Newbie Dazed and overwhelmed

Thread: Dazed and overwhelmed

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dazed and overwhelmed

I have decided to use a CNC router for my composite mold and plug making.. and if possible for my other
    endeavors. (very light aluminum machining) and metal casting.
    I have some familiarity with autodesk inventor and would probably use their cad ware
    At the beginning most of my work would be in foam or wood.
    I would like to work up to dimensions of 4 or 5 ft in length perhaps 3 ft in width. that would all be in foam
    or wood. If I could get a 4th axis it would be a huge plus.
    I realize that there would probably be a lot of finish work after the part is formed but that is not a burden.
    My budget would be in the 7000 to $10,000 range.

I was thinking of getting a less expensive machine (a chinese 6040) to learn my way.
    Then again it would quickly run out the capacity I need. If I did that I would donate the old machine to
    a local community college for their composite program..

I could "assemble" a kit but would rather not design and build my own unit from scratch.

I've read a number of reviews and recommendations on this and other sights. and realize this sort of question has been asked a number of time.
    If anyone has used a router for this sort of work any and all suggestions would be welcome.
    I am willing to consider any machines manufacture here or abroad.....
    I have read a number of times that support is important I appreciate everyone here for their pleasant and tolerant attitude towards us that are new to the endeavor
    Joe

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dazed and overwhelmed

As I'm looking I have thought most about a chinese 6090 type machine.. any alternative thoughts?'
    thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

A CNC Router Parts Pro series machine will be the most affordable in the size you need. You can probably get a 4x8 for about $10k.

I wouldn't really bother buying a smaller machine to learn with.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

I was in a similar situation, and finally decided that if I just bought a cheaper Chinese machine, at least i would have all the moving parts assembled, and I would be able to more quickly get the machine cutting. I would be able to spend my time learning how to make the machine cut what I want, instead of learning how to build the machine.

I found a supplier in Chicago that has Chinese machines in stock. I bought a KL-6090 from Automation Technology and I have been happy with it so far. There was a wiring issue that wasn't hard to figure out, and one issue where the Y axis nut was rubbing on the bottom of the table. My grinder fixed that issue easily enough. I feel that if I had gone with a kit, I might still be building the silly thing instead of actually producing something.

The way I look at it, for the price of the complete Chinese machine, a person can practically strip the electronics and replace with higher quality hardware and still come out money ahead.