my workspace around to a different spot in the basement, so that's the entire holiday vacation right there.

My sincere thanks to the folks replying to this thread. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year.

Joe

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234