Having Issues Setting Up 2.2kw Spindle & VFD

Thread: Having Issues Setting Up 2.2kw Spindle & VFD

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Having Issues Setting Up 2.2kw Spindle & VFD

Alright so I recently had another VFD/2.2kw spindle setup that I was having trouble with so I returned it to get essentially the same thing. The issues I had were basically that a different VFD came with it than the Huanyang one that was pictured and has all the internet backing. This VFD was a royal PITA to get going and it eventually just wasn't worth it and stopped working so here I am with this new spindle and VFD. The new one is a 2.2kw water cooled spindle and Huanyang 2.2kw VFD for 110v.

I have the VFD seemingly working, if I don't have it plugged into the spindle it works as intended. e.g. I turn pot and it goes to the desired frequency between 0 and 400 at whatever ramp up speed I set. However, when I plug in the spindle and try to do the same thing, once it gets to about 8hz the sound slightly changes in the spindle (not necessarily a bad sound, just different) and I start to get either an A.oA or an A.oL error. I've had both of them pop up but can't seem to find them in the documentation. Then at ~10hz it shuts off with the error E.oAA. Again, can't seem to specifically find this in the documentation. It also ramps up the frequency EXTREMELY slow. The default ramp time is 10 seconds. With the spindle plugged in it moves at less than 1hz per second, somewhere in the decimals.

From what I gather it seems as if this could likely be a shorting issue within the spindle windings. I'd like to check this (by checking resistance of each winding to the spindle ground IIRC?) but I'm hesitant to take apart the spindle since I don't really know what I'm getting into. I know I have no shorts in my wiring from the spindle to the VFD, I continuity checked that just in case. I'm also confident that my parameters are correct also. I used the ones I saw posted repeatedly countless times on CNCzone apart from changing preferential ones and making sure anything 220 related was set to 110 since I'm using 110. Again the ramp up time and everything works just fine with the spindle is unplugged, so I don't think it's settings affecting it.

Hopefully it's just something stupid, would be pretty lame to have to send back a second set.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Having Issues Setting Up 2.2kw Spindle & VFD

Is this a H.S. spindle 24k rpm?
    If so there is a minimum frequency to run it at otherwise burn out can occur.
    If a standard 3ph motor, it will not run at 400hz.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by steelcogs View Post
    Alright so I recently had another VFD/2.2kw spindle setup that I was having trouble with so I returned it to get essentially the same thing. The issues I had were basically that a different VFD came with it than the Huanyang one that was pictured and has all the internet backing. This VFD was a royal PITA to get going and it eventually just wasn't worth it and stopped working so here I am with this new spindle and VFD. The new one is a 2.2kw water cooled spindle and Huanyang 2.2kw VFD for 110v.

I have the VFD seemingly working, if I don't have it plugged into the spindle it works as intended. e.g. I turn pot and it goes to the desired frequency between 0 and 400 at whatever ramp up speed I set. However, when I plug in the spindle and try to do the same thing, once it gets to about 8hz the sound slightly changes in the spindle (not necessarily a bad sound, just different) and I start to get either an A.oA or an A.oL error. I've had both of them pop up but can't seem to find them in the documentation. Then at ~10hz it shuts off with the error E.oAA. Again, can't seem to specifically find this in the documentation. It also ramps up the frequency EXTREMELY slow. The default ramp time is 10 seconds. With the spindle plugged in it moves at less than 1hz per second, somewhere in the decimals.

From what I gather it seems as if this could likely be a shorting issue within the spindle windings. I'd like to check this (by checking resistance of each winding to the spindle ground IIRC?) but I'm hesitant to take apart the spindle since I don't really know what I'm getting into. I know I have no shorts in my wiring from the spindle to the VFD, I continuity checked that just in case. I'm also confident that my parameters are correct also. I used the ones I saw posted repeatedly countless times on CNCzone apart from changing preferential ones and making sure anything 220 related was set to 110 since I'm using 110. Again the ramp up time and everything works just fine with the spindle is unplugged, so I don't think it's settings affecting it.

Hopefully it's just something stupid, would be pretty lame to have to send back a second set.
    Don't try it anymore as you will damage it you have the Parameters not set correct, here is what you need to set, or you will smoke something, 120v supply is not a good choice for a 2.2Kw spindle

It the spindle 220v or 110v Rated ??

I will post the Parameters that you can use for your spindle, do the Parameters start with PD ??

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Don't try it anymore as you will damage it you have the Parameters not set correct, here is what you need to set, or you will smoke something, 120v supply is not a good choice for a 2.2Kw spindle

It the spindle 220v or 110v Rated ??

I will post the Parameters that you can use for your spindle, do the Parameters start with PD ??
    The spindle is definitely rated for 110v as is the VFD. I’m not sure how easy running a 220 line into my garage would be but I may just have to downgrade to a 1.5kw spindle worst case scenario.

And yes my parameters start with PD. It’s the relatively standard Huanyang VFD, just for 110v rather than 220.

Downloads
    Uploads

I’m not sure how easy running a 220 line into my garage would be.
    If the Garage is attached to your house it is usually as easy as running a 2 wire and GND from the panel to a 240v outlet..
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

The spindle is definitely rated for 110v as is the VFD. I’m not sure how easy running a 220 line into my garage would be but I may just have to downgrade to a 1.5kw spindle worst case scenario.

And yes my parameters start with PD. It’s the relatively standard Huanyang VFD, just for 110v rather than 220.
    That was not a good choice, only the Chinese would make such a spindle 110v 3 Phase, most who need 120v supply get the 110/120v VFD that has 220v output your spindle then would be a 220v 3 Ph, this is the norm for something like this

Here are some Parameters for you to try I don't like what you are doing though, as your supply would be to light to run this 2.2Kw spindle on 120v supply you need over 30A supply

There may need to be some adjustments to get this running,

Huanyang Mactec54
    2.2Kw 110/120v

PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control ) ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD006=15

PD007=20

PD008=120 (Motor Rated Voltage )

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=100 ( 100 Minimum Setting with Quality VFD, 120 is Safe)

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=10 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=10 (Adjust to suit)

( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD041=8 ( Carrier Frequency )

PD141=120 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142= 9 ( Motor Amp Rating 2.2Kw Spindle 9 amp )

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=400

PD73=100 ( 100 Minimum Setting 120 safe )

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll be damned! Copying those settings worked. The only ones I changed were the ones that say 120 for voltage (I had mine set at 110) and the minimum frequency. It must have been the frequency being too low that was overloading the bottom end or something. What was weird was that I wasn't intentionally trying to run it at a low frequency, I just physically couldn't turn the frequency up far enough for it to not error out I guess. Instead it ramped up at snail speed and presumably shut itself off before it could get to a safe frequency. Well this is awesome. Next I need to get it hooked up with my GRBL board but that shouldn't be too difficult, just either a 0-5v or 0-24mA input.

I'm thinking I should be ok as far as having ample power. The spindle and VFD I'm sending back worked until it didn't, but when it did I had it running at 15k rpm with my cnc running, shop vac on periodically, water pump, and laptop plugged in. Didn't trip any breaker then. Also had a scenario with all that plus a DeWalt router (that draws something like 5 amps) running too with no issues. If I run into any more issues (god knows I need more) and I end up having to send this back for whatever reason I'll look into running a 220 line. Hell I may even have an extra outlet with our hot water heater that's nearby now that I think about it. Provided the breaker is ample...

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll be damned! Copying those settings worked. The only ones I changed were the ones that say 120 for voltage (I had mine set at 110) and the minimum frequency. It must have been the frequency being too low that was overloading the bottom end or something. What was weird was that I wasn't intentionally trying to run it at a low frequency, I just physically couldn't turn the frequency up far enough for it to not error out I guess. Instead it ramped up at snail speed and presumably shut itself off before it could get to a safe frequency. Well this is awesome. Next I need to get it hooked up with my GRBL board but that shouldn't be too difficult, just either a 0-5v or 0-24mA input.

I'm thinking I should be ok as far as having ample power. The spindle and VFD I'm sending back worked until it didn't, but when it did I had it running at 15k rpm with my cnc running, shop vac on periodically, water pump, and laptop plugged in. Didn't trip any breaker then. Also had a scenario with all that plus a DeWalt router (that draws something like 5 amps) running too with no issues. If I run into any more issues (god knows I need more) and I end up having to send this back for whatever reason I'll look into running a 220 line. Hell I may even have an extra outlet with our hot water heater that's nearby now that I think about it. Provided the breaker is ample...
    Yes the low Frequency Parameter's are very important, they are easy to smoke or damage a spindle or drive when set incorrect

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    That was not a good choice, only the Chinese would make such a spindle 110v 3 Phase, most who need 120v supply get the 110/120v VFD that has 220v output your spindle then would be a 220v 3 Ph, this is the norm for something like this

Here are some Parameters for you to try I don't like what you are doing though, as your supply would be to light to run this 2.2Kw spindle on 120v supply you need over 30A supply

There may need to be some adjustments to get this running,

Huanyang Mactec54
    2.2Kw 110/120v

PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control ) ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD006=15

PD007=20

PD008=120 (Motor Rated Voltage )

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=100 ( 100 Minimum Setting with Quality VFD, 120 is Safe)

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings

PD014 Acceleration=10 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=10 (Adjust to suit)

( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD041=8 ( Carrier Frequency )

PD141=120 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142= 9 ( Motor Amp Rating 2.2Kw Spindle 9 amp )

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD72=400

PD73=100 ( 100 Minimum Setting 120 safe )
    I just put this settings into my Huanyang VFD hooked up to a 2.2kw spindle, and I am still having some troubles. I get an EOCA alarm anytime it tries to ramp up past 80hz. I have a good supply of power, properly sized wires, but not sure what I am doing wrong.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by evilusions View Post
    I just put this settings into my Huanyang VFD hooked up to a 2.2kw spindle, and I am still having some troubles. I get an EOCA alarm anytime it tries to ramp up past 80hz. I have a good supply of power, properly sized wires, but not sure what I am doing wrong.
    These settings may not work for you, these where custom for a 120V spindle so won't work correct if you have a 220v spindle

So is your spindle 220v as most are, if so you will need to change some of these parameters

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

sorry for necroposting, but this is literally the only thread on the internet which describes exactly the problem I am having right now. Only difference: I am in Germany so the line voltage is 220V and so is the spindle.
    I actually could run the spindle normally (via pot) but then decided to do a reset of the VFD (HY02D223B) because of a different problem I had, and now the frequency rises very slowly only when the spindle is attached, and goes into overcurrent quite quickly. The frequency rises normally when nothing is attached. I can turn on the VFD, hotplug the spindle and then regulate the frequency normally, without any problems, the spindle spins as expected. When I stop the spindle and start it again, the frequency again raises very slowly. So in summary: Seems to be exactly the same problem as the OP.

I have used the exact VFD-Settings vom mactec posted here (post 2): https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spind...w-spindle.html
    I have verified the settings multiple times, but the problem persists.. Does anyone have a tip or suggestion of what may be going on?

Thank you for your time.
    Niklas

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerstone View Post
    Hi,

sorry for necroposting, but this is literally the only thread on the internet which describes exactly the problem I am having right now. Only difference: I am in Germany so the line voltage is 220V and so is the spindle.
    I actually could run the spindle normally (via pot) but then decided to do a reset of the VFD (HY02D223B) because of a different problem I had, and now the frequency rises very slowly only when the spindle is attached, and goes into overcurrent quite quickly. The frequency rises normally when nothing is attached. I can turn on the VFD, hotplug the spindle and then regulate the frequency normally, without any problems, the spindle spins as expected. When I stop the spindle and start it again, the frequency again raises very slowly. So in summary: Seems to be exactly the same problem as the OP.

I have used the exact VFD-Settings vom mactec posted here (post 2): https://www.cnczone.com/forums/spind...w-spindle.html
    I have verified the settings multiple times, but the problem persists.. Does anyone have a tip or suggestion of what may be going on?

Thank you for your time.
    Niklas
    Normally when they are slow to get up to speed you have a Parameter set incorrect, they are an old Parameter set most should work for you spindle though, doing a factory reset is not always a good idea.

Post what parameters you have set and I will check them it only takes one to mess things up.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi mactec (and all reading),

Just as I was copying my parameters, I found the correct parameter that was wrong! It was PD025 "Starting mode". Factory setting is 0. Setting this to 1 resolved the issue instantly.

Thank you for your readiness to help I hope that others who have the same issue come across this thread and can save themselves hours of frustration.

Cheers!
    Niklas

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi mactec (and all reading),

Just as I was copying my parameters, I found the correct parameter that was wrong! It was PD025 "Starting mode". Factory setting is 0. Setting this to 1 resolved the issue instantly.

Thank you for your readiness to help I hope that others who have the same issue come across this thread and can save themselves hours of frustration.

Cheers!
    Niklas
    Having to change this Parameter indicates that you have other Parameters set incorrect, what do you have PD003 and PD004, unless there is something different with your VFD drive this is normally left at the default.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I've got them both at 400. But I have also tried leaving them at the standard settings, that didn't work either. The other settings are like the post I linked above.
    The settings that weren't mentioned in the post were left untouched after the reset, apart of course from PD025.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I've got them both at 400. But I have also tried leaving them at the standard settings, that didn't work either. The other settings are like the post I linked above.
    The settings that weren't mentioned in the post were left untouched after the reset, apart of course from PD025.
    No Main Parameters can be left at Default, this will cause damage to the drive or the spindle, never start one of these 400Hz spindles without the correct Parameters set.

That is very strange, PD025=1 will cause a higher than normal current when starting, so be aware of this, it may trip if it gets above the max also this can cause over heating

1?Start by frequency track
    This setting can be used for the restarting of large inertia load. When restarting, the
    inverter will trace the former frequency from the set frequency downward. In case of large
    inertia equipment, when restarting, it can implement the running command and track the
    former frequency right away without waiting for the complete stop of the equipment to
    save time.
    Note: When the inverter is restarted by frequency track, it will start tracking the frequency from its set frequency downward, and search it at the highest speed. When restarting, the current becomes higher, and over-current or stall may occur.

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi mactec,

I find this pretty strange as well.. But I can't say whether the VFD was delivered with this setting enabled, since I reset it. Which of the Parameters would you say are the main ones, apart from the ones you mentioned in the post I linked above?
    I will closely monitor the temperatur and current of the spindle and if I notice anything out of the ordinary, I will turn it off.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi mactec,

I find this pretty strange as well.. But I can't say whether the VFD was delivered with this setting enabled, since I reset it. Which of the Parameters would you say are the main ones, apart from the ones you mentioned in the post I linked above?
    I will closely monitor the temperatur and current of the spindle and if I notice anything out of the ordinary, I will turn it off.
    No they normally would of been factory default, so something changed when you did the reset

It will only be when the spindles starts it will have the high current, high current draw=heat when using PD025=1

Here is a set you can try this has a few different Parameters in the mix, when you use this set put the PD025=0 Default, is your spindle water cooled or air cooled, if air cooled then you may need some different settings.

These Parameters are calculated with the minimum speed of 120Hz so if this is changed then some of these Parameters will need to change.

Do you have Ground / Earth continuity between the 4th pin ( spindle Plug ) and the spindle body, if not this has to be corrected.

Huanyang Mactec54
    2.2Kw 220v 400Hz Water Cooled

PD000=0 ( 0 For Parameter unlock ) ( 1 For Locked )

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )
    ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Remote Terminal Control 1-2 jumper connection )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD006=140

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage )

PD009=77

PD010=11

PD011=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting )

PD013= 08 (is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings )

PD014=8 ( Acceleration Adjust to suit)

PD015=8 ( Deceleration Adjust to suit)

PD023=0 ( Forward Run Only )

PD041=8 ( Carrier Frequency up to 10 Max for these Spindle motors)

PD120=120 ( Stall Prevention )

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142=9 ( Motor Max Amps 2.2Kw Spindle 9 amp )

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) 3,000= (24,000)

PD070=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD072=400

PD073=120 ( 100 Minimum RPM Setting )

PD174= ??? ( To Be Set to the VFD Drives Max Rated Output Amps )

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi mactec,

sorry for the late reply, uni's been busy. I've set PD025 back to 0 and used these settings (actually, I only had to change PD006, PD009 and PD120) and now it works as well! I do actually have an air-cooled spindle, but the spindle is cool and only draws 2 amps (which is exactly the amount it drew before), so I don't think it will overheat.
    The body of the spindle is grounded, so no worries there. Thank you for your time and the detailled help!

Niklas