Using Canned cycles and retract values.

Thread: Using Canned cycles and retract values.

Default Using Canned cycles and retract values.

Hey guys,
    I have a program here that I am working on to throw some holes in parts that is returning to home after each canned cycle; I have eliminated this problem by removing my G28 (Return Home Command) which is commonly followed by X,Y,Z coordinates. After doing this I thought, well I do want a retract just not a return to home position, so I had added a Z value just after my canned cycle ends it looks something like this :

" N7 G90 G54 G00 X-4.625 Y-.375N8 G43 Z.5 H01 M08
    N9 G81 G98 R.5 Z-.6875 F2.5
    N10 Y-2.125
    N11 X-.375
    N12 Y-.375
    N13 G80 Z1
    N14 ( Center Drill1 )
    N15 X-2. Y-1.25
    N16 G81 G98 R.5 Z-.425 F2.5
    N17 X-1.
    N18 G80 Z1.0"

In doing this I make contact with the part briefly it seems that the Z value I was using was possibly incremental? Somehow someway? Anyone have any insight on how to add a retract without it cancelling or messing up my drill cycle. Very willing to try what ever you guys think will work! Thanks for looking! I would like to use the retract value that was set along with tool offset and feed but it seems it isn't the same value? Or can I just leave that command in there itself and it will retract to this point after each hole? I could always use the "I" value, but I would just like to know what works the best way for you guys?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Using Canned cycles and retract values.

Quote Originally Posted by Cshade30 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I have a program here that I am working on to throw some holes in parts that is returning to home after each canned cycle; I have eliminated this problem by removing my G28 (Return Home Command) which is commonly followed by X,Y,Z coordinates. After doing this I thought, well I do want a retract just not a return to home position, so I had added a Z value just after my canned cycle ends it looks something like this :

" N7 G90 G54 G00 X-4.625 Y-.375N8 G43 Z.5 H01 M08
    N9 G81 G98 R.5 Z-.6875 F2.5
    N10 Y-2.125
    N11 X-.375
    N12 Y-.375
    N13 G80 Z1
    N14 ( Center Drill1 )
    N15 X-2. Y-1.25
    N16 G81 G98 R.5 Z-.425 F2.5
    N17 X-1.
    N18 G80 Z1.0"
    The first line of code is very wrong, never do a Z axes move with a G0 X Y move, Your program is in absolute G90 so won't change unless you call a G91

%
    G0Z1.
    G90 G54 G00 X-4.625 Y-.375N8 also remove the ( " ) at the start of the line add a % at the beginning & end of the Program
    G43 Z.5 H01 M08
    G81 G98 R.5 Z-.6875 F2.5 The ( R ) value in this line is not doing anything, to use the ( R ) value setting you need to have a G99 were the G98 is, the G98 looks at the Z axes move which is .5 in your case so is the same

G80G0Z1. Again don't add (Z1.0" ) ( " ) anywhere in the program like you have
    M30
    %

Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The first line of code is very wrong, never do a Z axes move with a G0 X Y move, Your program is in absolute G90 so won't change unless you call a G91
    %
    My apologies it seems that it combined the lines when I copy and pasted this code. I have the lines separated, that's what the N8 mixed in randomly signifies "Number 8 or Line 8". Also, I have added the parenthesis so that you could see where I was beginning and ending talking about the code, I should have been more specific I apologize for that. This is also just a section of my code, just the portion I have questions about really.

So I use the return to reference plane instead? I think I understand what you are saying; that the G98 does not utilize the retract that I have set here unless it is a G99? I see that in most cases when using G98 that the Z level you reference is the value it will rapid to after the drill has gone to the depth it had required. Now say I have 8 holes I'm drilling, 4 holes in my 54 offset and 4 in my 55 offset; the z level of these two parts are identical and do not change. Once my programmed has finished with the first part (54 offset) and switched to the next holes in the 55 offset I just want to set a retract in this part to avoid the Z travel to 0 as we all know that's inefficient with the part lying in the same Z and just several inches away. What command would I use at the end of the code I have provided to retract to a value to travel between parts.

Last edited by Cshade30; 08-18-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Cshade30

I put it at the bottom in the last post

G80G0Z1. G80 cancels the caned cycle G0Z1.will move the Z axes 1.0 above your part You can use any number you want here to clear your work

You don't need to use another offset unless you have different Z heights/Part heights, just use a G90 X---------Y----------- move to the start of the next Hole & your caned cycle will start for that set of holes

Mactec54

Sweet man! greatly appreciated! I got her all patched up getting ready to do a trial run once more, I have 4 parts I am drilling and milling. The previous machine time was about 15 per part on a standard mill; got it down to 17 minutes to machine 4 parts completely. I appreciate all the help mactec!