C11S Spindle Relays won't activate

Thread: C11S Spindle Relays won't activate

Downloads
    Uploads

Default C11S Spindle Relays won't activate

Been struggling with this for a couple days now, perhaps I'm doing it completely wrong. Running Mach 3, C11S, USS, Little Machine Shop Spindle control for SX3. I have the spindle output set for step pin 14, direction pin 16 under motor outputs, jumpers on the board are set to INT mode, which I believe is correct for this. Spindle setup is in PWM mode, Disable spindle relays box is not checked. I followed the directions on the Warp 9 website for setting up the smoothstepper (uss) plugin for PWM spindle mode and setting pwm frequencies. When I turn the spindle on and change directions the Output LEDs for pins 14 and 16 go on and off, but the relays do nothing. They do not open and close, no clicks, the relays LEDs do not light. The 0-10v output does go up and down as I scale the rpm with the spindle on, seems like everything works except for the 2 relays. Probably doesn't mean anything but the 3rd relays for the safety charge pump on pin 17 works fine. I'm not sure what I'm missing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: C11S Spindle Relays won't activate

What you are doing seems fine. I will try to do a complete list of things to consider:

- Here is a link to the manual: http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C11S-R1%202_USER_MANUAL.pdf
    - This circuit, pinout, and configuration is the same as what is found in the C62, C32S, C11G Rev9 and up, C11GS, and C41 boards. Only the C62, C32S, and C41 have internal DC-DC converter to generate the isolated power for the circuit, other boards will require an external +12vdc or in many cases the circuit can be powered by the +10vdc reference voltage from the VFD or speed controller.
    - You need to configure the ESS for spindle control with PWM at 1000HZ.
    - Under Ports and Pins:
    o Motors: Enable Spindle and assign pins 14 and 16 for step and dir on port 1 as active high (unchecked).
    o Output Pins: Make sure you do not assign pins 14 and 16 to anything else.
    o Spindle: Enable Spindle Control with PWM at 1000HZ and disable the spindle relays. Yes, keep in mind that you are not controlling the relays individually, the circuit on the board controls them, it just needs to know if you are using US or International mode.
    - Under Motor Tuning, just make sure you set velocity and acceleration to the maximum.
    - Under Spindle Pulley, set the max speed for the spindle and the minimum leave it at 0. Yes, as there is a bug in Mach3 and it really does not scale it correctly.
    - The VFD needs to be wired correctly and set to be operated from the terminals.

Some troubleshooting tips are:
    - The LEDs for pins 14 and 16 should light as start the spindle and command it to go CW and CCW. Note that the LED for pin 14 will light with intensity proportional to the commanded speed. This will tell you that your configuration is OK.
    - The analog output can be checked with a multimeter and the relays 1 and 2 have LEDs that show the status of the relay. You can also hear them click or feel them if you put your thumb on it. You can also use a multimeter to confirm that the circuit is closing. You can also do these verifications at the terminals of the VFD, just to ensure that the signals are getting there OK.

If the problem continues, please feel free to open a ticket in our website and we will give you a hand with this: https://cnc4pc.com/contact/

Arturo Duncan
    Welcome to CNC4PC

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Arturo, thanks for the response. I believe I have all of that stuff correct. The pin 14 is proportional to the spindle speed. Today when I started it up things were just like they were before, then the relays randomly started working for awhile, then they stopped working again. Now it seems like they're working more often than not but they're still not always coming on. Also sometime when they do come on with M3 or M4, they stay on for awhile and then just turn off randomly with out me touching anything. I've doubled and triple checked my wiring, all the connections are good. I've changed out the 5v power supply to the C11 several different times, my thoughts were that the first one might not have been supplying enough power (it was rated for 1500ma), but symptoms seem to be the same no matter which one I use. Right now it's on a PC power supply (a stand alone one, not the one in the mach 3 computer) that has 30a on the 5v rail, so I don't think that could be the issue. The relays just seem to work or not work at random. I'm wondering if something may have gone wrong on the board at this point. I can't think of anything else that explains the randomness of the issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

Like I told told you in the last email, please open a ticket in our website using the link that I sent you and include a copy of your XML file, and I will gladly check it for you.

Arturo Duncan
    Welcome to CNC4PC

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again for the support Arturo, seems like I have it figured out. I was close with my power to the board theory, but it turned out to be the power to the smooth stepper. It's the USB version which can be powered through the USB plug, but I guess either the power supply in the PC was lacking or the USB cord was no good. I switched the jumper over and powered the USS direct from the mill controller power supply and all seems well. Thanks again.

Downloads
    Uploads

I am glad to hear you are back up again. That one was one of the tough ones. In the troubleshooting bag of tricks we have: "With a multimeter check the voltage at all the power terminals".

Arturo Duncan
    Welcome to CNC4PC