New Machine Build And now for something completely rediculous

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: And now for something completely rediculous

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question And now for something completely rediculous

Buddy of mine had some extra 3/16" x 6" plate steel, so we built some special forms. They will never be removed; they will serve to keep the concrete from chipping and hold paint a lot better than concrete.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-15401726773_orig-jpg   And now for something completely rediculous-15401726776_orig-jpg   And now for something completely rediculous-15473197289_orig-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default more

Frame designed in Rhino, in metric. 1kw AC servos (4 ea). planning on 2 ea watercooled, ATC spindles. And lots of coffee.

Machine is 4000 mm long. Gantry is 2400mm wide. Z travel/clearance will be 300 mm, to allow for rotary fixtures at a later time.

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-gantry-wall-iso-jpg   And now for something completely rediculous-machine-complete-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default parts

Some parts collected so far. 4000mm and 2400mm HGR25 rails not depicted. Much, much more is en route.

Main frame will weigh 4500lbs, gantry walls weigh 100 ea, gantry beam weights around 364 lbs.

Cant wait to take some real pics of the frame in 2-3 months. I think it is visiting the orient right now.

Rob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-15477211090_orig-jpg   And now for something completely rediculous-base-pads-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default nice design

Nice clean design very simlar to mine design im working on.. i was planning for my next cnc

I have a few questions...

1. The side y long rail support.. I noticed you have a bracket on the underside
    can you post a picture of it, Also like to see you rack pinion drive setup...
    for this machine....

2. I notice 2 spindles, both act.. nice!!! where did you source it.. is it offshore?

3.Do you know what brand name you have if its offshore?
    4.Where will your echain be sitting? on back side?
    5. Will the frame be all welded ...or some bolt together members for future removal if you need to relocate the unit?
    6.what cad package did you model you design in .

very nice build will be watching this build closely , good luck with it!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Nice

Looks like a great project...keep posting photos!

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice - can't wait to watch it come together.

And I thought mine was heavy ..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile even more rediculous

My leveling feet just showed up. JG Wenco, M30 x 3.5. Why yes, it will support over six times the routers weight on each foot... lol.

The pad is 6" diameter... cool.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-m30-leveling-feet-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

1. I am rebelliously calling the long axis the X axis.
    2. Currently looking at Keling CNC for the 2.2Kw ATC. Have not purchased yet.
    3. Definitely offshore. If anyone has used these, please let me know.
    4. E Chain will be on the back side. Will be using 2 pieces of angle iron to support it along the length.
    5. Frame is all welded. The Gantry walls can be disassembled from the beam, but thats it. 4 pieces total.
    6. Design modeled in Rhino 4.0 (my favorite), and converted back and forth between metric and SAE so many times it makes my head hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by eloid View Post
    Nice clean design very simlar to mine design im working on.. i was planning for my next cnc

I have a few questions...

1. The side y long rail support.. I noticed you have a bracket on the underside
    can you post a picture of it, Also like to see you rack pinion drive setup...
    for this machine....

2. I notice 2 spindles, both act.. nice!!! where did you source it.. is it offshore?

3.Do you know what brand name you have if its offshore?
    4.Where will your echain be sitting? on back side?
    5. Will the frame be all welded ...or some bolt together members for future removal if you need to relocate the unit?
    6.what cad package did you model you design in .

very nice build will be watching this build closely , good luck with it!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-x-axis-r-p-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbrat View Post
    3. Definitely offshore. If anyone has used these, please let me know.
    4. E Chain will be on the back side. Will be using 2 pieces of angle iron to support it along the length.
    5. Frame is all welded. The Gantry walls can be disassembled from the beam, but thats it. 4 pieces total.
    6. Design modeled in Rhino 4.0 (my favorite), and converted back and forth between metric and SAE so many times it makes my head hurt.
    RE: #5
    ...so are you planning on moving the beast, at 4500 lbs...it should take at least 5 of your girlfriends to help

Downloads
    Uploads

do you have the side view of the r/p set up, is this direct drive if not what the gear ratio... and size of motors

Downloads
    Uploads

My leveling feet just showed up. JG Wenco, M30 x 3.5. Why yes, it will support over six times the routers weight on each foot... lol.

The pad is 6" diameter... cool.
    the pads are for "increase the working hight of the machine from floor"

Downloads
    Uploads

Or correctly calling it X.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, Ger... someone agrees .

The servos are going to be a little smaller than depicted. I am using 1kw AC servos from automation direct... I tend to like businesses that display pricing.

The motor depicted is the medium inertia, but I am going to use the low inertia. It will be a little more compact. I learned today that the 1Kw medium and the 1Kw low inertia differ in torque by 30%+. I also learned that this torque is derived from the rotor housing weight spinning at 3000 rpm. In stopping this servo, and reversing directions, the medium inertia would be a waste of energy. Well, between that, and the inertia matching data that Atlanta provided me, I have decided that the low inertia is the better choice for me.

Servos will be mounted to Stober gearboxes. The gearboxes have an iso-flange pinion mounted to the output flange. Gearbox backlash is less than 2 minutes, and the pinion is 55.2mm pitch dia. In a perfect situation (the frame being made from absolutely rigid anti-matter, and being machined perfectly straight), I can achieve 0.0013" of backlash. Good enough for me.

The gearboxes are mounted to a ~1" steel plate, that is placed into a pocket on the gantry wall. This way, I can take up the slack as required between the pinion and rack by moving the mount plate via a bolt (not depicted yet).

Ratio is 10:1. Because I am not an applications engineer for all of the components that I am using, most of the design is based on machines I have seen, and any other information my machinist has managed to beat into my head over the last 5 years. I will not be apologizing at this time for copying good designs... I would be silly not to.

I plan on posting information on the control cabinet, to gather more information and make sure I only have to buy once. This forum helped me build my first router 5 years ago; this time I do intend to document the build a lot better.

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-detail-gearbox-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice looking machine. It's similar to what I'm working on as well, but my gantry will be a bit different. But the 1kW servos (although mine are ebay specials), rack and pinion drive and dual spindles are similar although I'm going to do dual screws on my z axes and have one router and one milling / drill head and sadly no ATC's (maybe in the future).

Have you worked out any details of your rack and pinion setup yet and how you'll eliminate backlash in it? From your drawing you have a helical rack, but any details other than that?

Do your concrete bases just sit on the floor or are they bonded or bolted to it? If your frame weighs 4500 pounds, you probably won't have issues, but I'm planning on something a bit lighter and am worried about the machine walking itself around over the floor. I'm calculating I'd need a minimum coefficient of friction between the machine and the floor of 0.5 to prevent it from walking around under max accel or decel. I'm just wondering how you approached this.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gearboxes are mounted to a 1" plate, that can slide in a slot on the gantry wall. Instead of clearance holes, there are slots in the gantry wall to accommodate fasteners. A single bolt will draw the 1" plate vertically (meshing the rack and pinion), and then the 6 bolts (in slots) will be tightened.

The concrete bases have three anchors holding the steel in place, and then the concrete. As the base does weigh a lot, I should not have issues. I am thinking of somehow boring shallow pockets into the concrete to retain the leveling feet, but this is probably unnecessary. We will see how it acts with max accel/decel. I might simply pin the leveling feet to the concrete with additional anchors if it comes to that.

Cheers!

Downloads
    Uploads

Given the speeds this machine should be capable of given the weight and rigidity, you might want to go to the more powerful spindles. A 2.2 Kw spindle will simply not be able to take the depth of cuts and cutting speeds this design should be capable of.

I don't know if you have seen this thread or not. They also built a nice heavy router: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65996

bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very familiar with that thread... I think it gave me the motivation to persue a larger project.

As far as the spindles are concerned, I am looking for lightweight and quiet, with ATC. I am not going to be processing sheet goods with this machine. My mainstay is 3-D carving using 1/8" ball-end mills. I use a 0.010" step-over, and usually carve 0.500" deep at the most. Therefore, the cutting load is negligible for 95% of what I do.

Rob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Aluminum work

This is the beginnings of the aluminum work. As you can see, I have some heavy de-burring work ahead of me. Holes we milled no deeper than 0.875 from surface, to be finish drill on a drill press.

We had problems getting Enroute software to create some of the code. We also were using O-flute aluminum cutting end mills. Great for removing the material and profiling, but terrible surface finish where the bottom of the tool was. Great on the sides!

A roughing cut was made around the perimeter of each part, leaving 0.010" of material for the final pass. We did not do this on the spindle mounts, so the finish is not as good.

I think we destroyed 200 dollars in stock and 200 dollars in materials, but I can complain. I did this machining with my good friend as a work-exchange. I think I will be owing him for a while

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-16265843577_orig-jpeg   And now for something completely rediculous-16265843587_orig-jpeg   And now for something completely rediculous-16265843592_orig-jpeg   And now for something completely rediculous-16265843600_orig-jpeg  

And now for something completely rediculous-16265843604_orig-jpeg   And now for something completely rediculous-16265843611_orig-jpeg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default more

more pics

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-16265843622_orig-jpeg   And now for something completely rediculous-16265843630_orig-jpeg   And now for something completely rediculous-16265843636_orig-jpeg   And now for something completely rediculous-16267485459_orig-jpeg  

And now for something completely rediculous-16267485492_orig-jpeg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default rhino drawings

Forgot to include these

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-ff-jpg   And now for something completely rediculous-gg-jpg  

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast