Need Help! Colchester Triumph 7.5" (Round Head) Lathe

Thread: Colchester Triumph 7.5" (Round Head) Lathe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Colchester Triumph 7.5" (Round Head) Lathe

Hi,

I have a Colchester Triumph 7.5" Mk1 (Round Head) which is used every day in our machine shop. It's an old girl, but it is priceless to our business and is still used just as much as the other lathes.

Today however it's given up. We can still select all gears on top (two levers) but the main high / low gear lever on the front is the issue. In low box all is fine. In high box when running the spindle slowly moves in its correct direction. But it doesn't pick speed up and I can stop it by hand.

I've removed the head off the gearbox and noticed that the high speed driving gear (drives spindle tube through selector) is spinning freely on the shaft. See attached pictures and video.

http://81.138.85.180/~jim_cliff11/Triumph.mp4

I can’t find any tech drawings for this lathe. There is no grub screw, roll pin or bolt to hold the gear onto the shaft so I can only assume its fixed to the shaft through splines. And subsequently the splines have worn off? However, it went from working fine to not in the space of 5 minutes with no grinding or typical gearbox failure sounds.

Does anyone have any experience with these lathes, and would be kind enough to advise?

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Colchester Triumph 7.5" (Round Head) Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by jim_cliff11 View Post
    Hi,

I have a Colchester Triumph 7.5" Mk1 (Round Head) which is used every day in our machine shop. It's an old girl, but it is priceless to our business and is still used just as much as the other lathes.

Today however it's given up. We can still select all gears on top (two levers) but the main high / low gear lever on the front is the issue. In low box all is fine. In high box when running the spindle slowly moves in its correct direction. But it doesn't pick speed up and I can stop it by hand.

I've removed the head off the gearbox and noticed that the high speed driving gear (drives spindle tube through selector) is spinning freely on the shaft. See attached pictures and video.

http://81.138.85.180/~jim_cliff11/Triumph.mp4

I can’t find any tech drawings for this lathe. There is no grub screw, roll pin or bolt to hold the gear onto the shaft so I can only assume its fixed to the shaft through splines. And subsequently the splines have worn off? However, it went from working fine to not in the space of 5 minutes with no grinding or typical gearbox failure sounds.

Does anyone have any experience with these lathes, and would be kind enough to advise?

Thanks
    I think if it had worn the splines off there would be a lot of metal shaving that you would be able to see, you are lucky that you are in the UK there are still plenty of parts available for these old machines and a great machine as well, I have 2 but have not had that model I have a latter model 2000 and a ChipMaster I only have the manual for the ChipMaster which does have the back Gear similar to this as well

The 600 Group will have parts for you, this guy will also be able to help you with what is wrong, tony@lathes.co.uk I think you can remove that shaft there are some cover plates on the front and back and you can remove that shaft from there, make sure everything is cleaned before you take any parts off I have only done the ChipMaster Gear Box so not sure with yours

Mactec54