Need Help! Seeking advice on making specific extrusion set more ridid

Thread: Seeking advice on making specific extrusion set more ridid

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Seeking advice on making specific extrusion set more ridid

Hey guys I've got a MillRight Carve King router on my hands here. I'm currently using a 2.2kw spindle with it and I'm wanting to gain more reliability/usability when I cut aluminum (and more aggressive cuts in woods/plastics, etc.). Right now it definitely seems to chatter more on the Y axis when I cut aluminum. The specific breach in rigidity I notice is deflection of my Z axis along the X extrusion rails. It deflects in the Y direction, and it can go in both positive or negative directions up to ~.080" if I press really hard. Up to .060" if I press moderately. I realize a lot of this is due to the V-rail setup on the gantry, however most of it seems to be due to physical twisting between the two X rail extrusions. This happens regardless of X Y or Z position and any difference in deflection in different positions is negligible.

As I understand, to mitigate this the way to go would be doing something to join the two rails (see attached pics) to minimize the possibility for the two to twist. I did try this to a certain extent with extra material I have laying around. In the picture of the front of the machine you can see I just test fit two 3/8" pieces of aluminum with drop in extrusion nuts to attempt to tighten up the rails together. With that current setup those pieces do nothing to help. I've tried them both near the center, both on the ends, etc. I can still see extrusion twist regardless. I don't know if the pieces are too small, 3/8" is to thin, or if I should be using steel rather than aluminum.

If you look in the picture I took of the back, I tried to show that the screw and nut for the V-rail bearings stick out slightly passed the edge of the extrusion. If they didn't, I'd just bolt a whole .50" plate to the back and and give it a go lol. So the only way I see a full plate on the back would be to have slots to accommodate the screw/nut milled into the plate. Unfortunately I don't have access to a mill that I could do that with (easily, at least.)

Here are the pictures on Imgur, they're too large for the forum.
    Thanks for any help guys!