New Machine Build And now for something completely rediculous - Page 5

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: And now for something completely rediculous

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a seriously awesome build... can't wait to see more...

About the ethernet cables... I have a friend who sets up home entertainment and automation systems, and asked him the same question about interference. He told me it's the way the pairs of wires are twisted that gives it protection from interference...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Or correctly calling it X.
    I called my last long axis Y....The one I'm currently building however is called Albert I build it and get to name it.....I wonder If I can change the image in Mach

Looks a big strong boy you're building in this thread!

Keith

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default More eyecandy

Machine frame should be in my shop within 10 days. I took some vacation time to receive it, and to work on the Enclosure project.

Machinist is still plucking away at the aluminum parts. So far, here is the progress. This is the Z axis assembly, prior to, and during the machining of the spindle clamps on the spindle plates.

More to follow. Cheers!

Rob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-123zaxis-aluminum-jpg   And now for something completely rediculous-123zaxis-machop-jpg   And now for something completely rediculous-123zaxismachop-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

why does your machinist hate you? lol we love doin stuff like that!!

hey who did your casting for you? i need to get my 4th axis casted...i was gonna mill it, but its just over kill. im building one for my final design project, and im tryin to get everything lined up so when i get my electronics and materials it will be as smooth as possible!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb

Machinist hates me because he wants his life back. And, he prefers steel to aluminum... because: "Steel is real"... lol.

Casting was done by Clarksville Foundry. Located in Clarksville, TN. They do cast iron and cast stainless. If you can make your own pattern/coreboxes, the pricing is very good. Plus, cast iron is awesome!

Cheers!

Rob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbrat View Post
    Machinist hates me because he wants his life back. And, he prefers steel to aluminum... because: "Steel is real"... lol.

Casting was done by Clarksville Foundry. Located in Clarksville, TN. They do cast iron and cast stainless. If you can make your own pattern/coreboxes, the pricing is very good. Plus, cast iron is awesome!

Cheers!

Rob
    im building my own 5 axis cnc...and i plan on going big enough i will need a cast iron base...im not sure with ways or rails though...i think ways as i will be maxing out at around 200 pounds or so...if that....well actually...maybe more because x will be carrying the a/b axis's...what do you think???

anyways...ill be glad to take your money if you machinist decides he doesnt have time for you parts or starts slackin off!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Duly noted (who I can send money to ).

Not knowing what kind/size machine you are building, it is hard to submit an opinion on the rails vs ways. Well, here goes anyway!

For something controlled by servos, I think that in order to get the stiffness you need and the efficiency that you want, rails are the way to go. More stiffness could be had with ways, but at the cost of efficiency. Now with some good rails (perhaps with rollers, rather than balls), you get it all.

Good luck with your build. Hope to see some pics of it soon.

Rob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Duly noted (who I can send money to ).

Not knowing what kind/size machine you are building, it is hard to submit an opinion on the rails vs ways. Well, here goes anyway!

For something controlled by servos, I think that in order to get the stiffness you need and the efficiency that you want, rails are the way to go. More stiffness could be had with ways, but at the cost of efficiency. Now with some good rails (perhaps with rollers, rather than balls), you get it all.

Good luck with your build. Hope to see some pics of it soon.

Rob

me to! im gonna get some foam and start forming the machine base. once i get that done, should be a breeze.

i think rails would be the way to go aswell...still need to have the mounting surfaces machined though. im gonna start drawing in solidoworks soon...tryin to open a business and workin 10 hour days at my real job is pretty tuff on the hobby time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Machinist is still plucking away at the aluminum parts. So far, here is the progress. This is the Z axis assembly, prior to, and during the machining of the spindle clamps on the spindle plates.
    How will you get the inactive spindles out of the way? Is there going to be some kind of mechanism to pull them out of the way? I saw a router on You Tube once that had the spindles mounted in a turret. Was kind of cool...

This is going to be one great machine! While I am here, have you guys made progress on the bandsaw that you made the casting for? I would love to see how that turned out.

bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bob,

The spindles will not be getting out of the way. I may find the need to shut one of the vfd's down, and remove the tool rack for the second spindle. This machine is made to mass produce small items.
    Progress will be slow on the bandsaw. It was machined a few weeks ago and came out great. I will post an update of that. I dont expect the bandsaw to be completed for a couple of years.

Rob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

spoiledbrat where can i find info on how to make my sand casting so it can be poured? i going to order some foam blocks in the next few days and see if i can fit them in the cnc machine at work lol

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default update

Here is the latest. Panel work, partially completed (I think I have just scratched the surface here. Main power into the box is plumbed in, and major components are in place. Time to break out the flashlights and magnifying glasses for those wire colors!) I had to put the panel in the box temporarily because
    THE FRAME WILL BE HERE IN 36 HOURS.
    Sorry for shouting. It was either that, or wet myself from excitement.
    Machinist is still working on the aluminum. So far, it looks like a gem.
    Well, that is all for now. I should be able to post more shortly.

Cheers!

Rob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-panel-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Frame is here...

Frame just showed up. Amazing piece of work it is. Funny how small it looked on CAD, and just how ridiculous it is sitting in my shop. Top notch work from Kirk and his colleagues at Majestic Machinery. Already looking forward to the next build...

Lots of leveling to do, and some welding. Cable carriers should be ordered today. I think the X axis cable carrier is going to be almost 9" wide, as spec'd by the manufacturer, to insure cable longevity.

Attaching a picture of my leveling feet setup. The 3/16" plates on top of my parking curbs will be welded in place with weight on them. Once that is good, I intend to weld the feet to those plates using a few 1" beads. This is to prevent any sliding around. If I find that vibration is out of control, I can grind off those beads, and place some kind of friction mat beneath.

Still looking at about 4 months to completion, or better. Trying to be careful and methodical with everything, leaning heavily upon the experience and knowledge of friends on the Zone.

Cheers!

Rob

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-20864167931_orig-jpg   And now for something completely rediculous-happy-home-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi spoiledbrat

Looks great

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

That's one beefy frame! Would make a great pool table!

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice! The shop looks too nice to cover in sawdust (said after I spent all afternoon vacuuming up a few months worth of stray sawdust in my old shop).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

More pics

Thanks MacTec54!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely rediculous-wiring-top-jpg   And now for something completely rediculous-detail-jpg   And now for something completely rediculous-bolted-together-jpg  
    Last edited by spoiledbrat; 07-01-2010 at 11:10 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can't wait to see some pics of it cutting . That machine is awesome! Well done spoiledbrat.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

great piece of work

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

oops...

Have to rewire the main/control circuit wiring. forgot to twist my wires. LOL. I guess the first time is always the most expensive.

Cheers!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast