CNC4PC system using C76, C78, DG4S servo drives and UCCNC

Thread: CNC4PC system using C76, C78, DG4S servo drives and UCCNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC4PC system using C76, C78, DG4S servo drives and UCCNC

Hi all,

While experienced in general CNC operation this is my first build of a new controller and I need some basic questions answered. I've got most everything assembled and am now ready to get the servos moving.

So this is a beginners question.

The UCCNC axis configuration section is asking for the PINS and PORTS of my servo connections. I know which pins these are on the RJ45 connectors but don't understand that in relation to the UCCNC configuration sheet.

On my RJ45 connectors going from the servos into the DG4S drive I have the following pin outs:

1. Ground
    2. 5v+
    3. empty
    4. empty
    5. A+ signal
    6. A- signal
    7. B+ signal
    8. B- signal

This was easy to come up with........I just followed the directions.

What I don't get is how this relates to the UCCNC axis configuration page.

I believe that A= steps and B=direction. But the configuration page only asks for a STEP pin and PORT, and a DIR pin and PORT.

So seemingly the STEP pin would be either #5 (A+) or # 6 (A-).........but which? And what is the PORT number? The C76 UC300ETH control board has inputs and outputs for Ports 1 and 2 but the RJ45 axis connectors on the C78 board don't specify a port number. Then the same question of course for the DIRECTION pin and port. I can't find any reference to this in the manuals for any of these components.

I've done a lot of digging online and have a better understanding of servo operation because of it but still haven't found an explanation for this beginners level question.

Attached is a photo of the control panel as it currently stands. Also attached is a servo wiring diagram in .pdf format showing the DB15 pin outs from the old Precix router, the old Precix servo wiring and the new UCCNC servo DB15 to RJ45 wiring. I'm leaving the DB15 connectors in the circuit so I can revert back and forth from the new to the old (still working) Precix controller as needed until the new on has been completed.

I am in touch with Arturo at CNC4PC on this project but don't want to bother him with beginners questions.

Thanks,
    BH

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC4PC system using C76, C78, DG4S servo drives and UCCNC-img_0204-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC4PC system using C76, C78, DG4S servo drives and UCCNC

Look at section 8.3 (page 11) of the C76 manual.

RJ45_1 uses port 1 pin 2 for X step (1_2) and port 1 pin 3 for the X Dir. (1_3)

The rest should be self explanatory...

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Look at section 8.3 (page 11) of the C76 manual.

RJ45_1 uses port 1 pin 2 for X step (1_2) and port 1 pin 3 for the X Dir. (1_3)

The rest should be self explanatory...

Jerry,

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated as it tells me what I need to know to fill into the UCCNC axis configuration chart. And you are right I should be able to take that format through the rest of the settings. I'd still like to a better understanding of the chart though.

I had studied that chart and did not see how it relates to the A+ and A- connections on the DG4S and the servo.

How is it indicating the RJ45-1 is PORT 1? Just the fact that it comes first in the (1_2) statement? Or is RJ45-1 on Port 1 while RJ45-2 (next column to the right) is on Port 2 and so on? I had just taken those 1 thru 10 RJ45 ID numbers to relate to the RJ45 connectors (#1 = X axis, #2 = Y axis etc.).

What does "P.P. Pin" stand for? Port - Pin ? That would seem to make sense.

And most important Pin 2 (1_2) on the DG4S drive is 5v+. And Pin 3 (1_3) on the drive is "not used". How does that figure in? Is it because the RJ45 cable from the servo goes into the SERVO connection on the DG4S while the cable from the C76/C78 is connected through the MAIN connection.......... and there is no direct pin number relation on the DG4S between the two connectors?

Thanks,
    BH

Last edited by bhdavis1cnc; 01-04-2021 at 04:09 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

1_2 means port 1 pin 2. These are the UCCNC port and pin numbers, not the pins on the drive.

All of them are labeled in the manual.

What does "P.P. Pin" stand for? Port - Pin ? That would seem to make sense.
    Probably parallel port pin, which is what the port and pin numbers originally came from.

The A+ A- B+ B- are the encoder signals from the motor, and have nothing to do with UCCNC or the C76.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    1_2 means port 1 pin 2. These are the UCCNC port and pin numbers, not the pins on the drive.

All of them are labeled in the manual.

Probably parallel port pin, which is what the port and pin numbers originally came from.

The A+ A- B+ B- are the encoder signals from the motor, and have nothing to do with UCCNC or the C76.
    Thank you Gerry. You tolerance of my ignorance on the subject is appreciated.

BH