Need Help! C11G Proper Jumpers and General Connection Advice

Thread: C11G Proper Jumpers and General Connection Advice

Downloads
    Uploads

Default C11G Proper Jumpers and General Connection Advice

Hello!

I've been reviewing the owner's manual and example configurations off of the C11G product page ( https://www.cnc4pc.com/c11g-multifun...cnc-board.html ), and am a bit confused on a few settings. Hoping someone here can help clear things up.

My Setup
    =======
    - Custom 4 axis CNC machine with stepper motors
    - Mach 3
    - Huanyang VFD and 2.2KW Water-cooled spindle (220V)
    - C11G Controller through parallel port and UC100 USB to Parallel Port converter

E-Stop
    =====
    Seems there are two options ( https://www.cnc4pc.com/pub/media/pro...les/WS_238.pdf ): (1) E-Stop as Input to Controller and (2) E-Stop as a Hardware Disable. Based on my understating, the hardware disable might be preferable, as it would basically stop the machine immediately bypassing a controller command. Am I understanding that correctly? Can I also wire 2 E-Stops in parallel to be able to stop the machine from various places, physically, on my CNC machine?

VFD Control
    =========
    I have the very common Huanyang VFD and matching 220v water-cooled spindle. Based on what I can see, I need to set the SCHP (charge pump) jumper to ON and configure Mach3 accordingly (aside from all of the other connections which I understand). Is that correct?

Operation Mode Jumpers
    =================
    I'm not sure whether I need to set the Operation Mode jumper to US or INT mode. This is is the wiring example I am following: cnc4pc.com/pub/media/productattachments/files/WS_90_V2.pdf ; Based on that, it seems the jumper should be in the US mode?

Stepper Motor Ports
    ===============
    I will be hooking up my 4-axis stepper motor controllers to OUTPUT ports 2-9. I have the COM jumper set to 2-3 (COM=GND). Based on this diagram: https://www.cnc4pc.com/pub/media/pro...iles/WS_91.pdf it seems I also need to put a jumper between 5V & EN on the OUTPUT side? Why or why not?

And if I am wiring the E-Stop for Hardware Disable (one side of the E-Stop runs to the EN port) should I still use that jumper and so have 5V "jumped" to EN, and EN also connected to the E-Stop(s)?

Anything Else
    ==========
    Based on my questions above and my hardware, are there any other gotachas that you can think of that I need to be aware of for any reason?

---

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has specific links to point me to where I can get answers, that is also great. Happy to read up and learn what I need to, to not fry my (new) system.

-- Kirill

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: C11G Proper Jumpers and General Connection Advice

Kirill,

Answers to your questions:

E-Stop: Yes, it is a better practice to wire e-stop in parallel with the EN terminal to use disable the hardware on e-stop. Otherwise, you will be at the mercy of the software to stop the machine. Consider that there could be a situation when the PC or software could be the reason why you need to use the e-stop, like a windows blue screen.

SCHP: It is also a better practice to use the SCHP, this will keep the outputs disabled until the software is in control of the system. The software would send a signal, similar to moving an axes, which will allow the C11G to know the software is in control and all other signals should also be valid.

VFD MODE: If you got the VFD in the US, the chances that it is in US Mode, in which case you will use Relay1 as CW On/Off and Relay2 as CCW On/Off. Note that you can also verify/change this in the settings of the FD.

Stepper Wiring: We recommend on our wiring diagrams to use active high wiring, which is to use a GND for Step- and Dir- and activate the signals with a positive as we use high power buffers. Most driver manufacturers suggest wiring using active low signals, as the instructions are generic, and they would work better that way when using a breakout board with weak signals. You can really use it either way.

Multiple E-Stop buttons and Enable: If using multiple e-stop buttons, you will wire them in series, not parallel. In this case, it is the e-stop buttons that are keeping the circuit closed, so they will replace the jumper.

Arturo Duncan
    https://cnc4pc.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Arturo, thank you for the detailed responses. A follow-up question:

So if I have multiple E-Stops (or even just 1 routed to the EN terminal) I don't need the jumper between 5V and EN?

Downloads
    Uploads

Keep in mind that it is +5vdc into the EN terminal what will keep the system active. The e-stop should feed those +5vdc into the EN terminal. The jumper is just if you do not want to wire the e-stop to the EN terminal.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Arturo! Makes very good sense and helps very much!

Downloads
    Uploads

I wanted to follow up with a question about E-stop and the C11G breakout board. I can't tell if it's how I've configured things or not, but I can't seem to get the E-stop to function like I expect it to. I have my E-stop wired between 5V out and EN (Where you would normally put a jumper). Then I have a jumper running from EN to pin 10 on the other side of the board.

The E-stop will kill the outputs (like I expect), but the problem lies in the communication with Mach 4 and pin 10. Here's where the problem falls... I've set Mach 4 up to use pin 10 for E-stop. My E-stop is using the always closed side, so when I press the button it opens the circuit, killing power to the outputs, and thus killing the 5v signal to pin 10.

In Mach 4, when the circuit is closed (Non-Estop scenario), it detects that we're in a E-stop scenario. I'm struggling to figure out how to change this. I've tried changing the Jumper for pin 10 to Pull-Up and Pull-Down, but I just can't determine how to solve this problem....

My understanding is, if it's in the Pull-Down configuration, it needs 5V power to trigger it. When it's in the Pull-Up configuration, it needs 0V or GND to trigger it on pin 10. The problem I believe (and I haven't checked with a multimeter yet) is that when the E-stop switch is activated, it doesn't complete remove voltage from the line, thus not triggering Pin 10 to tell Mach to go into E-stop state.

I'm probably missing something here either in my wiring, or in my settings in Mach. Some help would be appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

The idea is that the EN and pin 10 are connected in parallel with the line coming from the e-stop button. Pin 10 needs to have the jumper set to pull-down. So if left in the air, it will return a low, and the +5vdc coming from the e-stop button while closed keeps it active.
    Maybe you need to invert the active high on the input pin in the Mach4/Motion Controller configuration.

Check this sample wiring:

https://www.cnc4pc.com/pub/media/pro...s/4_c10r10.pdf

Arturo Duncan

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by arturod View Post
    The idea is that the EN and pin 10 are connected in parallel with the line coming from the e-stop button. Pin 10 needs to have the jumper set to pull-down. So if left in the air, it will return a low, and the +5vdc coming from the e-stop button while closed keeps it active.
    Maybe you need to invert the active high on the input pin in the Mach4/Motion Controller configuration.

Check this sample wiring:

https://www.cnc4pc.com/pub/media/pro...s/4_c10r10.pdf

Arturo Duncan
    I think you're right... I have my equipment wired correctly, but I need to make sure I have my jumper set correctly, and then I need to find how to invert the active high on Mach4.

I'll look into that next.