CNC Mogul - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CNC Mogul

Default Re: CNC Mogul

Quote Originally Posted by berighteous View Post
    Attachment 229130
    I love mine. I cut a clock and several other things today. I have a craftsman 2 1/2hp digital 12amp router on it and it works nice. I have a 4'x4'. I just learning CNC but I'm having a ton of fun with it. I have the newest quad rail machine, and for $1200 delivered for a 4x4 it's an awesome deal for what it can do.
    Nice looking clock face, I'm still trying to get my head around using Vbits, (I'm assuming the patterns you have were made with a Vbit).. If you don't mind my asking how heavy is your router? and are you having any issues with the Z axis holding it?

Cheers,

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Attachment 229130
    I love mine. I cut a clock and several other things today. I have a craftsman 2 1/2hp digital 12amp router on it and it works nice. I have a 4'x4'. I just learning CNC but I'm having a ton of fun with it. I have the newest quad rail machine, and for $1200 delivered for a 4x4 it's an awesome deal for what it can do.
    yea great machine for the cost for sure, i put it through its paces for sure, basically matching it up to one of my more commercial grade, was then i decided to move on, mike had good customer service and its a great entry level machine for like yourself. glad you making cool things.

Quote Originally Posted by curiosity22 View Post
    Nice looking clock face, I'm still trying to get my head around using Vbits, (I'm assuming the patterns you have were made with a Vbit).. If you don't mind my asking how heavy is your router? and are you having any issues with the Z axis holding it?
    No trouble at all holding it. It's a big heavy router, but it moves fine on the gantry. I did have one issue with it dropping z a little after finishing a long carve file and coming back to 0, Mike thinks it may be I had my z acceleration set to high for the big router. It's only happened on one gcode file I've cut so far and I've done a bunch of cutting today. It did the carving fine, so it just lost it on the return back to home. I don't know much about mach3, so I may have some setting wrong. lol.

Yeah, the clock was cut with a 90 degree 1/2" vbit I got at the hardware store. It's one of the free aspire projects vectric has on their website.

This is the router I have on it: Craftsman 12.0 AMP/VS 2.0 HP Digital Plunge Base Router - Tools - Corded Handheld Power Tools - All Corded Power Tools

No trouble at all holding it. It's a big heavy router, but it moves fine on the gantry. I did have one issue with it dropping z a little after finishing a long carve file and coming back to 0, Mike thinks it may be I had my z acceleration set to high for the big router.
    Hey g'day,

Thanks for the reply, I did the same and set my Z acceleration down, didn't help me with the original spindle I had, it was just way to heavy just over 5kg - So I got a lighter spindle weighs in at 3kg haven't had an issue since, reason I'm asking is I'd like to buy a spindle thats ar20 size collet - spindle I have is an ar11, so max size bit I can put in 7mm. Maybe time to look at a router, only thing that I don't know is how a router will hold out working for up to 6/8 hours without taking a break - All the spindles Ive looked at that have ar20 collets that are 2/3 hp are over 5kg in weight.

Steve

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ_dude View Post
    i still think its a great entry level machine, more of the line of a hobbyist, the lack of adjustments for rail wheels and plastic gear rack still classifies it as a hobbyist or entry level of sort, i have since moved on from mine, btw will add mike had great customer service and seemed to take some of my advice for design application. the recent changed with upgrades should be standard and def well worth the money, goodluck to the people using it, it was a fun experience for me.
    Hobbyist like good quality machines, with accuracy and durability also. I don't want to be fighting a machine and constantly wondering if it's me or the machine. I just don't need production levels.

Here's a video of my mogul carving the last supper in Walnut. 6"x16" or so, cut with a craftsman 2hp 12 amp digital router with 1/8" ball nose end mill. No roughing pass, just a 1/4" trench around the carving to depth. Carving time about 3 hours or so. Came out nice. Just a little edge and tool mark sanding and it's ready to finish.

Hey nice work,

What speed/feed did you have it set at?

Don't forget to post a pic when sanded and done.

Last supper is on my too do list as well..

Downloads
    Uploads

If these machines were a bit more polished and could hold good global and relative accuracy I think they'd do very well for how much they cost.

I cut that at 50ipm since I wasn't using a roughing pass.

Well its not hard to polish them up so to speak, doesn't take much effort to do that - considering the price and saved money it can be vested in upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by jm82792 View Post
    If these machines were a bit more polished and could hold good global and relative accuracy I think they'd do very well for how much they cost.

Cheers,

Reason I asked was I have a 1.5kw water cooled spindle 65mm diam, I run mine doing a finishing pass at over 200ipm... I'm looking at ways to stablize it some more to get quicker speeds out of it. Mike has told me that I should be able to cut at 600 so will see over the next few weeks how that goes.

Avagreatday

I cut that at 50ipm since I wasn't using a roughing pass.

Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

looks like somit zigged instead of zagging,.,,

they appear when I click em. They're from my facebook page which is open to everybody. oh well, I'll upload some then...
    CNC Mogul-mpic02-jpg
    CNC Mogul-mpic01-jpg
    CNC Mogul-mpic03-jpg
    CNC Mogul-mpic04-jpg
    CNC Mogul-mpic05-jpg
    CNC Mogul-mpic06-jpg
    CNC Mogul-mpic07-jpg
    CNC Mogul-mpic08-jpg
    CNC Mogul-mpic09-jpg

Some of these are mdf tests. ignore gouges, Some are reused wood after operator failures, lol.

Last edited by berighteous; 04-01-2014 at 01:06 AM. Reason: added more photos

Some of these are mdf tests. ignore gouges, Some are reused wood after operator failures, lol.
    LoL ok well I have a few operator errors as well.....

Nice work none the less.. I've just got some tappered 2.5mm ball nose Im going to try over the weekend will see if I cant get a better finish...

Cheers, and thanks for sharing the pics...

Here is the one I just cut after the second pass.
    CNC Mogul-mpic10-jpg

I'm cutting slow to see if I get a better cut with the 1/8" bn. I broke a bit the other day so I'm playing cautious.

Hey,

Thats a pretty good looking cut. What I found with some of the files like the last supper that I have I loose detail (well not loose but don't get enough detail) with a 3mm ball nose, some of the detail, like folds - eyes etc are smaller than 3mm so the ball nose rounds them off or flattens them on a second pass..

Going to try a 2.5mm maybe will need to go even to 2mm to get full detail. I haven't had a problem so far pushing the Mogul at speed for a clean cut, once I worked out spindle speeds I needed etc. I did pick up a good product though today, well the postman delivered it. Dome Sanding MOP 100mm Burr Free Operation | eBay its a sanding mop, I've put it on the cordless drill and gone over some pieces does a nice job of smoothing out any jaggy edges gets rid of fluff etc left behind.. Also good for re sanding after first coat of lacquer.

How are you going to finish the piece, oil, lacquer, wax??

You're always limited by the resolution of the bit you're using and what the wood will take. Making smaller stepovers can help some, like 8% or even 6% instead of 10 or more. The best solution is probably cutting the pieces larger. The last supper is a long piece, 28x12 would yield better detail than 14x6 with the same 1/8" mill because the details are 4x larger.

I'm just starting using real wood, so I just started investigating finishes. So far I've just dunked them in mineral oil and wiped them down. I'm getting some stains in the next few days to experiment with staining the pieces. Thankfully, I have a friend who has a high end cabinet shop, and he's been donating some of his cull wood to me to play with. Nice stuff too - walnut, alder, ash, maple, and some oak.

I have a nice sanding mop on my drill press. I run every piece all the way around top and bottom on it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm trying to buy a cnc mogul but no one answered my emails, can anyone recommend me a similar model?

Downloads
    Uploads

ShapeOko do a web search for makerslide as well. also look at Stepper Motor & Stepper Motor Driver - StepperOnline for motors and electronics. I bought a 4' x8' machine and the werks. from mogul and had a box go bad. I then ordered a new one from there and its been 2 months, and nothin. Even AFTER I called to inquire about my order. So do the research and build your own.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast