MDI Codes Anyone know about them?

Thread: MDI Codes Anyone know about them?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default MDI Codes Anyone know about them?

Hello

I have a friend that has a CNC mill that uses MDI codes (at least that is what he called them). Does anyone know where I can find and information on were I can learn MDI codes?

Thanks

Dan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure what he means as MDI usually refers to a input method, not the codes.
    MDI=Manual Data Input.
    IOW a standard command is entered on a one shot basis, as it were, rather than storing it as a program for future use.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Probably what he means is writing a G code program using Manual Data Input.

This is a method of writing short programs on the machine by simply typing in G code commands. The program is not stored in memory and is lost when the power is turned off.

The program can be as short as one line. For instance if you just want to move the X axis a distance of 3.00 inches in the negative direction the command typed in in MDI is G91 G00 X-3.00. G91 is incremental motion, G00 is rapid and X-3.00 is 3.00 negative travel.

All the standard G codes commands can be used.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Al and Geof

Thank you for your replys! They both were very helpful! Is there a listing of G codes someplace I could print out? At one time I know some of them. That was a few (10+) years ago.

Thanks

Dan

Downloads
    Uploads
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Also a note on the program codes, G codes although many are common some are often specific to a particular style of machine, i.e. EDM, Mill, Lathe etc, and usually come part of the manufactures system.
    M codes on the other hand, although generally conform to industry standard are at the whim of the machine tool builder, he writes the M,S & T code routines.
    So it is often important to get the machine codes that apply to a particular make and also style of machine.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: MDI Codes Anyone know about them?

has anyone know any use full MDI codes for Bavelloni machines?

Default Re: MDI Codes Anyone know about them?

I believe with these CNC's that you enter the g code in through the command MDI on the monitor for the cnc, this is the only area that really allows to you manually input data. In this case I believe for logical reasons we can consider the code to be "data" that we are inputting. If you want a tool change, you go to MDI and type in M06 Txx and the data is input and can then be used. Just spitballing.

I use a Renishaw Probing system, and after going through my VQC commands a million times over I decided to write a program for tool offsetting using the MDI and placing a M00 machine stop after each process so that you can jog to the next location for the probe to pick up and just press go. I created this using MDI and saved the file from my "clipboard" to the actual hard drive on the CNC. Now when I want to probe a part, I load this program and run right through it. I know a little to much information maybe, but I believe the code creating using MDI is what he is referring to.

Last edited by Cshade30; 08-19-2014 at 09:33 AM.