6040 CNC VFD settings? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6040 CNC VFD settings?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CodeBuster View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for posting the PDF version of the manual. It makes things much clearer.

CHIMERA1960, you said you had contacted a manufacturer of the board and that they were in Singapore. Can you tell me about this VFD board maker? I'm interested in the RS485 aspects of the board, and the manual isn't too detailed. For more info on RS485, it says to contact them on their "website", which obviously isn't linked in the document.
    Is it the same boards as the JD inverter that windom46 posted the manual for?
    Hi Code, well from what I'm seeing, windom46 is trying to help pippo73 they are from italy, windom46 has the E750 controller and pippo73 has the E1500 which is what I have, but in 110v-120v input, they have different voltages, but the two controllers, I'm not share if they use the same model VFD? And the parameters are different for each, it applies to motor wattage, but if you need the E1500 parameters look at the post from gmungus he nailed it, I verified the parameters and I'm still using them and machine does work well, no motor issues getting hot under load runs cool and smooth, as far as the rs485, I thought that is a type of connector 9 pin I think, isn't it? Your welcome on the manual it was the best I could do. But use gmunguses parameters to run you machine they work. Input them just how he lists them and all will be good. Hope this helps

Later CHIMERA1960

CHIMERA1960

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey guys, thanks for posting the PDF version of the manual. It makes things much clearer.

CHIMERA1960, you said you had contacted a manufacturer of the board and that they were in Singapore. Can you tell me about this VFD board maker? I'm interested in the RS485 aspects of the board, and the manual isn't too detailed. For more info on RS485, it says to contact them on their "website", which obviously isn't linked in the document.
    HI Code, see if these pics work for ya. They are both complete top and bottom of the VFD controller board that sits on top of the power supply in the box.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6040 CNC VFD settings?-20170607_212513-jpg   6040 CNC VFD settings?-20170603_113850-jpg  
    CHIMERA1960

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 6040 CNC VFD settings?

Indeed, it does work. The boards seem to be identical. Whoever is making this PRT-E1500, they've made the same in any 6040's labeled with JD Inverter on their spindle controls. Mine is also wired similarly, once I figured out AVI was a 0-10V input.
    A place to look at might be those 4 pads to the immediate right of that hex inverter logic chip and below the microcontroller.
    I can't see any other place the RS485 might be available other than the front panel headers which the LED display plugs into. If you have an O-scope you might see what kind of signal is happening on those pads. Voltage differences on the A/B terminals should be +/- 200mV, if it is using RS485.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Indeed, it does work. The boards seem to be identical. Whoever is making this PRT-E1500, they've made the same in any 6040's labeled with JD Inverter on their spindle controls. Mine is also wired similarly, once I figured out AVI was a 0-10V input.
    A place to look at might be those 4 pads to the immediate right of that hex inverter logic chip and below the microcontroller.
    I can't see any other place the RS485 might be available other than the front panel headers which the LED display plugs into. If you have an O-scope you might see what kind of signal is happening on those pads. Voltage differences on the A/B terminals should be +/- 200mV, if it is using RS485.
    Hi Code, yea I was thinking the same the pad by J16 micro chip, but as I was looking at the board again, the pads on the left on the edge of the board might be pads also for it, I don't have my controller with me or I would open it and look again, the wire harness for the panel mount readout is in the way in the pic, but anyway the dongle remote the XHC that I'm using works really good, I use it when I ref my work piece location on the table, its puts it right there, but I did find, you really can't or you don't want to adjust the spindle rpm while cutting a code, we found if you do try to change it, the spindle rpm default to max rpm 24000, we tryed it to see what would happen, when we are designing in artcam, the program asks for all the details of what you are making, type of material, how big work piece is, so on, then it sets the proper rpm range for the type of material your cutting, it does this automaticly, so if you try to adjust cutting speed in mach3, the code was writing for the speed the artcam software wrote it to be and if you try to change it, the program gets messed up because you went out of the parameters of the gcode made for that job. So I guess where I'm going is, I spent the money for a remote, and find its nice to have around, but you don't really use it that much I found, and if you buy a cnc controller that doesn't have the penedent option the dongle remotes work good, it all has to communications with the computer anyway, even though we both know, the VFD only controls spindle rpm, but its all tied together, it all works together with the computer. So the system is smart enough to know when you try to change something while its working. Well bottom line is we don't have the board schematic to see what does what, and we are only guessing anyway. I know we won't get that from the vendor but maybe there is a simple wire diagram in the manual on the circuit I didn't look close enough.

Hey good stuff though, hope it helped somewhat,
    Take care CHIMERA1960

CHIMERA1960

Downloads
    Uploads

Would you be willing to share your LinuxCNC settings? Perhaps both machine definition files?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have found the settings manual for PRT-750 & PRT-1500W VFDs.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by wsidebottom; 10-15-2017 at 08:34 AM. Reason: No longer looking for manual. Found it and attached it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There are ic's missing on the board near rs+ & rs- which are for rs485. I think there should be 2 opti-isolators and 2 resistors. I don't know what values they should be though.

Last edited by wsidebottom; 10-15-2017 at 08:37 AM. Reason: grammer

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello everyone, I finally managed to set the spindle speed also from Gcode and I briefly list the steps.

I use LinuxCNC and these are the settings working with Stepconf:
    pin 1 = PWM spindle, invert popped
    pin 2 to 9 = 4 axes (XYZA)
    pins 14 and 16 unused
    pin 17 = Amplifier Enable
    pin 10 = Estop In
    pin 11 = probe
    pin 12/13/15 = limit switch sensors

Spindle configuration
    PWM Rate = 100
    Speed1 = 0
    Speed2 = 24000
    PWM1 = 0
    PWM2 = 1

I do not know if everything is set as originally, but after almost 2 years of hard work is back to work ****** ALL BIG !!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wsidebottom View Post
    I have found the settings manual for PRT-750 & PRT-1500W VFDs.
    Where did you find it and how can I get a copy?

Pat
    cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/148568-yax2c-yet_another_x2_conversion.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Starnovice View Post
    Where did you find it and how can I get a copy?
    It is attached to the post in a rar archive.
    I don't remember where i found it either, but it is here now!

Downloads
    Uploads

I hope this helps some users.... I could have used this a while ago....

CNC 6040 Setup for Mach3
    David P
    2-23-19

I have the 1500W router spindle with PRT-E1500W VFD. I bought this in Jan 2019, so that is the approximate date of manufacture. Other dates may vary.

Mach 3 wouldn’t control the router until I did the following:
    1. Reset VFD to factory settings:
    a. Set D001 to 1
    b. Set D176 to 1
    2. Set for 400 Hz VFD vs 50Hz factory default setting
    a. Set D09=400
    b. Set D00 to 400
    c. Set D002 to 400
    d. Set D000 to 400
    e. Set D003 to 400
    f. Set D009 to 400
    g. Set D021 to 400
    h. Set D093 to 400
    3. Set VFD to receive input frequency from front panel “AVI” terminal (rotary pot)
    a. Set D031 to 1
    4. Set VFD front panel display to show in RPM vs Hz.
    a. Set D039 to 1
    5. Set VFD to operate off of both Manual and PC input Switch
    a. Set D032 to 0
    i. Note: after completing setup sequence, make sure to test manual with rotary switch in Manual, and PC/Mach3 in PC rotary setting. Note if the PC mode shows the numbers increase on front panel display but does not start the spindle, you need to press the ON button on front panel to enable spindle. After that it will remain in PC control of ON/OFF.
    6. Set up Mach3 on PC to control VFD:
    a. Mach3, Config, Ports and Pins, check port 1 and port 2 (Note, my machine does not use the parallel port, instead a USB interface to a “sort-of smart card” inside the main enclosure. In order to get the initial settings right and Mach3 code for the machine with configuration data, I opened the enclosure, found the small smart board, read off the manufacturer and model, then google searched for it, and found the USA source for the device. They had a very “minimal” web site that allowed download of the Mach3 program and config, and that was my starting point. My factory CD was corrupted or worthless and didn’t work on a Windows 7 machine).
    b. Set Kernel speed for 25000 Hz.
    c. Ports and Pins, Motor Outputs, check X,Y,Z and Spindle. (I left Step and Dir at 0,0 for all except Spindle that was 1,0 and checked active low for Dir and Step. Probably not necessary since it is a PWM interface, but those settings are working.)
    d. Ports and Pins, Input signals, I have checked
    i. Probe, port 3 pin 3
    ii. Estop, port 3 pin 1
    iii. OEM Trig #1, port 3 pin 5
    iv. OEM Trig #2, Port 3 pin 6
    v. OEM Trig#3, port 3 pin 7
    vi. OEM Trig#4, port 3, pin 8
    e. Ports and Pins, Output Signals, I have checked
    i. Enable1, port 1 pin 14
    ii. Output #1 port 1 pin 17
    f. Ports and Pins, Encoder/MPG (I have added a manual pulse generator hand control)
    i. MPG#1 checked, all 0 settings, counts/U 1, Velocity 100
    g. Ports and Pins, Spindle Set-up
    i. Uncheck “Disable Spindle Relays (Probably not needed)
    ii. Check “Use Spindle Motor Output”
    iii. Check “PWM Control”
    iv. Uncheck Step/Dir
    v. Set base PWM Freq to 500
    vi. Set min PWM to 0%
    vii. All other boxes on that page are unchecked
    h. Set Config, Spindle Pulleys, Current pulley Number 4, min speed 0 max speed 24000, ratio 1.
    i. That’s it for my machine.
    j. To test:
    i. Set VFD rotary switch to PC control
    ii. Go to Mach3 main screen, and press Spindle Speed, then spindle CW F5 button.
    iii. Spindle should start. If it does not, look at VFD display and verify it has a number showing like 16000+/-, then press the RUN button it should start.
    iv. Use speed rate override to 160% to get full speed 24000.
    v. Turn off spindle with same button Spindle CW F5.
    vi. Then go to MDI tab on Mach3.
    vii. On the input line type in M3 to turn on spindle.
    viii. Type input of M5 to turn off spindle.

That’s it. I hope yours works. This took a lot of cross referencing other suggestions, then test and debug to find the right settings. Good luck.
    Yes it’s a nice mechanical machine, and electrical is good, and a good value for what you get, but why can’t they provide accurate directions and manuals?! This reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon story line….

Downloads
    Uploads

CNC 6040 Setup for Mach3
    David P
    2-23-19

I have the 1500W router spindle with PRT-E1500W VFD. I bought this in Jan 2019, so that is the approximate date of manufacture. Other dates may vary.

Mach 3 wouldn’t control the router until I did the following:
    1. Reset VFD to factory settings:
    a. Set D001 to 1
    b. Set D176 to 1
    2. Set for 400 Hz VFD vs 50Hz factory default setting
    a. Set D09=400
    b. Set D00 to 400
    c. Set D002 to 400
    d. Set D000 to 400
    e. Set D003 to 400
    f. Set D009 to 400
    g. Set D021 to 400
    h. Set D093 to 400
    3. Set VFD to receive input frequency from front panel “AVI” terminal (rotary pot)
    a. Set D031 to 1
    4. Set VFD front panel display to show in RPM vs Hz.
    a. Set D039 to 1
    5. Set VFD to operate off of both Manual and PC input Switch
    a. Set D032 to 0
    i. Note: after completing setup sequence, make sure to test manual with rotary switch in Manual, and PC/Mach3 in PC rotary setting. Note if the PC mode shows the numbers increase on front panel display but does not start the spindle, you need to press the ON button on front panel to enable spindle. After that it will remain in PC control of ON/OFF.
    6. Set up Mach3 on PC to control VFD:
    a. Mach3, Config, Ports and Pins, check port 1 and port 2 (Note, my machine does not use the parallel port, instead a USB interface to a “sort-of smart card” inside the main enclosure. In order to get the initial settings right and Mach3 code for the machine with configuration data, I opened the enclosure, found the small smart board, read off the manufacturer and model, then google searched for it, and found the USA source for the device. They had a very “minimal” web site that allowed download of the Mach3 program and config, and that was my starting point. My factory CD was corrupted or worthless and didn’t work on a Windows 7 machine).
    b. Set Kernel speed for 25000 Hz.
    c. Ports and Pins, Motor Outputs, check X,Y,Z and Spindle. (I left Step and Dir at 0,0 for all except Spindle that was 1,0 and checked active low for Dir and Step. Probably not necessary since it is a PWM interface, but those settings are working.)
    d. Ports and Pins, Input signals, I have checked
    i. Probe, port 3 pin 3
    ii. Estop, port 3 pin 1
    iii. OEM Trig #1, port 3 pin 5
    iv. OEM Trig #2, Port 3 pin 6
    v. OEM Trig#3, port 3 pin 7
    vi. OEM Trig#4, port 3, pin 8
    e. Ports and Pins, Output Signals, I have checked
    i. Enable1, port 1 pin 14
    ii. Output #1 port 1 pin 17
    f. Ports and Pins, Encoder/MPG (I have added a manual pulse generator hand control)
    i. MPG#1 checked, all 0 settings, counts/U 1, Velocity 100
    g. Ports and Pins, Spindle Set-up
    i. Uncheck “Disable Spindle Relays (Probably not needed)
    ii. Check “Use Spindle Motor Output”
    iii. Check “PWM Control”
    iv. Uncheck Step/Dir
    v. Set base PWM Freq to 500
    vi. Set min PWM to 0%
    vii. All other boxes on that page are unchecked
    h. Set Config, Spindle Pulleys, Current pulley Number 4, min speed 0 max speed 24000, ratio 1.
    i. That’s it for my machine.
    j. To test:
    i. Set VFD rotary switch to PC control
    ii. Go to Mach3 main screen, and press Spindle Speed, then spindle CW F5 button.
    iii. Spindle should start. If it does not, look at VFD display and verify it has a number showing like 16000+/-, then press the RUN button it should start.
    iv. Use speed rate override to 160% to get full speed 24000.
    v. Turn off spindle with same button Spindle CW F5.
    vi. Then go to MDI tab on Mach3.
    vii. On the input line type in M3 to turn on spindle.
    viii. Type input of M5 to turn off spindle.

That’s it. I hope yours works. This took a lot of cross referencing other suggestions, then test and debug to find the right settings. Good luck.
    Yes it’s a nice mechanical machine, and electrical is good, and a good value for what you get, but why can’t they provide accurate directions and manuals?! This reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon story line….

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RoddQLD View Post
    As written in my first post "I have a 6040 CNC with the VFD and control box as shown in the attached photo. (mine has PRT-E1500W written above the LED display)."

I made sure that I didn't import my CNC machine and bought it from an Australian seller/importer because if it is sold within Australia it is covered by Australian consumer laws.
    We have a Department of fair trading that enforces consumer rights. I have been involved with them before and they can be very serious people when you are on the wrong side of them and my business was located 300 km's away from our major city. There is a minimum warranty period for all new goods sold in Australia. Ultimately, it doesn't matter at this stage as I am only asking that someone can jot down (or compare) the settings that I have given.
    As an electrician and computer technician I am happy to evaluate whether the settings may apply. If someone gives me the settings from the same machine and only one setting appears out of whack then I have something to work with.
    At the moment I have a brand new machine sitting here that I cannot use at all and it may just be due to one of those settings.
    I know this is an old post but both eBay and Paypal have now become a law unto themselves and to hell with Fair Trading NSW. I'm in western Sydney, same scenario except the seller is happy to now give me a refund providing I send it back to China?? I bought the damn thing from a suburb not 15 minutes from me but nope if I want my money back I have to float up a wallet full of money to ship it to China registered post!!
    Taff

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, I am new also and I have bought a 800W 4axis CNC 3040T machine and I have it all working on Mach3 but not the spindle. I am having trouble working out the settings for the controller box. I too have changed the settings and now I can't get back to the original. I have the list of settings and I can set it all back to default but it always comes back to 50.00 on the screen. Manually this setting 50.00 will run the spindle only for a few seconds.
    Can anyone help?
    What am I missing?
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Rkjt View Post
    Hi, I am new also and I have bought a 800W 4axis CNC 3040T machine and I have it all working on Mach3 but not the spindle. I am having trouble working out the settings for the controller box. I too have changed the settings and now I can't get back to the original. I have the list of settings and I can set it all back to default but it always comes back to 50.00 on the screen. Manually this setting 50.00 will run the spindle only for a few seconds.
    Can anyone help?
    What am I missing?
    Thanks
    Make sure D001=1 if this is 0 then it is locked

Mactec54

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123