How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle

The NEC uses both of these words throughout but the NEC does not use these words interchangeably, they use them as two completly different words with different meanings.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really was just trying to sort it out for readers overlooking this thread so they do not make mistakes. I have read a number of threads on cnczone where they have done just that and fried their VFDs. If anyone is going to read this hopefully they take away that they cannot use Neatral as ground or they will be in violation of the NEC. If my memory serves me well it was in 2005 when this became a code violation.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Neutral Wire Facts and Mythology | EE Times

This has a great breakdown for anyone reading this who wants to understand the myths surrounding the Neutral wire.

Downloads
    Uploads

Plucked from the article:
    "In North America, much of the confusion regarding grounding has its roots in the National Electrical Code of the United States. In the Code, the receptacle ground connection is referred to as the "Grounding" conductor while the neutral connection is referred to as the "Grounded" conductor. The subtle difference between "ing" and "ed" has led many to erroneously interchange these terms in the literature."

One of the confusing issues is the wording used in different part of the world.
    When I practiced in the UK the you ran an Earth wire, not a ground.
    Also not only is Ground used indiscriminately from electronic circuit common terminal, but the earth ground symbol is also often (mis)used in electronic circuitry instead of the Chassis or Common symbols.
    If one wants defining explanation of Earth Grounding they should pick up the book by Eustace Soares "Soares Book On Grounding" which is used by NEC/CEC and other international bodies
    There is a very enlightening video lecture by Dr Bruce Archambault on the subject.
    Also his cartoon.
    Al.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle-groundobjects-jpg   How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle-gndsymb-copy-jpg  
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep that is why i was posting that grounded ground grounding cannot be used interchangably because they do not mean the same thing. Another issue I see frequently is people not understanding the difference between grounding and bonding. The second image you posted there causes even more confusion, I have always known the earth ground symbol to represent ground but recently i have seen articles and even some schematic software using the commom ground symbol to represent ground calling the earth ground something different entirely.

Downloads
    Uploads

You will see items sold here such as BOB's etc and/or a schematic posted and they all use the earth ground symbol as a power Common, regardless if it is non-earthed.
    The book highly praised by many, The Art Of Electronics commit the offense all the way through.
    The earth ground symbol I show was established by the JIC in the '50's.
    Also there is a paper published by Siemens on the importance of equi-potential bonding in electrical enclosures etc.
    It used to be available on their web site until they changed the site.
    It is available by request in PDF.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much for this information. How did you wire the 220v input voltage. I have a standard 220vac US circuit to connect with a red (hot line), black (hot line), white (neutral). What connection points should I connect them to?

Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

See Step 1 in the first post. Only use the red and the black, one to "R", and one to "T".
    You also should have a ground wire, which also needs to be connected.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RickMc View Post
    Thanks so much for this information. How did you wire the 220v input voltage. I have a standard 220vac US circuit to connect with a red (hot line), black (hot line), white (neutral). What connection points should I connect them to?

Thank you
    If you had read this thread correctly you would see that you can NOT use a White Neutral Wire with a 240V NA supply, it can be 2 Black or 1 Red and 1 Black Plus a Green Wire for Ground /Earth

If you have a White wire in your 240v supply you would also have a Ground this could be a bare Copper wire, you can not use the White wire, when you find the Ground wire you can join a Green wire to it, make sure this is bonded together very well

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RickMc View Post
    I have a standard 220vac US circuit to connect with a red (hot line), black (hot line), white (neutral). What connection points should I connect them to?
    Are you using the 240vac supply for the whole machine or just for the spindle?
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KB2WYL View Post

As for the spindle, grounding the shield at the vfd end is fne. You have the 3 wires carrying signal, and one wire carrying ground. The ground wire hooks up to "e" at the vfd, and the 4th pin at the spindle. Like we just talked about, it's grounded at the "E" end. Wheb people talk about grounding at both ends, I think they really mean connecting at both ends.

Don't over complicate and end up making ground loops. 2 live wires to "R+T", Earth wire to "E", and then "UVX, and E" to 1234 on the spindle..
    I brought out my multi meter and checked my 2.2kw water cooled spindle pin 4 for continuity against the metal chassis of the spindle and there was no connection, so pin 4 (on my spindle) does nothing. Probably wise to assume your spindle may not be grounded by wiring to pin 4.

There is a YT video from what looks like an HY manufacturer which at 2:08 states "we usually don't connect earth" when referring to the spindle. Likely why pin 4 is disconnected.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtoe View Post
    I brought out my multi meter and checked my 2.2kw water cooled spindle pin 4 for continuity against the metal chassis of the spindle and there was no connection, so pin 4 (on my spindle) does nothing. Probably wise to assume your spindle may not be grounded by wiring to pin 4.

There is a YT video from what looks like an HY manufacturer which at 2:08 states "we usually don't connect earth" when referring to the spindle. Likely why pin 4 is disconnected.
    That's because in China they do not have to use an Earth / Ground connection, anywhere else in the world you have too, so the unconnected 4th pin you have to connect it, you do this by taking the top off the spindle motor if it has a metal top, this is quite easy to do, the good quality Chinese Spindles have the Pin 4 connected as per photo's below

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle-ground-wire-2-jpg   How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle-spindle-wiring-vfd-spindle-plug-png  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks mactec! Mine has a black top with the 4 pin connector. Is the black top more difficult to remove (I.e. sealed)?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtoe View Post
    Thanks mactec! Mine has a black top with the 4 pin connector. Is the black top more difficult to remove (I.e. sealed)?
    Is it aluminum or plastic, if it is plastic you have to attach the Ground / Earth wire a different way and don't need to remove the end cap, some use a sealant on them so it may take a little persuading to get it off, there are 2 Orings that need to be sealed, that's the only part you have to be concerned with when you reassemble it, blow the water out before you disassemble it, just use low air pressure

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    220/240v is ( 2 Hot wires and a Ground, you do not have a Neutral involved with 220/240 volt for NA, So if you have connected a Neutral wire you can expect to have some damage to your VFD, and a white wire can not be used as a Ground wire unless it's color has been changed to Green and is connected to Ground

So to your VFD you should have the input power connected to the R and T terminals, and the Ground wire connected to the E Terminal if not you will have problems

A Spindle Ground wire is needed so you need to connect another Ground wire to the VFD E terminal and connect to the best place you can on your spindle, this is a must have

Your shielded cable should be terminated at both ends as per snip below
    I had a 4kw hunayang hooked up for about 10 months, only used occasionally on a 5hp planer, and it popped recently, loud pop and no longer works. Pics of my hook up below.

Ground (green) to ground on VFD and power to R and S.

UVW from motor to VFD.

Solid copper ground wire from mounting plate on planer to ground terminal on VFD.

Is that all correct? From my reading, the power from wall (220v) can go to R & T?

I also would like to know how to wire a switch of some sort as I have one 220v plug in my garage, the dryer outlet, and it gets shared with the dryer, sawstop, jointer, and planer with vfd. I plug in the vfd, flip the breaker, let the VFD boot up, then use the run and stop buttons to turn the planer on.

I read I can wire a switch of some sort to turn the VFD on and off, preventing some power surging to the VFD or another way to turn the planer on and off instead of from the VFD itself. Any help would be great.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Loren, Is there much difference form these setting, to setting up a 3KW spindle?

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone post on here I would like some help please.

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, after reading so many frustrating ( and confusing comments ), I and I'm sure many other people simply aren't sure about connections. Here in the uk we have 240v single phase, with brown live, blue neutral and gren/yellow earth (ground). To make matters worse there are several grounding methods. Our house was re-wired as p.m.e, and as such the incoming ground and neutral wires are joined where they enter the house. Looking at the schematic for the vfd, the mains input 2 or three phase goes through a bridge rectifier. So I assume live goes to R neutral to S or T, and earth to earth/ground. It is very confusing to here that you have two lives and ground, surely this would not work into a bridge rectifier. But hey, after reading all the different supply types and voltages I'm amazed anything but three phase works.
    Regards john

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by john_m0ers View Post
    Hi, after reading so many frustrating ( and confusing comments ), I and I'm sure many other people simply aren't sure about connections. Here in the uk we have 240v single phase, with brown live, blue neutral and gren/yellow earth (ground). To make matters worse there are several grounding methods. Our house was re-wired as p.m.e, and as such the incoming ground and neutral wires are joined where they enter the house. Looking at the schematic for the vfd, the mains input 2 or three phase goes through a bridge rectifier. So I assume live goes to R neutral to S or T, and earth to earth/ground. It is very confusing to here that you have two lives and ground, surely this would not work into a bridge rectifier. But hey, after reading all the different supply types and voltages I'm amazed anything but three phase works.
    Regards john
    That is the same Grounding system as is in NA, that you have at the Mains point of entry, you will find that in your sub box Ground and Neutral are separate

Your R should always be Hot / live connection Natural connects to T and Ground / Earth to the Ground Terminal in your case NA has split Phase supply 2 Hot wires which are 180 degrees apart, each Hot wire is only 120v for residential supply so with 2 wires at 120v =240 they take turns at being the return wire ( Neutral )

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Air Cooled Spindle-120v-240v-single-phase-power-na-png  
    Mactec54

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast