How long does it take to learn to feed G-code through a machine?

Thread: How long does it take to learn to feed G-code through a machine?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How long does it take to learn to feed G-code through a machine?

I know this is going to sound like a lazy or naive teenager's "can I learn CNC in a few days without any effort" type of post, but I have a unique opportunity to work in a situation that fits the rest of my life perfectly right now.

What I would be doing is taking the program/G-code for the part (supplied by another person working somewhere else) and feeding it through a desktop or slightly larger machine (Taig, Sherline, or possibly a Tormach) and making the same part over and over, basically watching it run, watching for problems, and swapping out fresh stock when each part is made.

How long would it take for someone to learn enough of machine operation to do this? I know it's a vague question, but a general idea is what I'm looking for. I would make it a point to learn it in some kind of local classes (that would take some driving, etc.) or something online, if that sounds like a possible solution, depending on the advice given here. I would have the option to ask general questions from the program/G-code supplier, but being able to run it through the machine would be up to me.

I'm 50 years old, generally mechanically inclined, but no real CNC experience, other than enough of an interest to watch a ton of videos on YouTube of machines running.

Any kind of general guess of how long it would take or input from those experienced, or suggestions as to how/where to learn this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How long does it take to learn to feed G-code through a machine?

Hi Chris - Gcode can be a black box, you don't need to know about it but you do need to know how to set up a machine, set up the job (feeds speeds etc) then fix issues. The job you are describing would be better done by a machine shop. The machines except the Tormach are hobby level machines and not very efficient in production if your client has lots to do. If the project/client has the time and interest to get through the learning curve maybe 6 months to get comfortable in the environment with good mentoring and help. Ask a machinist how long it took to become a machinist? Even though the gcode is supplied you still have to make a part to the specifications and making a part to tolerance is not easy for a beginner....Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking at it another way,you are most unlikely to ever need to program by typing Gcode into a controller.It is useful to know what a few commands mean and really you could print out a "cheat sheet" listing the meanings of a few useful functions.In everyday use about 12 crop up with any real frequency.Speeds and feeds can be found in Machinery's Handbook but for a machine which is a lightweight by industrial standards you may have to scale down a touch.From the description it seems that the job under consideration won't need a deep knowledge of programming but will require the ability to set up a piece of material and enter a fixture offset into the controller to basically tell the controller where the part datum is located in x,y and z relative to the machine's home position.Having loaded the program there shouldn't be anything to do until you remove the finished part for deburring,which you will probably do when running the next part.Once in a while you will have to switch tools to replace a worn example and you may need to keep a record of how long each tool has been in use.

Downloads
    Uploads

Getting started is easy, 2 weeks to 1 month should be okay.

http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the input everyone! Most seem to think that one month to six months puts this in reach, which is fantastic. My concern was that it would be a few years of experience, to even get started.

If anyone has any suggestions about how/where to learn this, I'd appreciate suggestions. Cost is not an issue.

Thank you.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a good place to start. https://academy.titansofcnc.com/

It is free, and will take you from zero to making parts in a few lessons. It is pretty good if you have no machining experience at all.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Depending where you live a lot of colleges offer cnc programming course 40 hour crash course took mine in 86 ish .

Downloads
    Uploads

its always going to be up to the individual . I've helped a lot of new guys out on the job and some guys needed to be told something once while others it was endless .

With the obvious stuff like taking offsets etc aside -
    A key button to learn is single block , it will only move one line at a time . It's always good to use single block when approaching a new part after the work shift and new tools have been set . Along with this you'll want to understand the few g codes that occur as your tool approaches your part which usually contains a safe z point before going down to cut the part .
    That's where you'll know if your part is in the right position as well as your tool . If your tool is at the safe z point and your work piece looks to be in the right spot then you should be good to proceed cautiously . Without this bit of g code understanding you'll be running blind . If it's been programmed correctly then the rest that follows should just flow out .

Learn to use rapid and feed override .

You'll need to know when you should and shouldn't use a deadblow to tap down your parts (and the reasons why) , control your cutting fluid concentrates , the difference between decent measuring tools and not and how to properly maintain and use them . It's an easy list to keep adding to
    There are a lot big things to learn out of the gate but it's the little things that will bite a guy on the butt

I'd suggest downloading mach which comes with sample codes and you can basically simulate from you seat at your desk . It will give you some time to familiarize yourself with the controls and see how the coding works . You'll be able to pretend to take work offsets and set tool heights and well . Train your mind to follow a certain step by step procedure . One thing I've always said was you got to think like the machine , it all becomes automatic after a while and second guessing becomes non existent

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    when I started, I wrote some very very simple Gcode by hand. Its extremely useful to look at some Gcode and get a picture in your mind as to what toolpath is being
    described. There will be times even when you have Gcode written for you or composed with a CAM program but does not operate quite as you thought it might,
    and that's when you might want to look at the code to see if there is an extraneous or mal-performing instruction.

As others have pointed out various programs like Mach3 allow you to write and simulate Gcode. There are others programs known as Gcode viewers and simulators
    which are also useful. I found within a few days I had the basics in hand, and I've just gotten better at it over the ten plus years since.

I am not a machinist by any stretch of the imagination, but my Uncle showed me how to use a lathe when I was 8 or 9 years old, and used a mill when I got to University (in the student
    workshop). I got some early experience in CNC, again in University, when I begged and pleaded with the technicians in the Engineering school workshop that I was fairly basically capable.
    Still had to bribe them with dozens of beers, but I did get some use of an early CNC Bridgeport.

The truth is the people who make the best CNC machinists usually those whom started out as good to bloody good manual machinists. Gcode and all of that is like another layer on top.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

It is a good thing to have an understanding of the most used expressions but even so,few people sit at a controller typing in Gcode these days.Conversational controllers or CAM software have just about eliminated the old ways.Both Fusion 360 and Freecad have included the facility to create Gcode so it can be done for little or no financial outlay.It is a slightly more challenging route but the ability to create and modify parts and have the Gcode updated as or when you modify elements is very useful and eliminates the risk of mis-typing.It is so much easier to walk up to the machine with a program on a memory stick and load it,or even to have the controller networked and paste the program directly in it.It can be a big help to seek out a few videos on youtube to advance your knowledge.